The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-21-2014, 12:29 AM

Default Martin DM Pickup Decisions...

Hey guys,

I have a martin dm and I am going to be doing a handful of coffee shop style small gigs here soon. I need to choose a pickup to install in my martin...

I am only willing to really install an endpin jack in my guitar... so beyond that I do not want to alter my guitar if possible.

The Martin DM is a satin finish, so I am worried it will pick up too many noises from the LR Baggs Lyric...

Also, $200 is about as absolutely high as I can go. I would like a natural sound, but really, I just need a good quality sound even if it isn't the most natural...

Do you guys please have any recomendations? Thanks in advance guys!
Old 09-21-2014, 06:19 AM

Can't beat a K&K Pure Mini. It's way under budget too.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 09-21-2014, 09:50 AM

Check out the JJB Prestige 330 ... like the K&K, but half the price. I put one in my buddy's Martin DM (15mm size, same as the K&K Pure mini), and it sounds great.

http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-330.html
Old 09-21-2014, 09:57 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses!

My only fear with the K&K and the jjb is, do I need/have to have an external preamp to make it sound good?

the guitar will either go into a Roland AC 60 or straight to a small PA.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypandemonium View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the responses!

My only fear with the K&K and the jjb is, do I need/have to have an external preamp to make it sound good?

the guitar will either go into a Roland AC 60 or straight to a small PA.
You will need a preamp or DI for the PA sys, but not for the AC 60.

I have a JJB 330 in my DM, love the sound!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:52 PM

I'd get the Lyric. And if you are truly playing quietly, a external mic shouldn't be problematic, either.

The Lyric or an external mic will sound more natural than a piezo, unless you prefer the extra warmth and decreased airiness of the piezo sound.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:31 PM

@chitz, thank you for the info there!

@Jomaynor, With a satin finish guitar, I have heard ppl say that the lyric picks up too many random sounds such as the guitar scraping your tshirt or your arm sliding across the guitar and stuff. Do you have any experience with this?
Old 09-22-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypandemonium View Post
@chitz, thank you for the info there!

@Jomaynor, With a satin finish guitar, I have heard ppl say that the lyric picks up too many random sounds such as the guitar scraping your tshirt or your arm sliding across the guitar and stuff. Do you have any experience with this?
A soundboard transducer - like the K&K etc. - will do this also.
that's me on guitar
Old 09-22-2014, 11:06 PM

I think the satin vs gloss concern is a non-issue, as far making a greatly appreciable difference in distracting squeaks and chuffs. Perhaps if one were really using an awful lot of gain, maybe, but for a low to medium volume setup, doubtful.

I've not noticed the Lyric making hyped-up noises on a bandmate's satin finish custom guitar before, and this particular guitar's top is almost all soundboard, too, having just a small soundhole in the upper bout.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:36 PM

Default Martin DM Pickup Decisions...

I'd go with the K&K for sure. Whether into your AC60 or a PA, you should be able to clear any mud by cutting the MIDs around 500-800Hz until it sounds nice. Also, cut the bass to taste.

If your PA does not have any EQ, just go into your AC60, then out to your PA and handle the EQ on your amp.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 PM

Hey Guys,

You all have been fantastic in responding to me! I appreciate it greatly!

I think for now I am going to try the JJB or K&K and see how that goes. If its not enough, I will try the Lyric...

As soon as I get it in my guitar, I will let you guys know what I find.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:29 PM

I put the Anthem in my D15M and it's real easy to dial in live - no issues with body noise that I have encountered. I plug it straight into a Roland AC90 or a Line6 L2T.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 PM

Default Any experience with LR Baggs IBeam?

Hey guys,

So, I talked to my Tech (who is very good imo), and he said that he is weary of the K&k style pickup because it is permanent... I kind of agree... isn't the superglue gonna stay stuck on the guitar even "if" you can get the transducers off with a razor???

Also, he recommended the Ibeam... some videos make it sound great... on others in has a serious harshness that sounds similar to piezo quack... Does anyone have experience with these? Can you avoid the quack? Is it natural sounding?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:29 PM

I have the Lyric in my D-35 as most here should know by now. My view of it is it's an excellent pickup but should be run thru a Para DI to get the top quality sound you want. I'm running mine into an Acoustic A20 amp and have the eq set at the halfway point and it sounds great, no Para DI needed for my home rig. If I was playing out I'd get the Para DI. So what I'm saying is the Lyric sounds great but sounds even better with a little eq.

The Lyric also comes with a volume control mounted on the side of the soundhole which is easy to use, but still stays hidden from view. As with any active pickup, you have a 9 volt battery which needs to be replaced every so often.

I like the Lyric for practicing my guitar because it sounds great, and for direct in recording into my computer. Recording like this eliminates the problem of room noise in your recording. Recording the guitar with a mic and the Lyric is the best bet. Here's a quick sound clip, for you to hear the Lyric and a mic blended together....

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1
Old 10-01-2014, 09:37 PM

I guess the question then becomes: what's the consequence of having a little glue residue on the bridge plate?

I have no experience with the I-Beam. The common comments seem to be that it sounds really nice but is very feedback prone. I still see it come up as the pickup of choice by some touring artists. See if your tech has some guitars with different pickups in them and check them out. There is something about a flesh and blood recommendation that lots of online posts can't really match. See if the tech can line you up with satisfied customers who might let you check out their rigs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
lr baggs, lyric, martin dm, pickup