The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 01-30-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Default 1964 Martin D-28 (Sold Off-Forum/Pending)

Old North Street Factory hide glue constructed D-28 with beautiful, classically rich straight-grained Brazilian. Stamped April 7 and cleared for final inspection on May 25, 1964. Original small maple bridge plate and original 55 year-old finish to top, sides, back, and headstock. Two tiny cracks in Brazilian (one back, one upper bout/side). Some minor cupping of the original pick guard toward the bridge -- does not effect play. Never been drilled for a strap button. Non-original guards and strap buttons are a personal peeve of mine and a deal-breaker for some, so...I mention both here.

The info provided throughout is a bit of an amalgamation of luthier input (e.g. Bryan Kimsey, Tucker Barrett of VT, and Jimmy Millenchuck of NH).

I commissioned Bryan Kimsey to do a bit of work (listed below), and although I was tempted to have him do some scalloping as well (mere curiosity on my part), we held off and are both happy we did! After the full set up, we both agree it’s a great sounding rosewood dread with that characteristically punchy non-scalloped sound. Guitar intonates perfectly, no buzzing, great boom and balance, and needs absolutely nothing.

Bryan’s warrantied work:
· Neck reset
· Complete re-fret with compression wire
· Action at the 12th fret .085”
· Antique Acoustic replacement cream with red dot pins/end pin (original was drilled out for internal mic which Bryan fitted with AA and removed mic)
· Bridge slotting, dust/glue/reseam
· Replaced bone saddle
· Glued loose back brace with hide glue. Pushed hide glue into seam separation, slight bellying has been reduced to what we consider negligible, etc.

When I purchased it nearly two years ago, there was some real munge/gunk going on with the back of the neck. Bryan worked it with Naptha, scoured the back of the neck; thin coat of French polish shellac to protect the wood. All debris has been removed, but see photographs for discoloration. Feels great in the hand; aesthetic is the only concern, but who looks back there?

Original green-lined hard case in good working order (latches, closure), but has some tape reinforcement around edges where black tolex wore with age, use, etc. I’m in Santa Fe, NM and selling for $5,500 net to me. PM works or text five zero five eight seven six seven 1 nine 1.

Additional photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm8zRAQx

Last edited by sonic romp; 02-27-2019 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Sold/pending
Old 01-30-2019, 01:11 PM

Nice looking Guitar. Good luck with your sale.

Martin's
00-28G 43 and 55
00-28C 68
00-28C 67 (Conversion to steel)
000-28A (Conv. 1935 C-2)
C-2 1935
HJ-38 SG
OMC-18 LJ
OMC-28 LJ
OMC-28M LJ
OMC-44K LJ
CS OM-13

Jose Aranda
Henner Hagenlocher.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

These are such wonderful guitars, and Bryan does amazing work.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Bryan

Much appreciated guys, and thanks for pointing out Bryan's prowess. He's worked with me on a couple vintage guitars over the years (including pre-War 0- and 00-sized Martins, Gibsons, and a magnificent Epiphone Texan I sold on here about two years ago--anything I throw at him, basically), but these full-bodied Martin dreads are just his passion, plain and simple. This guitar is sleek, powerful, and articulate, but it really only came through after all of the work he put in, truly. He's just down right diligent and this is a tight and responsive guitar in every aspect.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Default 5800

Finding one at this price with the sound-favorable small maple bridge plate, hide glue prior to 1965+ construction changes, original finish, pristine set-up, would be an...accomplishment.

Last edited by sonic romp; 02-05-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Default On Hold

On hold for the SF player.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Default It's back on!

Missed out on the sale waiting for cold temps/flying snow to pass. Available again and ready to ship.

Last edited by sonic romp; 02-24-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Still here?!

Freshly strung up with Martin SP 80/20s mediums and just booms! Very clean player with low comfortable action — absolutely no chore playing with the heavier gauges.

No matter if you’re recording solo and looking for articulate and balanced Brazilian overtones or looking to stand out against other stringed instruments — this one’ll be heard. Looking for a new home before having it represented.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:00 AM

In one of the pictures, it looks like the pick guard shrunk into the sound hole (uneven flatness). I could be wrong as the picture is slanted and the different coloration spot of the pickguard.

Can you advise?
Old 02-26-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieu View Post
In one of the pictures, it looks like the pick guard shrunk into the sound hole (uneven flatness). I could be wrong as the picture is slanted and the different coloration spot of the pickguard.

Can you advise?
Hey, hieu, and thanks for the interest. As is common with so many vintage Martins, there has been some minor lift or "cupping" of the original pick guard. This is the result of some minor shrinkage, but also the practice of adhering the guard to the guitar's finish by the factory.

As I glide my hand across the entire pick guard, the flatness is very even. Perhaps not entirely, but aside from the cupping, very nearly. Two luthiers have offered to flatten the cupped end back down, one has advised against it. To be honest, being the original guard that does not inhibit play, it probably allows the top to vibrate more freely, so I've left it be. To paraphrase Bryan, "Why put new rims on an old workhorse ranch truck?"

As a matter of fact, Bryan may be representing the guitar through his personal site and YouTube channel soon, so I don't expect it to last as he'll be able to go into particulars even further, etc. If you'd like, I can certainly take more photos as requested. Please PM if you'd like to go that route -- and thanks again!

Old 02-26-2019, 10:57 PM

Wow what a classic beauty.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Sold/pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjudoman View Post
Wow what a classic beauty.
Thanks, bryantjudoman! I knew this one was catching fire: Sold pending buyer approval off-forum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
60s, brazilian rosewood, d-28, dread, martin