The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-05-2021, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Here is mine with the Bigsby installed.20210505_165952.jpg20210505_165959.jpg
Old 05-05-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Here is mine with the Bigsby installed.Attachment 56096Attachment 56097
That looks great!
Old 05-05-2021, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Here is mine with the Bigsby installed.Attachment 56096Attachment 56097
Very pretty. There's no mistaking a Gretsch.
My G2657T Streamliner arrives tomorrow. I ordered it in Ocean Turquoise. I'll snap a picture of it and post it. If I do wind up ordering the G5410T Limited Edition, I'll probably get that in the Fiesta Red. I like how the white pick guard pops against that color. I want to see how much I like the Streamliner before I pull the trigger on the 5410.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-06-2021, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
My G2657T Streamliner arrives tomorrow. I ordered it in Ocean Turquoise. I'll snap a picture of it and post it. If I do wind up ordering the G5410T Limited Edition, I'll probably get that in the Fiesta Red. I like how the white pick guard pops against that color. I want to see how much I like the Streamliner before I pull the trigger on the 5410.
I have owned a streamliner and I really had no complaints. Was it as nice as the Electromatics, no, not quite. But, it was a very nice guitar in its own right and sounded and played great!
Old 05-06-2021, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Gretsch isn't evil, it's you guys posting photos of all these great looking guitars on here promoting GAS that are evil

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-06-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
My G2657T Streamliner arrives tomorrow...I want to see how much I like the Streamliner before I pull the trigger on the 5410.
Apples and oranges in terms of both tone and QC - IME if you're using the Streamliner as your criterion of what the Gretsch marque represents, you're going to come away with the wrong impression. Just as none of the Acoustic subforum folks would use a Martin DXME to inform their decision to purchase an HD-28, I wouldn't use an entry-level instrument as my standard here either; although there are those (very) rare instances where there is that sort of consistency across the line, given the divergent product sourcing and materials this is unfortunately not one of them - and speaking as a lifelong Gretsch fan, if I were seeking a low-end hollowbody/semi I'd be far better-served with an Ibanez (YMMV). Take it for what it is - play it, enjoy it, take it to jams, use it as a mod platform as you stated above - but keep your expectations realistic...

If you're within reach of a reasonably well-stocked dealer (even if you have to make a day trip of it) I'd recommend a "try-before-you-buy" with one of the MIK E-Matics, even if it's not a Tri-Five - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you find out what the buzz is all about...
Old 05-06-2021, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Apples and oranges in terms of both tone and QC - IME if you're using the Streamliner as your criterion of what the Gretsch marque represents, you're going to come away with the wrong impression. Just as none of the Acoustic subforum folks would use a Martin DXME to inform their decision to purchase an HD-28, I wouldn't use an entry-level instrument as my standard here either; although there are those (very) rare instances where there is that sort of consistency across the line, given the divergent product sourcing and materials this is unfortunately not one of them - and speaking as a lifelong Gretsch fan, if I were seeking a low-end hollowbody/semi I'd be far better-served with an Ibanez (YMMV). Take it for what it is - play it, enjoy it, take it to jams, use it as a mod platform as you stated above - but keep your expectations realistic...
How a company presents the least of their line can give me some idea of what to expect from slightly better models. The Streamliner arrived about an hour ago. The initial once-over leaves me fairly impressed with the QC. The frets are smooth and the ends are well dressed. On cheap guitars, tuners are a common place to see corners cut but the tuners on this thing are as smooth as any I own. The only complaint I can muster at this point is a minor ...and I mean VERY minor... blemish in the top beneath the bridge.

I have a few things to do today but I"ll give it another going over tonight and I'll plug it in. I like what I see so far though.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-06-2021, 01:41 PM

I have one of the cheapest Streamliners out there: the 2215 P-90 Junior Jet Club and it’s a fine guitar for the money. Fretwork is perfect as is the fit and finish of the instrument overall. My tech even commented on how much he liked the pickups. The only upgrades I might consider would be the tuners and maybe the three-way switch. I was a US-only electric snob years ago (fender and McInturff) but after buying two Streamliners I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up any of Gretch’s Indonesian offerings; they’re perfectly acceptable for my purposes.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars