The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-10-2014, 01:08 AM

Default GS Mini pre purchase

So I've tried a bunch of guitars and for various reasons the Taylor GS Mini Rosewood ticks all the boxes for me. My trip to the local store in Edinburgh is planned for Sunday.

What should I be doing pre purchase?
Obviously inspecting and playing the guitar? Should I look to negotiate on price (a little over £500), ask for some extras? I wasn't sure if to ask for a couple from the stock room to gauge appearance and tone or if guitars at this price have no differences and this was just being a bit "extra"

What about a set-up? The one I played previously, had a high action.

Thanks for any advice.

Martin 00-15

Last edited by Supergoose; 07-10-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:34 AM

A set up should be included as a post-sales service by the store. When I've bought new I've been recommended to play-in the guitar for a couple weeks before a new set-up but then that was with electrics.

You may on the other hand be happy with the playability straight of the box as it were. I would definitely see if they can throw in a set of strings at the very least, and maybe a package price if you buy a decent strap at the same time.

Enjoy
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 07-10-2014, 05:50 AM

Check action at the nut. For some reason they often cut them noticably higher, enough to mess up intonation and make F barre chord pain to fret. If you don't have tools to do it yourself, it would be good for them to do it. It's 10 minutes of work.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 AM

I would recommend a trip to the US. 500 £??? Holy cow. You can get the Mini for half that over here. They usually run $500 street, but with a well-timed sale, you could get one for $400 I'm pretty sure.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM

If you think the action is too high, tell the salesperson that you're ready to buy now but would like the setup to be included in the price. It's possible they'll say no but be sure to ask. Also ask if they can do anything on the price.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM

Is the GS Mini you are planning on purchasing the same GS Mini you played when you were "checking your guitar boxes"?

If not, (or if you haven't played any GS Mini's), then it would be a good idea to ask to also see a couple other Mini's from stock, just to compare action, fit, and finish (and tone..., but, don't get lost in mental dithering over which one is the very, very best. If one stands out, go for it, but don't chase sonic phantoms or you will get lost in a maze of imagined quibbles).

Negotiating can be tricky. If you aren't prepared to walk away, it can be pointless and, frankly, just embarrassing. Check around, if the dealer's price is in the ballpark (similar to other area stores that also sell the Mini), then fair is fair and buy the guitar in hand. If the dealer's price is substantially higher, then make an offer which is similar to the other dealer prices you have checked out (other "real store" dealers, not internet guitar slingers). And if no satisfactory price budging occurs, say thanks and walk out.

(maybe stop to buy a set of strings, as a thank you for offering up their merchandise for you to check out, and to give them time to re-consider your offer. Leave on good terms. It is just business, not personal. And, to reiterate, if you don't have a price in mind and aren't willing to walk away, why bother to negotiate?)

But, if the price is reasonable and similar to other dealers (stores, not internet), then why nickle and dime the guy for ten bucks and three-cent pick. Ask instead for a free set up. A setup involves time and service, and time and service is what a real dealer has to offer their clients. You aren't going to be marrying the guy, but developing a good relationship, one that creates two happy participants, is more valuable in the long run than trying to squeeze the last nickel out the fellow.

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.

Last edited by epaul; 07-10-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaul View Post
But, if the price is reasonable and similar to other dealers (stores, not internet), then why nickle and dime the guy for ten bucks and three-cent pick. Ask instead for a free set up. A setup involves time and service, and time and service is what a real dealer has to offer their clients. You aren't going to be marrying the guy, but developing a good relationship, one that creates two happy participants, is more valuable in the long run than trying to squeeze the last nickel out the fellow.
^^^ +1 Enjoy!
Old 07-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I would recommend a trip to the US. 500 £??? Holy cow. You can get the Mini for half that over here. They usually run $500 street, but with a well-timed sale, you could get one for $400 I'm pretty sure.
Hmmm,... Yeah, they usually run $500 street... and you might catch a good sale and save a bit more... but, I've never seen $400 new! Where do you live? I need to shop by you.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaul View Post
Is the GS Mini you are planning on purchasing the same GS Mini you played when you were "checking your guitar boxes"?

If not, (or if you haven't played any GS Mini's), then it [strike]wouldn't[/strike] would be a good idea to ask to also see a couple other Mini's from stock, just to compare action, fit, and finish (and tone...,

Edit.............................................. ...

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Default GS Mini prices

I bought mine this past February for $400 from a storefront dealer. A thought of mine to would-be purchasers, seeing as the body is laminate: The acoustics will be driven by that particular guitar's soundboard and bracing. I think that whatever premium is paid for uptick b/s appearance is for just that - - - appearance. I regard my Mini as a utilitarian workhorse and teaching machine, and an awfully nice one at that. But bling? I'll pass.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:10 AM

Thanks a lot for all the input.

I'll be sure to take it all to the store with me. For sure all guitars are priced more expensive here. But if I look to import them,the import charges make the I overall cost just a little less than the store price.

Cheers Mannies

Martin 00-15

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gs mini