The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec214_rolyaT View Post
That is exactly the type of feedback I was fishing for with that post

Thanks, Jon!

~James
I have an 814ce (previously had a 114ce), but I do see a use for the GSmini: it is a comfortable, great-sounding smaller guitar. I bought the Mini when I still had the 114 - to me, they are completely different. The Mini feels more "intimate," but still puts out plenty of sound and nice tone.

Next month, we will head out on another extended trip - 5 to 6 months out, living on our boat. Last year I bought a RainSong Shorty (carbon fiber) to have a "no worries" guitar for that kind of traveling. Just got back from 2 1/2 months in the desert southwest, and the RainSong was a champ. I'm torn about which guitar to take along in the boat (really only room for one), the Shorty or the Mini. The Mini was 1/4 the price of the Shorty - both sound great. The Mini is smaller (23.5" neck scale vs 24.875" on the Shorty). I like the feel of the neck better on the Mini. No fuss with humidity on the Shorty.

May sound goofy, but that great gig bag with the Shorty makes it an easy guitar to haul around. I haven't been able to find a gig bag for the Shorty that offers the protection AND light weight of the Mini's gig bag.

If you try a Mini, I think you might find it offers a different experience from your 214.

Good luck with the decisions,
Captain Jim
Old 04-13-2014, 07:38 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
That video would be "telling" if it identified which guitar was which. Not being familiar with either one I have no idea. Oh well, to little for me anyway.
Eastman first - Taylor second....

Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 AM

I liked how it was done because you had to check the order afterward.I love my Eastmans but the Taylor sounded better.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
No problem! Don't get me wrong, the Mini is a great little guitar, and if you have the budget, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Mini in addition to your 214, but I wouldn't get rid of the 214 just to get the Mini unless your primary guitar needs to be smaller.
Get rid of my 214? You would have to pry it from my cold dead hands!

I have been gassing for a parlor type guitar for a while now, and the mini looks like a perfect solution.
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Epiphone J-200-SCE
Gibson J-35
Taylor 416
Taylor 214ce
Ovation Balladeer

I cut my teeth on the bread of pure temptation.

I tried it all and I learned to fall Like I would

never hit the ground.

- Jeffrey Foucault
Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 PM

Can we ignore the content of thread and still post a bunch of guitars to stay away from? It seems to shame to waste a good brand-trashing thread...
Old 04-15-2014, 04:49 PM

The problem with this thread is that I can tell you a guitar to stay away from and you'll love it.

The only guitars I've played in a long while that I didn't like were Taylor's, I just have a natural aversion to them really though. I don't like their signature sound and I don't think they represent good value. My problem (though I'm sure some will say misguided problem) is their NT neck.

I'm not saying that a bolt on neck is inferior to a set neck, but what I wonder is, why isn't it cheaper than guitars of similar quality with set necks? Look at fender their guitars are most of the time cheaper than gibsons for instance. That's because they're cheaper to make. So why do Taylor's not follow that model. I have a feeling it's more about wanting the public to perceive Taylor's as high quality than just overpricing for more profits. But I just think taylor should've shared some of that production cost that was lost when they switched to the nt neck, and they didnt

I really just want to know the reasoning for this though I'm not trying to bash, I really don't know much about Taylor's at all because like I said I just don't like their sound

Last edited by Teleman52; 04-15-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
$70 is a cheap test drive.
Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-29-2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
Here it is (Eastman ETG1 and Taylor GS mini)
If I would have seen this video I wouldn't get the Eastman. Talk about bad timing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eastman, gs mini, taylor