The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-19-2020, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Help me decide the best pickup for GS Mini

Hi! So quick back story; I Just bought a GS mini brand new sealed in the box for $350 from someone who got it from the buy a Taylor get a Taylor promo.

The guitar I got does not include a pickup system but I was considering installing one in the future. The GS mini-e mahogany retails for about $649 with the ES-B system I believe.
I know that I do not want a sound hole pickup as I dont like the way those look. I also would prefer to have all necessary electronics built into the guitar such as a preamp.

With all that being said, I was considering a K&K ultra pure mini pickup:

If i were to get this pickup it would cost a total of $525 including the price of the guitar, that is if I install it myself. This is still $124 less than buying the GS mini-e new.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions other than this pickup, or if this is one of the best options. I also would like to know if anyone knows how this compares to the Taylor ES-B system that comes in the GS Mini-e from the factory and if it would be worth doing considering the savings over buying a mini that comes with the electronics from the factory.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:59 PM

Your GS Mini should already have the quick clip installed at the front of the soundhole. It's supposed to be quite easy to retro-fit a ES-2 pickup in the GS Mini, if you want the factory option.

I installed a standard K&K Pure Mini transducer in my GS Mini, but I wanted no on-board electronics or battery in the guitar. It worked well, and I played a couple of high volume gigs with it by adding A Planet Waves sound hole cover.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Your GS Mini should already have the quick clip installed at the front of the soundhole. It's supposed to be quite easy to retro-fit a ES-2 pickup in the GS Mini, if you want the factory option.

I installed a standard K&K Pure Mini transducer in my GS Mini, but I wanted no on-board electronics or battery in the guitar. It worked well, and I played a couple of high volume gigs with it by adding A Planet Waves sound hole cover.
Interesting, I didn’t know that. The ES-2 has controls that are drilled into the body from what I though which I would have to drill then correct? I know the clip makes it easy to install the es-go but that has some bad reviews and is a sound hole pickup, which is not what I want.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:

The quick clip is for the ES go which is a soundhole Pickup.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 05-19-2020, 11:46 PM

Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend.
Fantastic pickup.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 05-20-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
The quick clip is for the ES go which is a soundhole Pickup.
Yes. Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't thinking about the ES-2, as it pretty much doubles the cost of the instrument. I'm not a fan of the sound hole magnetic pickups, so went with the K&K Pure Mini for my hog GS Mini.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laynej37 View Post
Interesting, I didn’t know that. The ES-2 has controls that are drilled into the body from what I though which I would have to drill then correct? I know the clip makes it easy to install the es-go but that has some bad reviews and is a sound hole pickup, which is not what I want.
I was thinking of the ES Go pickup, sorry for the incorrect reply. The ES-2 is a much more pricey option on a new factory guitar.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was thinking of the ES Go pickup, sorry for the incorrect reply. The ES-2 is a much more pricey option on a new factory guitar.
No problem! Yeah I was never considering that as an option. I thought about the es-go but I decided I don’t want any sound hole pickups.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend.
Fantastic pickup.
Thanks for the suggestion! It looks like a great pickup but I think it’s a little bit expensive for me as for the price I could have bought the gs mini-e with the electronics already installed.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laynej37 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! It looks like a great pickup but I think it’s a little bit expensive for me as for the price I could have bought the gs mini-e with the electronics already installed.
Understandable, I didn't want to put a cheap pickup in my custom built, so went for the best I could afford at the time.
Still surprised how well it sounds when plugged in.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 05-20-2020, 11:13 PM

I'm very happy with the simple passive K&K Mini in my GS Mini.

Louis
Old 05-30-2020, 01:37 AM

I don’t think the K&K Ultra Pure will fit in the GS Mini - the top bracing is too close to the sound hole. I have a GS Mini and put in a K&K Pure & Pre-phase mini. I have an Ultra Pure in my Taylor 214 and Waterloo WL12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
gs mini, gs mini mahogany, k&k pure mini