The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-06-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeG View Post
The S1 seem to be lack of controls by itself compare to the others products like the Fishman Mini Charge, Elite Acoustics A4-8 or D6-8, Acue One for Street, and the AER compact mobile 2. Is the weight and Lithium options out weight the lack of control?
Ah, the $64,000 question. We all value different features differently. Bluetooth connectivity, battery power, number of inputs, size, brand reputation, reliability, power, weight, sound, controls, etc. etc. etc... Gotta weigh it all out for yourself! But it's great that there are so many great options to choose from, for sure. I went with the Bose S1 Pro.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 09-06-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I've been playing around with my Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge today at home. Made a little recording with this new Martin Cutaway DC-18E I just got. I may have dialed in a little too much Boss RV-6 Shimmer Reverb, but got a very pleasing sound and thought I would share:

Very nice playing! That Loudbox Mini hits above its weight for sure. I also own one and think it's fantastic, especially as I am getting into vocals as well.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Ah, the $64,000 question. We all value different features differently. Bluetooth connectivity, battery power, number of inputs, size, brand reputation, reliability, power, weight, sound, controls, etc. etc. etc... Gotta weigh it all out for yourself! But it's great that there are so many great options to choose from, for sure. I went with the Bose S1 Pro.
The S1 Pro definitely has the brand reputation and size/weight advantages.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

FYI - I took my Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge to a gig I played at an assisted living facility. I performed in a room for around 40 people. I figured the Fishman LB Mini Charge was the right tool for job.

I set it up a chair a little bit behind me to get it off the ground and more at ear level.

Tried the best I could to get a great sound. But have to report I was underwhelmed. It worked fine. Don't get me wrong. It just didn't 'sound' all that great. Vocals particularly average at best. I don't do many gigs this small or intimate, otherwise my experience made me want to reconsider the Bose S1.

Real talk.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-07-2018, 08:00 PM

Any chance to compare the S1 and the Mini charge side by side and give us some reviews?
Old 10-08-2018, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeG View Post
Any chance to compare the S1 and the Mini charge side by side and give us some reviews?
I don't own an S1, so I cannot accommodate the request for a comparison demo.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-08-2018, 01:25 PM

Just sidetrack a little bit.
Last night I tried hook up FM mini as the slave of Bose S1 (1/4" cable from Line Out @ BS1 to Instrument jack @ FM mini).
Result: It created some impressive sound to my ears (compares to FM mini alone or Bose S1 alone). I'm not talking about sound volume (loudness) but in over all sound, it seemed like I could manipulate more from these 2 than each one alone.

But actually I'm not really surprise of the outcome. It's just the combination of 2 good devices into one that of course will naturally better than just one alone on its own!
Old 10-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by napman View Post
Just sidetrack a little bit.
Last night I tried hook up FM mini as the slave of Bose S1 (1/4" cable from Line Out @ BS1 to Instrument jack @ FM mini).
Result: It created some impressive sound to my ears (compares to FM mini alone or Bose S1 alone). I'm not talking about sound volume (loudness) but in over all sound, it seemed like I could manipulate more from these 2 than each one alone.

But actually I'm not really surprise of the outcome. It's just the combination of 2 good devices into one that of course will naturally better than just one alone on its own!
What is a FM Mini? I've never seen that designation before. You mean a Fishman Loudbox Mini (Fishman LB?)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-08-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
What is a FM Mini? I've never seen that designation before. You mean a Fishman Loudbox Mini (Fishman LB?)
Sorry, but, yes, I meant to say Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 04-01-2019, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I owned a regular non portable Fishman Mini amp for a while several years ago.
Pretty decent sound but I found it heavy for my needs.
Currently ,I have agreat sounding and light AER compact 60, version 2.It's been my main amp for 7 years or so.

After reviewing this thread I ordered the Bose S1.Got about 20 per cent off the suggested retail price....

That extra 6 lbs on the Fishman is significant to me due to my physical limitations

Hope it will work out well..

Gabe
Old 04-01-2019, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
I owned a regular non portable Fishman Mini amp for a while several years ago.
Pretty decent sound but I found it heavy for my needs.
Currently ,I have agreat sounding and light AER compact 60, version 2.It's been my main amp for 7 years or so.

After reviewing this thread I ordered the Bose S1.Got about 20 per cent off the suggested retail price....

That extra 6 lbs on the Fishman is significant to me due to my physical limitations

Hope it will work out well..

Gabe
20% off on an S1?! Nice snag. Even with Bose's semi-annual discount of their L1 systems, I haven't seen anything off the S1... $599 has been the price.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
20% off on an S1?! Nice snag. Even with Bose's semi-annual discount of their L1 systems, I haven't seen anything off the S1... $599 has been the price.
He's an authorized Bose dealer and has 100 percent Ebay ratings on several thousand music related items.full warranty included....

Maybe the S1 sales are slowing up a bit....

Gabe

Last edited by guitargabor; 04-03-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

I have recently put the S1 through its paces....very good although I just tried it at home and not on a gig yet.

seems to tolerate the cheapo piece type pick ups very well!Easy to dial in.

Vocals via a Sennheiser 935 are excellent.

Overall,very impressed.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
I have recently put the S1 through its paces....very good although I just tried it at home and not on a gig yet.

seems to tolerate the cheapo piece type pick ups very well!Easy to dial in.

Vocals via a Sennheiser 935 are excellent.

Overall,very impressed.
And how does your guitar sound through the S1 compared to your Compact 60?
Old 04-13-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

As for 'ease of use' I think their are two ways to look even at this (white vs. blue)! The Bose gets its ease of use in that the controls are minimal so there is not much to do to get a decent tone (assuming you like the tone). Hi, Low, Reverb, ToneMatch, Volume, done. Only a few knobs. Conversely, the Mini has many more knobs and therefore many more possibilities for tweaking your tone. Less simple, but more powerful, you could say.

However, the Bose S1 knob positions on the back and all in black with black background makes it a PITA to see what you're doing. You literally have to spin the amp around AND have some ambient light available to see what you are doing! If it's dark, you're screwed. The good news is that (once again) the Bose knobs and options are so few that once you play with it a few times it's just a matter of reaching back and making a few minor adjustments. I no longer need to turn the amp around.

The Mini, conversely, is very easy to see what you're doing as the knobs are on the front and labeled/colored in such a contrasting way that it's way more easy to see what you're doing. There's just more to see and do.
I purchased both of these to see which would be most practical and I agree with your comments about the placement of the Bose controls. Control-wise the Bose S1 is not user friendly at all. The other big reason for me saying this is that the Bose inexpicably has no master volume control, thus not allowing me to leave the individual channels untouched when just wanting to turn it up or down for example.. IMHO this is a major oversight and nearly a deal breaker.

The one saving feature/advantage of the S1 is the non control related ergonmics of the Bose, which are very good given the the various positions obtainable, where the Fishman needs some help to work as a monitor or kickback. The Fishman does nestle easily back into a QuickLok guitar stand, but this adds another piece of gear to carry.

I sometimes use one or the other as a monitor when using my QSC K8.2 for FOH. I prefer the black color of the Bose in most live settings.

Neither is perfect and I am undecided as to which one I might flip.
1950s/60s Baritone Ukelele K&K
2020 Fender Limited Edition Jazzmaster Pure Vintage
'65 Pickups, & Series/Parallel 4-Way
Fender Supersonic 22" combo

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amps, bose, busking, fishman, loudbox