The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2018, 03:05 AM

Default Fender Newporter

Hello forum,
I recently bought a used Fender Newporter in its seemingly original case for just 120€ / 138$. Looking to trace its serial number/construction date, etc I came across two numbers inside the body. The first is a 6 digit number and the second a seven digit number. The 6 digit number returns a result in fender guitar finder as being constructed in the US between 1979-81 the 7 digit returns no result.
Why are there two numbers and what might the actual serial number be?

I include pictures of the guitar and the numbers found.

Last edited by Samian; 10-11-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:39 AM

The six digit number on the neck block is likely the serial number. I do not know what the other number would be. Since you did get a result from the neck block number, I would go with that number for furthur investigation.

Nice guitar. Good luck on your inquiry.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:45 AM

Congratulations on a cool looking guitar. You got a great deal!
Old 10-11-2018, 03:56 AM

Thanks for your replies guys. I m certainly feeling lucky with the deal I got on it and the guitar sounds great. No problems apart some minor scratches from being a 40 year old used guitar. It's amazing what people kill at the flea markets. I sent a mesage to fender support hopping for some explanation on why there are two numbers but I m not sure they will ever bother replying.
I still hope some one in here might have come across a similar situation.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samian View Post
Thanks for your replies guys. I m certainly feeling lucky with the deal I got on it and the guitar sounds great. No problems apart some minor scratches from being a 40 year old used guitar. It's amazing what people kill at the flea markets. I sent a mesage to fender support hopping for some explanation on why there are two numbers but I m not sure they will ever bother replying.
I still hope some one in here might have come across a similar situation.
Call them. They've got great people working there who know this stuff inside and out.
Keep in mind that the CBS era goes through mid 80's, and there's not always a lot of records for them at Fender.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:03 AM

Do some google searching - there’s a couple of sites with Newporter specific info.
I had one as my first acoustic, purchased new in the late eighties if I recall correctly. Looked up the history on it before I donated it to the local kids music program.
Was my only acoustic for years and years until I needed to plug in. And started discovering better guitars. It served me well, though.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:51 AM

You're guitar is part of the Fender California series made between 1982 and 1992. They were mainly made in Korea but I believe that they made them in Japan for the first year or two.

An easy way to tell the CBS era made in USA Fender acoustics is by the bizarre bolt on neck and neck plate, much like their electric guitars.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
You're guitar is part of the Fender California series made between 1982 and 1992. They were mainly made in Korea but I believe that they made them in Japan for the first year or two.

An easy way to tell the CBS era made in USA Fender acoustics is by the bizarre bolt on neck and neck plate, much like their electric guitars.
I just got a reply from fender and you are right on the bolt on neck.
It is either made in Japan between 1982-86 or Korea between 1986-92.
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

A little off topic but I am enamored of the new solid wood Fender Redondo.
Mostly because I grew up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=XO-vwos8654

Please let us know how your vintage Newporter sounds.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:48 PM

That video is so cringy when he's describing things.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, fender, newporter