The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-19-2020, 07:37 AM

Default Wingert Model E - Brazilian RW / German spruce, giant neck

Kathy Wingert built this beautiful Model E (silky German spruce over a fabulous set of Brazilian rosewood) for friend of mine, Callum, around 11 years ago.

Callum was a wonderful person – and musician. He was a critical thinker, and extended that approach to his assessment of guitars – he was notoriously hard to please in that regard! This, instrument, however, he was besotted with. It truly was his dream guitar. And the story of how it ended up in his gigantic hands* fills me with wonderful feelings about Kathy.

Callum had heard, from across a room, a guitar being played. Without knowing what it was, he said “That’s it! That’s the sound I’ve been looking for my whole life”. That particular Wingert didn’t work for him on account of it having a "normal" neck. (*At maybe 6’3”, Callum appeared to weigh about 7 stones; we joked that about 90% of his body weight was in those huge hands!). Word got back to Kathy, who was flattered and keen to make his dream come true. Perhaps fearing he may not have all that long to enjoy a guitar she might build him, she bumped Callum to the front of what was otherwise a waiting list of several years. Kathy built him an instrument identical to the one he had fallen for the sound of – right down to a sister set of Braz (I seem to remember a story of it being from 1812 or something!) - the only difference being the monstrous 51.5mm odd nut width, and 62.5mm string spacing at the bridge (classical proportions and beyond!). She flew over to the UK, and hand delivered it to Callum at an RMMGA gathering.

As well having the pleasure of hearing it in Callum’s hands, and playing it myself, on numerous occasions, I also have fond memories of the hearing the dulcet, rich, dark chocolately tones of this instrument when the masterful Clive Carroll put it through its paces at few years back at one of the RMMGA UK gatherings (2009 I think): having played a 2+ hour gig, Clive retired to the kitchen where he played for another 6 or so hours straight until sunrise!

Sadly, Callum passed away a few years ago. I dared not asked what had happened to his guitar, though I must confess to wondering about it a fair bit, as I was similarly infatuated with it! Having spied a Wingert or two at Ian's annual guitar gathering in 2018, I was chatting to their owner, Chris Stern, and told him the story of Callum’s guitar. It turned out Chris knew its whereabouts, as he now owned it! What's more, he was happy to reunite me with it.

A month or so later, when Chris was in London, he kindly brought the guitar with him and stopped over for dinner.

Meeting that guitar again – replete with the faint whiff of Callum’s roll-ups – brought tears to my eyes. And a song popped out that very evening, which I’ve dedicated to Callum’s memory. (I might have live video of an early version of it somewhere – I’ll have a look – but I really must record it properly!).

Happily, Chris was willing to let the reunion continue … on a permanent basis! He left the guitar with me to chew over whether I wanted to buy it. To be honest, there wasn't a question in my mind about that; merely the need for authorisation from credit control!

I’m massively grateful to Chris for his being willing (somewhat reluctantly) to part with it (and my wife, as always, for sanctioning the purchase!).

It’s a beautiful looking, playing and sounding instrument, full of memories and soul. It's hugely sentimental for me. And I love the wonderfully round, phat trebles, and huge neck (which became the template for my Sands Model L baritone’s neck).

Here’s a sample of it in action (not yet properly edited, mixed or mastered, but it’ll give you the flavour of the tone), on a tune I wrote 15 years ago called Yumi (tuned CGCGCD - which the guitar seems to love): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KfH...ew?usp=sharing Enjoy!
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 12-21-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:05 AM

THAT was a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing with us. This made my day.

And the sound clip is marvelous!
Old 06-19-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
THAT was a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing with us. This made my day.

And the sound clip is marvelous!
Great to hear that! You're most welcome! Can't say how delighted I am to be this wonderful instrument's custodian - but it made more than my day!

Glad you enjoyed the sound clip. Once polished, I'm planning to put that tune on my forthcoming album (which has been an embarrassingly long time coming... But it's getting there, slowly...!)
Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 06-19-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobo View Post
Great to hear that! You're most welcome! Can't say how delighted I am to be this wonderful instrument's custodian - but it made more than my day!

