The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-20-2018, 05:11 AM

Default replacing my piezo with K&K pure mini issue?

so I have a fishman sonotone piezo pickup in my guitar. im going to take that out and replace it with a K&K mini. I have just purchased a new saddle as the piezo adds height under the saddle

heres the question

the way that a piezo is installed is in the saddle of the guitar bridge. there are 2 little holes in the bridge so the piezo can be fed through.

will these 2 mini drill holes effect the sound of the k&K pure mini once installed?
Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

They shouldn't? The K&K is installed on the bridge plate. Underneath the bridge and saddle.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-20-2018, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisme View Post
so I have a fishman sonotone piezo pickup in my guitar. im going to take that out and replace it with a K&K mini. I have just purchased a new saddle as the piezo adds height under the saddle

heres the question

the way that a piezo is installed is in the saddle of the guitar bridge. there are 2 little holes in the bridge so the piezo can be fed through.

will these 2 mini drill holes effect the sound of the k&K pure mini once installed?
Nope. At least not in my experience. I've done that same minor surgery a few times, and there is a definite change in tone due to the soundboard TD as opposed to piezo, but not due to two tiny perforations in the bridge.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:45 AM

Two holes into the saddle slot? Sometimes its good to drill a bit of slot extension on the far end from where the pickup is threaded through, but I don't know why there would be two holes going through the bridge to the saddle slot. I've found only one hole with the three Sonicore systems which I've removed.

By the way, the K&K Pure Mini employs piezo crystals and could also be classified as a piezo pickup. I don't know why the term "piezo" has become synonimus with undersaddle pickups.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:05 AM

Regardless of the origin of the two small holes, they are irrelevant and there are likely several other small holes you can't see which were used for alignment in the construction of the guitar.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-20-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisme View Post

heres the question

No, the sonitone is essentially the same braided pickup as the LR Baggs element. Removing the pickup, and installing a replacement saddle, will have no negative effect on tone. In fact, if you use the same material for the saddle it should be a slight improvement. If you use a different material for the saddle, you'll probably be hearing mostly the material change. The small holes are inconsequential.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:02 AM

Just to be clear - the K&K mini is a piezo pickup, as well.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:54 AM

Thanks for the replies. Your right it is one hole in the bridge. Turns out I’m going to sell my guitar that I was going to put the k&k in. Just can’t get on with the neck it’s to slim
Old 08-16-2018, 06:19 AM

cool let us know when it's NGD..!
Old 08-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

You don't have to remove the UST and redo the saddle. You can just clip the leads off the piezo flush so nothing protrudes through the bridge plate. then mount the K&K.

For the most part having the piezo UST under your saddle doesn't affect the acoustic tone of your guitar. (Some may argue that). But my point is you can clip the lead off the UST, install the K&K, and string it up and see how it sounds. You don't have to replace the saddle if you really don't want to. Of course, you can swap out the saddle. But you don't have to if you don't feel like messing with getting it the proper height and intonation and notched.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:22 PM

The two holes are not relevant to the K&K mounting on the underside of the bridgeplate. You are good to go. I agree too that you could clip the leads and leave the saddle that is already there. Either way, the two holes will have no effect on your K&K.
Davidc
Old 08-16-2018, 01:35 PM

i personally would re do the saddle. Your guitar
should sound better with a one peice bone in there.
But if your selling it than don't bother.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic guitar, k&k pure mini, peizo, pick up, pick up install