The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-30-2015, 07:00 AM

Default Martin F-7 Archtop

I have a 1935 Martin F-7 Archtop, all original, in pretty good condition. I am on the fence about selling it or converting it to a flattop. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2015, 07:05 AM

If its original and in good condition, I would leave it alone or sell it intact. I would only convert if it had damage to the top. If you want a flat top, just get a Martin M that was based on early conversions.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:10 AM

Thanks HHP. I was thinking along those lines too. I do not really want to be the one that modifies a rare guitar. That said, if I am going to sell it, it may be more profitable once modified. I am having a hard time determining what it will sell for (pristine or modified) since there are so few of them around. I am also not sure how much it will cost to have the conversion done (right).

Last edited by EPiC Audio; 05-30-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
If its original and in good condition, I would leave it alone or sell it intact. I would only convert if it had damage to the top. If you want a flat top, just get a Martin M that was based on early conversions.
A BIG +1 to that - and you might find this of interest:

http://www.archtop.com/ac_35_F7.html
Old 05-30-2015, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the info Steve. My F-7 is only a few serial numbers away from the one you sent the link to. It looks like that one sold already, no price shown. Please let me know if you have an idea of a ballpark price for one of these. They are pretty rare and I can't seem to get a good feel for what they are worth. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2015, 03:40 PM

Default Martin F-7 Archtop

First of all, PLEASE don't modify such a rarity. I'm sure it's extremely valuable in its original, unaltered state.

Why not get it appraised by someone?

I know Gruhn's does online appraisals:
https://guitars.com/appraisals
Old 05-30-2015, 03:53 PM

Thanks kkfan, I am leaning away from modifying the guitar. I do want to get it appraised but I am concerned about shipping it back and forth. I will hand carry it next time I am going to be near a reputable appraiser. Thanks.
Update - I responded to soon. I just looked at the link you sent me and see Gruhn's does on-line appraisals.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiC Audio View Post
Thanks kkfan, I am leaning away from modifying the guitar. I do want to get it appraised but I am concerned about shipping it back and forth. I will hand carry it next time I am going to be near a reputable appraiser. Thanks.

Update - I responded to soon. I just looked at the link you sent me and see Gruhn's does on-line appraisals.

Yes, EPIC, I sent that link specifically because they offer appraisals online. [emoji4]
Old 06-01-2015, 04:08 AM
Charter Member

I'm on the other side of the argument. if you can get someone that is really qualified to do the mod and you've got several years to wait on them... I would convert it. But that's just me.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

contact Joe Vinikow at Archtop.com -- he'll let you know what to expect from a direct sale of your Martin archtop.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:22 AM

Just curious as to the fret shape on that neck. My '33 C series had frets without the T shape. Just flat stock.
While Martin arch tops do not sound like a D'Angelico they're part of history.
I'd sell it or do a trade.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtV View Post
Just curious as to the fret shape on that neck. My '33 C series had frets without the T shape. Just flat stock.
While Martin arch tops do not sound like a D'Angelico they're part of history.
I'd sell it or do a trade.
I was going to post a picture of the frets but I can't post attachments. I am not sure what you mean by a T-shape fret. My F-7 still has the original frets and the neck is bound so all I can see if the part of the fret exposed above the fret board.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Tags
archtop, conversion, f-7, martin