The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-06-2021, 08:54 AM

Default Best "Enhancement" for the Anthem SL?

OK I am wondering what would be the best pedal to get to enhance the sound of my Anthem SL? I have seen a lot of folks claiming the Baggs Session pedal is great to pair with the Anthem. Or possibly a Aura pedal? Or maybe a Baggs Voiceprint or even the Optima Air pedal. Or just learn how to EQ it? (BTW, I am terrible at EQ...not sure why...when I turn up the mids and sweep around, everything sounds bad to me , so how do you tell what part of the mids to lower?). Or maybe a Boss AD2 or a TCE Bodyrez? Something just to improve the raw sound of the Anthem SL. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:09 AM

Hi Jack,

I think we've had this discussion before, but the Zoom A1Four will give you a great variety of EQ options. You can create patches which run a graphic EQ in series with a different graphic EQ (with different frequency band options), or you can create patches which run a single band parametric EQ in series with a two band parametric EQ, or you can create patches which run a parametric EQ in series with a graphic EQ, or you can even use effects which simulate the EQ options of a preamp like the Baggs Venue. On top of all that, the A1Four includes three basic manual EQ knobs (bass, midrange & treble) for "quick and dirty" EQ adjustments at the gig.

I seem to recall that you're not a fan of the A1Four, but it does have a great deal of EQ flexibilty for those who take the trouble to figure it out and maybe even add certain effects from the effects library.

In the case of my own Anthem SL rig, I found that a fairly healthy cut around 250Hz was very helpful. Perhaps the Anthem SL system is overly strong around 250Hz because that is the so-called "crossover frequency" where both the UST and the mic are contributing to the total output signal.

If you'd rather not deal with a digital device, a simple Boss GE-7 graphic EQ can be used pretty effectively to adjust the Anthem SL's tonal balance.

The first step with the Anthem SL, of course, is to adjust the mic volume to a point where it matches the UST volume as well as possible. The goal is to get a nicely even overall tone. This needs to be done before the user starts experimenting with EQ.

With regards to the Session DI, I suspect that it might work pretty well with the Anthem SL. It provides a special kind of compression which keeps certain troublesome frequency bands under control. I also suspect that the Session's "controlled distortion" might be helpful in thickening out an overly thin sounding high end.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:15 AM

Default Aion Lumin

There is a kit - the Aion Lumin. Not for the faint of heart to source all the parts and solder together, but it allows you to adjust the phase of bass, mids, and treble at about the frequencies that your guitar and/or the Anthem might be misbehaving.

To follow up on Guitaniac’s excellent response, the Lumin would phase correct that 250Hz problem spot instead of reduce it. It produces the same result only with more fullness and better note balance.

I also used to use the TC Electronics BodyRez. That was a wonderful pedal.

I currently use a circuit of my own design that is essentially a preamp with color.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string

Last edited by HogsNRoses; 05-06-2021 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added Guitanic’s input
Old 05-06-2021, 11:27 AM

Yes it's very possible we've had this discussion before, so thanks for your patience

So you cut the low mids for the Anthem? Interesting.

I'm not sure what you mean when you said the first step was to match the mic volume with the UST volume? When I turn the little screw it just changes the amount of mic and thereby changes the tone. But I can't tell where the volume of the mic is vs the volume of the UST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Hi Jack,

I think we've had this discussion before, but the Zoom A1Four will give you a great variety of EQ options. You can create patches which run a graphic EQ in series with a different graphic EQ (with different frequency band options), or you can create patches which run a single band parametric EQ in series with a two band parametric EQ, or you can create patches which run a parametric EQ in series with a graphic EQ, or you can even use effects which simulate the EQ options of a preamp like the Baggs Venue. On top of all that, the A1Four includes three basic manual EQ knobs (bass, midrange & treble) for "quick and dirty" EQ adjustments at the gig.

I seem to recall that you're not a fan of the A1Four, but it does have a great deal of EQ flexibilty for those who take the trouble to figure it out and maybe even add certain effects from the effects library.

In the case of my own Anthem SL rig, I found that a fairly healthy cut around 250Hz was very helpful. Perhaps the Anthem SL system is overly strong around 250Hz because that is the so-called "crossover frequency" where both the UST and the mic are contributing to the total output signal.

If you'd rather not deal with a digital device, a simple Boss GE-7 graphic EQ can be used pretty effectively to adjust the Anthem SL's tonal balance.

The first step with the Anthem SL, of course, is to adjust the mic volume to a point where it matches the UST volume as well as possible. The goal is to get a nicely even overall tone. This needs to be done before the user starts experimenting with EQ.

With regards to the Session DI, I suspect that it might work pretty well with the Anthem SL. It provides a special kind of compression which keeps certain troublesome frequency bands under control. I also suspect that the Session's "controlled distortion" might be helpful in thickening out an overly thin sounding high end.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:59 AM

Yes, I think he was talking about that little screw. It adjusts the mic volume relative to the UST.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 05-06-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Yes it's very possible we've had this discussion before, so thanks for your patience

So you cut the low mids for the Anthem? Interesting.

