The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2016, 11:39 AM

Default Embarrassed to Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
when you play in C formation at that capo position
Wade, I really appreciate that you read what folks are actually asking, and provide the answer, even if the question isn't phrased "correctly".

I'm a bit confused by "play in C formation". Does that mean starting and ending with a "C" shaped open chord? Example: a C, F, G chord sequence? (I understand these would actually be other chords, depending on where the capo is.)

I don't want to hijack this thread, but would like to know if "Gmaj" is different from "G", or "Cmaj7" is different from "C7". I see both used, and I treat them the same.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
As a way to try to re-state the process simply:

Find your natural range by singing the song without the use of an instrument. Most folks will easily find where they can comfortably sing an entire song.

Pull out your guitar and match the chords to the key that you naturally sing in. Once you ascertain the key you can capo or adjust chord selection as necessary for easy accompaniment to your selected vocal key.
Exactly. When I attempt a new song, I don't pay too much attention to the original key it's in. I usually notice pretty quickly whether a song in a certain key fits my vocal range or not. If it doesn't, I try singing it over the chords, starting in open position. From there, I repeat the process, each time moving the capo up a fret or two at the time. Using this method, I find a position to play the song on the guitar that fits my vocal range 99% of the time.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 05-05-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchoure View Post
Ohh Wade Hapmpton, Thank you so much, this does help me a lot. And i am a 22 year old guy. I read on the internet that using capo is for girly voices with high pitch so i am a little concerned as i use capo and am only comfortable using it around the 4th fret.
I have no musical background but i am very drawn to music and it makes me really happy, but unfortunately i cannot sing. so i started practicing singing when i was alone at home and after quite a while i started getting comfortable with the way i sound when i sing or started liking my singing voice( if that makes sense).
Also, thank you for sharing your personal experiences.
I am aiming to able able to sing like an average person or just sing along to my favorite music or to be able to carry a tune.
Just keep practicing your vocal skills, they can and will get better. My wife and I play as a duo - I sing 95% of all our songs. My wife had no musical background either and her vocals were downright bad for a while. She is an above average singer now and is working on learning to sing harmony now.

Some folks do have a better natural voice than others but the voice can be trained just like learning new guitar chords. Just keep playing and singing. Keep in mind that playing and singing together is also a bit harder than doing just one of the two.

Oh yeah - capos ain't a "chick thing" either.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-05-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post

I'm a bit confused by "play in C formation". Does that mean starting and ending with a "C" shaped open chord? Example: a C, F, G chord sequence? (I understand these would actually be other chords, depending on where the capo is.)

I don't want to hijack this thread, but would like to know if "Gmaj" is different from "G", or "Cmaj7" is different from "C7". I see both used, and I treat them the same.
I'm not Wade but I'll answer. First, play in C formation means yeah, you play a C chord, except moved up the fretboard due to the capo.

The question about the maj7 is a good one ... I've never seen Gmaj written without the 7 after it, but Gmaj7 is definitely not the same as just G. There are 7th chords (do you know about those?) and also maj7 chords. There are a lot of ways to play a maj7 chord, I think the easiest one is the Amaj7 like this:

http://totalguitarandbass.com/system...png?1352868755

It has a different sound to it than either a A major or a A7 chord. Once you starting hearing it you'll never go back :-) You'd need some basic music theory (how to build chords) to understand why it's called maj7 vs 7 but that won't stop you from playing it and having fun.
2022 Taylor AD17e Blacktop
2016 Yamaha FG820 Autumn Burst
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 05-05-2016, 12:47 PM

I was playing something just now and realized that there's an even easier maj7 chord.

Play the standard C chord form, and now just lift your index finger (which should be fretting the 2nd string on the 1st fret). Voila. Cmaj7.
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 05-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Thanks JayTee32. I went back to my theory book by Bruce Emery and found the major seventh chords. Appreciate the help!
Old 05-05-2016, 01:27 PM

Default Amaj7

I came across this beautiful sounding chord by accident when experimenting with finger positions and listening for pleasing sounds. I also like the sound on an upstrum, to my ear it sounds so lush and full. I have practically no musical training, so I had to look it up in a chord book, though I suspected from the fingering position it was related to the A chord. I love the sound of it!

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood

Last edited by frazervalley; 05-05-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Wade, I really appreciate that you read what folks are actually asking, and provide the answer, even if the question isn't phrased "correctly".

When I say "play in C formation," I'm not saying "play only a C chord." What I mean is that you play the song with the chords that are used in the key of C. So you'd be starting with a C chord, but then using F, G, A minor and any other chords that the song has in it.

If you play in C formation while capoed at the the third fret, that puts you in the key of Eb natural. If you're playing with a piano player, the piano player would be using the chords that occur in the key of Eb.

Quote:
And, as you've discovered, they aren't the same. A major 7th chord is usually used as a passing chord between a standard major triad like a G chord, which consists of a G note, a B note and a D note, and a 7th chord.

A regular 7th chord consists of that major triad - in this case G, B and D - with the flatted 7th tone added. Which in the key of G is an F note. That makes the notes in a G7 chord G, B, D and F.

The major 7th tone in the key of G is an F# note. Which means it's between the G triad and the G7 chord.

You can hear that walk-down, where they start on a G chord, add the major 7th F#, then drop that note to an F in the opening bars to the Eagles' song "Lying Eyes."

If you have a song that you want to play and the chord chart calls for a G major 7 chord that you don't know how to play, you're better off just playing the G major triad instead of a regular G7. The three notes of the triad will harmonize with with the missing F#, but an F note will clash.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-05-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
Do you have a capo chart? That could help you identify what key you are singing in. The first chord in your songs can help identify the key.
Last chord is usually a more reliable clue. If it resolves, that's the key. Songs can often start on a 2min, 4, 5 6min...
Old 05-06-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
I read on the internet that using capo is for girly voices with high pitch so i am a little concerned as i use capo and am only comfortable using it around the 4th fret.
Actually, sometimes you need to capo higher to sing lower.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Capos offer a lot of versatility , though at the expense of quantity of available notes.
I want all the neck to play on, but,
Sometimes the only way to get the satisfactory result is with a capo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-06-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Hello people, I usually am comfortable singing with a capo on 3rd and 4th fret, usually the 4th fret, and use A C G E F Am Em and F7. So I am just wondering what key do I sing in when I sing also why am I only comfortable with singing with these chords only, I don't sound good on the chord D.
Thank you in advance
I don't sound good on any chord.

The simple answer is range. The solution is increase it.
It can be done. I have and I'm old. The notes at the upper levels of your own range can be accessible with practice/lessons and you cn learn to hit them comfortably.

Everyone except the most gifted has a "range" where they sound best.
I do try to sing stuff in my range otherwise...yuk!
Old 05-06-2016, 07:46 AM

Here's another "manly" capo song ... this is in the key of F# but played with "C formation" as Wade puts it, and the capo on the 6th fret. Way up there. You might recognize this version, it was in the movie Shrek.

2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, capo, singing