The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:41 AM

Default string change - - immediately on delivery

Soon's I had the guitar in-hand it dragged it over to my local friendly luthier to adjust nut and saddle depth, tweak the truss rod and change strings. I think the out-of-the-box setup was conservatively done (high) to be sure the new owner wasn't going to get buzzing as soon as he tried to play it. And I wasn't about to go messing around on a shiny new guitar all by myself.

New strings are Martin Lifespan SP, #6050, custom light, .011, 80/20 bronze. Suit me just fine. I hardly used the original-issue strings. I had .011's on my dreadnought, and I wanted to see how similar strings behaved on the Mini with its short scale. Very nicely, for me anyway.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post
What type and gauge strings is everyone using on your minis?
Martin PB mediums 13-56. Makes my Mini sound quite "Dreadful" !
Old 03-25-2014, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

FINALLY! I can kiss my AGF purchase virginity goodbye. These 4 days seemed to last forever. I present to you my Fall '13 Taylor GS Mini-e QS LTD:

I can post a few other pics later, this is just what I snapped at work right when it arrived. Can't wait to get home and dig into this thing. I was unaware that these were made with what's called a "braceless arched back" and I almost went into panic mode when I saw the large hump. What can I say, living in the northeast makes you sensitive to humidity/temperature fears. Now....what to mod first.....

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 AM

Congrats on the new Mini QS! I don't post often, mostly because I don't have anything of real importance to add to most conversations lol. I bought a Mini-E Rosewood five weeks ago and I have been really enjoying it. The only changes I made were Martin ebony pins and med Nano PB's. Great guitar, great value.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodtube12 View Post
Congrats on the new Mini QS! I don't post often, mostly because I don't have anything of real importance to add to most conversations lol. I bought a Mini-E Rosewood five weeks ago and I have been really enjoying it. The only changes I made were Martin ebony pins and med Nano PB's. Great guitar, great value.
Glad you posted! You should stick around.

I'd like to swap out the pins right away and possibly the tuners. I've heard great things about the mini GOTOH tuners, so I may go that route.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 AM

Gotoh makes fine tuners. I'm going to leave the stock tuners installed for now, I don't think they're terrible. Plus, the Mini is a tad neck heavy as is, I'm afraid new tuners could possibly exaggerate that.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

My mahogany Mini was delivered this morning. Once it acclimates for a while, I'm going to see if the standard Taylor ebony bridge pins fit as replacements. I'm also going to try replacing the stock Mini tuners with a set that came off my K14 (replaced with Gotohs). I'll post the results here.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I upgraded to a Colosi bone saddle, Gotoh Mini tuners (gold) and Colosi bone bridge pins. The guitar sounded great from the factory, my upgrades were done for fun but the new tuners do seem tighter. I cannot tell if the bone saddle made any noticeable difference.

Great guitar, it's my travel and kitchen guitar.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcameron View Post
My mahogany Mini was delivered this morning. Once it acclimates for a while, I'm going to see if the standard Taylor ebony bridge pins fit as replacements. I'm also going to try replacing the stock Mini tuners with a set that came off my K14 (replaced with Gotohs). I'll post the results here.
The stock tuners that came off of my K14 fit perfectly on the Mini, just dropped right in. The bridge pins (buffalo horn) that I had been using on one of the other Taylors were perfect replacements for the plastic ones that came with the Mini. And I am amazed at the sound that comes out of this little mahogany body! More sustain than I would have ever guessed!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Just bought a set of ebony bridge pins with pearl inlay and a set of medium Elixir PB nanos. Pretty sure there are lights on my Mini right now and I don't love them. Went with the Martin pins as per the recommendation of some folks in this thread. Will post again once they're installed!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Just bought a set of ebony bridge pins with pearl inlay and a set of medium Elixir PB nanos. Pretty sure there are lights on my Mini right now and I don't love them. Went with the Martin pins as per the recommendation of some folks in this thread. Will post again once they're installed!

They look nice. You could start a silly thread on possible uses for an orphan end pin now. . .
Or offer it as a karmic give-away. (Prolly won't get much karma back on that, but every little helps!)

Old 03-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

You know, I had the same thought about giving it away. Surely SOMEONE needs one.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 03-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Yep that Martin suggestion was based on my recent GS Mini upgrade project. Gave away my endpin too.

As for the strings: Taylor recommends 13's and I usually run 11's or 12's since I like very light strings and have a light touch.

The GS Mini, however needs the heavier gauge strings to really get its top moving. You might find that its a bit unresponsive with lighter strings. Remember the structure of that small soundboard will be stiffer and will take more string energy to get it vibrating.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 03-28-2014, 04:36 PM

Default Ebony / black pickguard for GS mini

Hi gang ! pretty sure I could order one from Nichols Inlays... any other thoughts or tips to acquire a nice black/ebony guard for the GS Mini ? started to take off the tortoise guard, and noticed the dreaded pickguard suntan !... put that thing back on in a hurray !

Any tips appreciated.
1997 Takamine EF341C
1984 Larrivee RS4 solid body Electric
1935 Harmony Archtop
Old 03-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Yep that Martin suggestion was based on my recent GS Mini upgrade project. Gave away my endpin too.

As for the strings: Taylor recommends 13's and I usually run 11's or 12's since I like very light strings and have a light touch.

The GS Mini, however needs the heavier gauge strings to really get its top moving. You might find that its a bit unresponsive with lighter strings. Remember the structure of that small soundboard will be stiffer and will take more string energy to get it vibrating.
It totally feels unresponsive with the lights. Still sounds great tone wise, though, which is making me excited to hear it when I swap out the lights for the mediums.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
customizations, gs mini, mini, mods, upgrades