Glad you enjoyed the sound clip. Once polished, I'm planning to put that tune on my forthcoming album (which has been an embarrassingly long time coming... But it's getting there, slowly...!)
Dan, I was just perusing your website hoping you would have an album coming out! Can't wait to hear it!
Old 06-20-2020, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Dan. Anyone who has a Wingert E is very fortunate – great guitars from a really nice person.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:11 AM

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story
Old 06-20-2020, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Great story and just a wonderful sound clip. The tone of that guitar is delicious in the most literal sense.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-20-2020, 07:14 AM

Thank you!!! For sharing the wonderful story of this great instrument and the sound clip. What a gorgeous sound this special Wingert E makes. And your great playing brings that sound alive. In my mind and heart, this is the epitome of what great acoustic guitar music sounds like!

Congratulations!

beth
Old 06-20-2020, 07:39 AM

Fantastic story and wonderful sound clip. The dynamics of your playing in that clip were tremendous of course aided by the sustain and beautiful tone of that fantastic guitar!

Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:48 AM

Now that's a bog, bold, sonorous guitar!

Your fortunate to have had the relationship, the story, and now the guitar.

Enjoy that masterpiece!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-20-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Great story, really enjoyed it.

Keith
Old 06-21-2020, 11:35 AM

I finally headphones. What a luscious sound.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Smile How SWEET

What a lovely story, and what a BEAUTIFUL RECORDING!

Stunning SOUND. Please tell us the recording technology!

Thanks for sharing, and have FUN with this monster axe.

This kind of thing is why I love having custom builds. I figure these instruments will be thrilling folks LONG after I am gone...

But I do hope to be around a lot longer to enjoy them myself!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-22-2020, 01:20 PM

Man you and Chris are bad for each other - like sending two guys on the wagon to the pub!

I think it's possible I've played this guitar and recall it sounding fabulous.
And if there was any doubt about that, you only have to listen to your great recording. Seriously impressive.

And that Braz looks so quartered!

You're building quite a collection of instruments there...which would you grab if the house is on fire and your wife/child are in the other hand?!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-22-2020, 03:52 PM

As if being fortunate enough to have a fabulous guitar from a lovely builder wasn’t enough (ok, actually quite a few of those!), I'm now quite overwhelmed by all your lovely words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
What a gorgeous sound this special Wingert E makes. And your great playing brings that sound alive. In my mind and heart, this is the epitome of what great acoustic guitar music sounds like!
beth
Beth – That's the kind of review I'm honoured to receive! I’m so glad the music’s spoken to you in this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
What a lovely story, and what a BEAUTIFUL RECORDING!

Stunning SOUND. Please tell us the recording technology!
Hi Paul! Thanks for your interest.

Recording wise, it’s a very dry (heavily acoustically treated) room. It’ll be a spaced pair – though I’ll need to check what mics (and so what preamps) ended up in the mix – and a CAD VX2 dual tube mic in the centre, into a DAV preamp. I also record the pickup signals (via a Pendulum SPS1) and a bunch of other mics (er, 12 - it’s a veritable mic forest (!), though usually only 3 or 4 end up in the mix) into various preamps. They all go into an RME UCX, then into Reaper. It’s just a quick mix job of three mics, and maybe one or both of the pickups, since I’ll wait until I’ve finished recording the album before delving properly into mixing and mastering. So the channels are flat (no eq), with a reverb, and then some fairy dust in Ozone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Man you and Chris are bad for each other - like sending two guys on the wagon to the pub!

I think it's possible I've played this guitar and recall it sounding fabulous.
And if there was any doubt about that, you only have to listen to your great recording. Seriously impressive.

And that Braz looks so quartered!

You're building quite a collection of instruments there...which would you grab if the house is on fire and your wife/child are in the other hand?!

Cheers,
Steve
Hey Steve – hope you’re well! Long overdue a catchup!

Yes, great piece of Braz!

I can’t believe you’re making me choose! But yes, this is the one that’d be coming with me and the fam. It’s the most sentimentally significant guitar, but also the one that speaks the most to me (for me?) musically. A really thick, rich, lush, warm and soft sound. Love it! The Wingert and the Sands (which it inspired in many ways) have been getting 80-90% of the action for the past year or so (in as much there’s been any …!). With another Sands on the horizon, I fear they’ll need to be some more thinning, but it’s going to be hard to let go of most of what’s left – especially the Kostals.

Best,

Dan
Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 06-23-2020 at 08:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
brazilian, model e, wide neck, wingert