The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Default ToneDexter with External Battery PowerSupply query…

Hi all

My ToneDexter operates just fine with the included power supply. I work on a stage for worship where often I'm 15 feet from electricity (and at the front of the stage). No way I want to drag a honking extension cord across a walking path. Simplest solution would be to use an external battery power supply.

I am wondering if anyone has tried the Joyo JP-05 POWER SUPPLY 5 (specs from their site below). It indicates with high current digital pedals it will last for 2 hours (which I assume would describe the ToneDexter).

Quote:
Features:
1. With a built-in 7.4V/4400mAh rechargeable lithium battery pack, charging time is about 2.5hrs.
2. 4 DC 9V 100mA outputs.
3. 3 DC 9V 500mA outputs.
4. 1 DC 9V/12V/18V adjustable output, maximum output current is 100mA.

Just trying to avoid being the first experimenter in the bunch.

James May has previously spoken of the external battery powered 'minimums' here on the forum, and indicates 9V 500mA could work. I'm wondering if anyone HAS (or Has NOT) made this particular battery fed power supply work.

Thanks in advance for responses.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-09-2019, 11:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

If one of the 9V 500mA outputs doesn't quite cut it, you could parallel two of them together since it appears that the outputs are isolated. If it were me, I'd first confirm that they are indeed isolated outputs and if so, give it a try.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 12-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Here's another option. Stick with the TD wall wart. And get a wireless guitar cord, like a Muslady, or other brand.

https://www.amazon.com/Muslady-Trans.../dp/B07H2JXQG3

You can roam up to 50', they say, from the receiver. I've never tried that, by 15' or more is easily done.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Here's another option. Stick with the TD wall wart. And get a wireless guitar cord, like a Muslady, or other brand.

https://www.amazon.com/Muslady-Trans.../dp/B07H2JXQG3

You can roam up to 50', they say, from the receiver. I've never tried that, by 15' or more is easily done.
Hi Marshall

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to re-think this since the ToneDexter is a stomp box with a boost pedal. Not sure yet if the boost needs to be brought into play when I'm playing live.

If not, then certainly this could be a workable solution as well.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
If one of the 9V 500mA outputs doesn't quite cut it, you could parallel two of them together since it appears that the outputs are isolated. If it were me, I'd first confirm that they are indeed isolated outputs and if so, give it a try.
Hi James…and thanks for the response.

What would be 'symptoms' of the unit does not-quite-cutting-it?

Just being sure that falling short doesn't damage the unit. I have seen statements that the outputs are isolated, but I'm going to confirm that before ordering one. Here is a link to an advertisement on a Guitar Site that seems to confirm it - though the Joyo site doesn't mention it.

Joyo Power Supply - Specs - CliCk

What do you think of Marshall's suggestion of using a wireless transmitter? My concern was wondering would combining the delay of each unit be noticeable?

Thanks again…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Last edited by ljguitar; 12-09-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi James…and thanks for the response.

What would be 'symptoms' of the unit does not-quite-cutting-it?

Just being sure that falling short doesn't damage the unit. I have seen statements that the outputs are isolated, but I'm going to confirm that before ordering one. Here is a link to an advertisement on a Guitar Site that seems to confirm it - though the Joyo site doesn't mention it.

Joyo Power Supply - Specs - CliCk

What do you think of Marshall's suggestion of using a wireless transmitter? My concern was wondering would combining the delay of each unit be noticeable?

Thanks again…

You're welcome Larry. Symptoms of not quite cutting it could be: some display but no sound, or distorted sound, or plays back okay but doesn't train (as that takes more juice). No need to worry about damaging your Dexter. I designed it to take a licking and keep on ticking...

Wireless is always an option, but only you can decide if that works for your playing needs. I don't have any knowledge of the wireless unit that was suggested.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 12-09-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
You're welcome Larry. Symptoms of not quite cutting it could be: some display but no sound, or distorted sound, or plays back okay but doesn't train (as that takes more juice). No need to worry about damaging your Dexter. I designed it to take a licking and keep on ticking...

Wireless is always an option, but only you can decide if that works for your playing needs. I don't have any knowledge of the wireless unit that was suggested.

Thank you James…

I've got enough info to start exploring. I'll explore the battery operated power supply. Wireless may be in the future, but not a $35 model. And then I'd use it for both acoustics and electrics.

I'll report back on what I find about the Joyo.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-09-2019, 02:28 PM

I use a Sanyo Pedal Juice pedal power rechargeable battery which accommodates 12V and has sufficient amperage. It has worked fine with my TD.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I use a Sanyo Pedal Juice pedal power rechargeable battery which accommodates 12V and has sufficient amperage. It has worked fine with my TD.
Hi dc

Thanks for another option…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-09-2019, 05:12 PM

The new Pedaltrain Volto 3 is rated at 2000mA max draw with 6200mAh capacity. That should give you at least a couple of hours use, possibly quite a bit more than that depending on your total load.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:34 AM

In places other than your church, your wall wart may buzz if the DI feed from your ToneDexter is connected to gear on a different AC circuit in the building, which is a likely occurrence. A battery power supply means no buzz, or at least not that kind of buzz. Maybe something to consider.

Couch Standards
Old 12-10-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
In places other than your church, your wall wart may buzz if the DI feed from your ToneDexter is connected to gear on a different AC circuit in the building, which is a likely occurrence. A battery power supply means no buzz, or at least not that kind of buzz. Maybe something to consider.
Hi Brent…

Yeah - we spent 20 minutes tracking down a clean AC circuit at a gig earlier this year (60 cycle hum).

I'm mostly concerned with having the pedal in front of me wherever on stage I'm located without extra AC cords coming into play.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-10-2019, 07:19 PM

I've been using this for nearly two years:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't had a problem. James May commented that based on specs it should power the ToneDexter for about six hours.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 12-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I've been using this for nearly two years:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't had a problem. James May commented that based on specs it should power the ToneDexter for about six hours.
Hi Patrick

Thanks for adding this one to the list.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
battery power supply, external battery, joyo jp-05, tonedexter