The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Default 2005 Collings CW BaaaA

For sale is my 2005 Collings CW with "AAA" grade Brazilian with gorgeous Adirondack spruce top for $5800. The brazilian on this guitar is as nice as any I've seen and has that actual "rose" smell. It wafts over you when you open the case if you leave it in the case for a week. Happy to ship anywhere in the US insured and with UPS ground is no more than $100.

Sorry, no trades. I need the cabbage!

Feel free to ask questions and message me if you are interested. Below you will find lots of pictures and info on the guitar.

History of the Guitar:
I purchased this guitar from Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh PA who was selling it for a collector and national flat pick champion out of the Texas. In fact, they still have a video they made of this actual guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cvg9IbUidg

Condition of the Guitar:
It is in fantastic condition less a small repaired crack. No neck issues, resets, refrets, etc. needed. There is some slight fret wear but is still fine for years to come.

Why the Repair?
Unfortunately for me, a few years ago my strap slipped causing the guitar to hit a glass table top I was next to, which created a small crack on the side. I think I died right there!

I contacted Collings and they had me to send it to Pat Diburro in New Hampshire. Pat is a master repair luthier for Collings as well as Martin and Taylor gutiars. He specializes in just repairing fine guitars, which I understand to be a different skill from making actually. You can read more about Pat in the latest Fretboard Journal magazine
https://www.fretboardjournal.com/fea...-whats-inside/

Pat's website: http://www.diburro.com/

Pat said the crack wasn't bad at all and fixed it without any cleats, etc. and the area is now stronger. He also refinished this area of the guitar so it is almost impossible to see except for a spec of slight discoloration in the finish. However, you wouldn't notice it unless I pointed it out. I've asked other guitarists and a shop owner to play "find the repair" and no one has done it.

Check out the pictures and I've put arrows pointing to the only evidence that can be seen of the repair. You can't even tell looking inside the guitar. Sun light shows it best while in other light you can't even see it.

So this guitar is in truly excellent condition except for the repair and some minor fret wear (nothing that matters). The guitar is solid as there was no other damage or negative effect to the sound. Actually, it sounds better today then at any other time.

What's included?
- An official signed Appraisal of the guitar at $11K for insurance or anything else
- I have a Mammoth ivory saddle on it but I will include the original bone saddle
- A set of Mammoth ivory bridge pins, but honestly, the original ebony pins sound the same on this guitar
- Original Collings hardshell case

This guitar is kept in it's case when not used with humidi packs and a hygrometer/thermometer. No neck issues or resets, etc needed. It's ready to play for many years to go.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by buchanp2001; 05-06-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:33 PM

Default 2005 Collings CW BaaaA

PM Sent regarding this fine instrument!
Old 05-07-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Default SOLD

The guitar has been sold.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
adirondack, adirondack braces, brazilian, clarence white, collings