I'm not sure what you mean when you said the first step was to match the mic volume with the UST volume? When I turn the little screw it just changes the amount of mic and thereby changes the tone. But I can't tell where the volume of the mic is vs the volume of the UST?
I'm afraid I confused the issue by using the word "volume". I should have just said that the mic gain screw should be adjusted to the point where you achieve the most pleasing tonal balance for your guitar's amplified sound. With the Anthem SL system, the UST provides almost all of the signal below 250Hz and the mic provides almost all of the signal above 250Hz. Of course, there is some "crossover" right at 250Hz in that each source is providing part of the signal. In any event, your first action should be adjusting the mic gain screw (while amplifying your guitar, or listening to the pickup signal on headphones) to get the most pleasing amplified tone possible. After that is done, EQ adjustments may well be needed to further improve upon your amplified tone. That is certainly the case with my own Anthem SL-equipped guitar.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:19 PM

Have you just got a fly rig? (Seen from another thread). The compressor and semi parametric EQ on there should be more than enough to enhance the anthem.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 05-06-2021, 01:04 PM

Yes that's what I thought you meant. I found that if I add too much mic, the tone can get very brash and glassy. I would recommend turning the mic down even a little more than you think you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I'm afraid I confused the issue by using the word "volume". I should have just said that the mic gain screw should be adjusted to the point where you achieve the most pleasing tonal balance for your guitar's amplified sound. With the Anthem SL system, the UST provides almost all of the signal below 250Hz and the mic provides almost all of the signal above 250Hz. Of course, there is some "crossover" right at 250Hz in that each source is providing part of the signal. In any event, your first action should be adjusting the mic gain screw (while amplifying your guitar, or listening to the pickup signal on headphones) to get the most pleasing amplified tone possible. After that is done, EQ adjustments may well be needed to further improve upon your amplified tone. That is certainly the case with my own Anthem SL-equipped guitar.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:06 PM

Yes I did. I haven't had a chance to mess with it much yet, but I hope you're right. I'm just horrible at EQing. Especially with parametric. I know you're supposed to turn it up and sweep around listening for offensive frequencies. Problem is they all sound bad to me when you turn up the mids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Have you just got a fly rig? (Seen from another thread). The compressor and semi parametric EQ on there should be more than enough to enhance the anthem.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Yes I did. I haven't had a chance to mess with it much yet, but I hope you're right. I'm just horrible at EQing. Especially with parametric. I know you're supposed to turn it up and sweep around listening for offensive frequencies. Problem is they all sound bad to me when you turn up the mids.
Yes find the worst then cut. Somewhere over to the left on the mid sweep would be a good place to start. Once you nail it you’ll never look back. I ended up boosting lower mids to make a lyric sound how I wanted it. Just sit and play with the settings on the EQ there’s no rules and you’ll soon find somewhere your pretty happy with m, then you just need to tweak for each room

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 05-10-2021, 01:45 AM

Quote:
This may or may not be of help but resonances, which then translate to nastiness in the amplified sound, often appear at common points, between 100-180Hz for that "boomy" low sound, normally tamed with a wide -2db cut, and somewhere round 800hz-1Khz which sounds "hard" and would be tackled with a narrower -6db(-ish) cut.

Hope that narrows things down.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:21 AM

Yes that helps. Thanks! I guess I just have to learn what to to listen for?
Never had to do my own sound before, so I just know what sounds good overall, but don't know how to get there. Too bright or too boomy are easy. It's the mids that are hard to figure out

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
This may or may not be of help but resonances, which then translate to nastiness in the amplified sound, often appear at common points, between 100-180Hz for that "boomy" low sound, normally tamed with a wide -2db cut, and somewhere round 800hz-1Khz which sounds "hard" and would be tackled with a narrower -6db(-ish) cut.

Hope that narrows things down.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:03 AM

Most people buy the Anthem SL so they won't have to do any EQ live. I suspect that any analog EQ will solve your problem. And, yes, learning to EQ is the likely solution. Instead of trying to pinpoint the problem with the spike, just make a mid cut on your EQ all the way. Then sweep until you get rid of what ever bothers you. Then, slowly bring the mids back up until it sounds full but without the annoying frequency.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:00 AM

I will try that method. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Most people buy the Anthem SL so they won't have to do any EQ live. I suspect that any analog EQ will solve your problem. And, yes, learning to EQ is the likely solution. Instead of trying to pinpoint the problem with the spike, just make a mid cut on your EQ all the way. Then sweep until you get rid of what ever bothers you. Then, slowly bring the mids back up until it sounds full but without the annoying frequency.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
+1...exactly the right way to do this in my experience. I don't need or use any EQ between my Tak and Loudbox Performer. The Anti-Feedback on the amp is really a sweepable mid control and I use Dave's method along with the phase switch to fatten the sound without honkin' the mids and losing the bottom end. This helps fatten the trebles without losing the separation in the mids. Some folks just drop out all the mids and they lose punch, fullness and get a thin top end.

The AD2 is notch is okay and can accomplish this somewhat, but it is very broad. The additional Resonance is kinda like the Body Rez and the Ambience is just a light reverb effect. The Body Rez won't do this at all so don't waste your money on it.

I would do exactly what Dave recommended between your Anthem and amp EQ first. If that is not enough, then get a good outboard EQ like a Fishman Platinum, which may be more than you want, or the smaller Platinum Stage EQ. I like the Baggs Align EQ or Para DI... I'm not much for the others that use compression or saturation. Learning EQ with your ears and not your eyes is essential.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification