The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2015, 10:09 AM

Default HELP! Looking for a Gibsonish L00-type guitar

I recently saw Chris Stapleton perform on NPR and he was playing a vintage LG2 and it was the perfect, dry, woody tone I've been searching for. Turns out though that mid 50s LG2's cost an abysmal amount of money. So, that's a no-go.

I began my search looking a cheaper type guitar and came across the Recording King and The Loar guitar companies. To make a long story short, I've come down to the Loar Lo 16 or a Recording King RNJ16 that has caught my eye. I can't play either because I can't find any around where I live.

Anyone play these? I'm concerned that the Lo 16 will sound like a toy--boxy, dull, not very loud. And I can't find hardly any videos on the RNJ16, but from what I've heard the tone may be a little more of what I am after.

Also, I'm mainly interested in guitars with a nut width of 1 3/4in or larger.

Thanks for the advice and opinions!
Old 11-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I would recommend the Keb Mo Bluesmaster. Just received one in trade and it is really nice. Great tone, impeccable workmanship.
McPherson Touring
Loar LM-500 mandolin
Fender Performer Tele
Various Basses
Old 11-12-2015, 10:23 AM

You're a lucky man. However, I was hoping to stay under the $400 price range. Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-12-2015, 10:32 AM

The Epiphone EL-00 is what you are looking for... but one problem.

It has a 1 11/16th nut.

The Loar LO-16 has the 1 3/4"... they sound really sweet.

Last edited by ohYew812; 11-12-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

I really like the sound of that Gibson Chris plays too. Not sure it's a LG-2 though...could be a LG-1, but my guess is a B-25 based on the large pickguard. Hard to tell by looking...would need the FON/serial number to get closer to the actual model. Regardless, LG-1's & B-25's can often be purchased for considerably less than LG-2's; however, they are still well above your desired $400 price point. Not sure what's out there, but good luck!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 11-12-2015, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Default HELP! Looking for a Gibsonish L00-type guitar

I believe the RNJ16 has been discontinued so you might have to find one used. I don't think the LO-16 sounds like a toy at all but It does have a boxyish tone (all L-00's do IMO). You might check out the RNJ-17 or RNJ-26. Keep in mind that they, along with the RNJ-16 have a deeper body than a standard L-00 being modeled more after a Nick Lucas model.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
I believe the RNJ16 has been discontinued so you might have to find one used. I don't think the LO-16 sounds like a toy at all but It does have a boxyish tone (all L-00's do IMO). You might check out the RNJ-17 or RNJ-26. Keep in mind that they, along with the RNJ-16 have a deeper body than a standard L-00 being modeled more after a Nick Lucas model.
By the way, this is my first interaction with acoustic guitar forum and this is all very helpful. Thanks guys!

I am aware that the RNJ's have the deeper body. That actually attracted me in the first place because they probably have a little more bass and projection. Do you think that the RNJ17 rosewood sides have any difference tonally from the RNJ16 hog sides? They're laminate so I don't know if it's just aesthetic difference only. And I will definitely be attempting to buy used.

That is good to hear about the LO 16. It's so hard to tell from Youtube recordings
Old 11-12-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
I really like the sound of that Gibson Chris plays too. Not sure it's a LG-2 though...could be a LG-1, but my guess is a B-25 based on the large pickguard. Hard to tell by looking...would need the FON/serial number to get closer to the actual model. Regardless, LG-1's & B-25's can often be purchased for considerably less than LG-2's; however, they are still well above your desired $400 price point. Not sure what's out there, but good luck!
Interesting! I hadn't thought of that. Maybe one day!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1231 View Post
Interesting! I hadn't thought of that. Maybe one day!
Yeah, the other thing to consider is the body shape. Most of those being suggested are true L-00 shaped guitars, which have a larger lower bout and narrower waist...and a very different tone. I had a '43 LG-2 and a '32 L-00 at one time, and they were pretty far apart tonally. Other than Gibson's LG-2 American Eagle, I don't know another builder who is re-producing the LG-2 body shape (which is kind of a mini slope shoulder). Not sure why, but I think they're missing the boat, as the LG-2 shape provides a really nice unique tone in a very comfortably sized package.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 11-12-2015, 11:38 AM

Oddly enough I was impressed a couple years back by an L-00 shaped guitar made by Johnson. Unfortunately I can't find it on their website so it is probably discontinued. Rats.

On the low price end, consider Dirty Thirties. These are also by Recording King btw.

And on the other end (like $2K) is the Waterloo brand (by Collings)

Last edited by semolinapilcher; 11-12-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:37 PM

This one my fit the bill
Morgan Monroe
M-OO-TBV Blues 32
Old 11-12-2015, 12:55 PM

A Greven LOOV will take you back to 1934, enough said!

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 11-12-2015, 01:12 PM

You will not go wrong with the Loar LO-16 BK. I owned one and they are loud, sound fantastic, nothing dull about them AT ALL! Except for the shape of the headstock they are dead on the shape of a 1938 L-00. I sold mine because I have a 1947 LG-2. There is one on EBay right now for $275.00 with free shipping. That is a little bit of money for a lot of guitar. I had a Baggs M1A in the sound hole it it was really nice. That is my advice.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:52 PM

Another recommendation for the Loar LO–16. Had mine for almost 3 years now. I love this guitar. Sounds great. Fun to play.
A friend of mine was visiting a couple of weeks ago. He's a professional musician. My LO–16 was sitting out when he got here. He picked it up, started playing a bit then stopped and said "Wow! What is this?"
My wife loves it too. I have the black model. She thinks it's cool. At first site I thought the black with a white pick guard looked like a Holstein cow. But the black grew on me. Now I can hardly imagine it sounding the same with a natural finish.
Of course YMMV.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Loar lo-16 bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
You will not go wrong with the Loar LO-16 BK. I owned one and they are loud, sound fantastic, nothing dull about them AT ALL! Except for the shape of the headstock they are dead on the shape of a 1938 L-00. I sold mine because I have a 1947 LG-2. There is one on EBay right now for $275.00 with free shipping. That is a little bit of money for a lot of guitar. I had a Baggs M1A in the sound hole it it was really nice. That is my advice.
I love mine.Good enough for Justin Townes Earle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
lo 16, parlor guitar, recording king, rnj 16, the loar