The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-03-2021, 09:21 AM

Default Anybody else still get billed by Patreon

after cancelling the subscription? I started subscription a while back for lessons but decided to cancel as I really don't care to be billed monthly, and have found some lesson options where I pay a flat rate on the spot for lessons.

And please don't misunderstand, I have no issues paying where payment is due and supporting a business as I run one myself. I was paid up when I cancelled.

I have blocked future payments via my bank as even though my account says I am not presently pledging anyone they are still charging me.

Cheers!
Old 06-01-2021, 12:32 PM

Default Update

Had to finally cancel the debit card and get a new one as I kept getting charged even though I had officially cancelled my account and even blocked the last monthly payment through my bank!

Be wary of the monthly charges!
Old 06-04-2021, 06:11 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of monthly fees either, and unfortunately you can't make a one-time donation on Patreon.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 06-09-2021, 07:18 AM

I hate subscription-type arrangements that require a monthly payment via credit of debit card. I refuse to do it.

When my father-in-law passed away, my wife tried for several months to cancel a subscription he had via a shared credit card with my mother-in-law. In exasperation, she called the company and said her father was dead. Apparently, that wasn't a valid "excuse" for cancelling. She had to cancel the credit card and get a new one. The company made a significant effort to get hold of the new CC #.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:39 AM

I got billed once again by Patreon even though I cancelled! Turns out even though I had a new debit card issued, I need to call the bank back to officially cancel the old one. My bad I guess?
Old 07-06-2021, 09:48 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
I got billed once again by Patreon even though I cancelled! Turns out even though I had a new debit card issued, I need to call the bank back to officially cancel the old one. My bad I guess?
I would never use a DEBIT card for stuff like this. A credit card should allow you to just do a chargeback for any unauthorized charges. How did Patreon even get your new debit card number?

Edit: I misread your post. Surprised your bank couldn't just block all charges from Patreon.

Last edited by egordon99; 07-06-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:04 AM

I have a Patreon subscription to a podcast I like. I also subscribe to the podcast directly (Patreon came about before the podcaster set up his own payment plan). I'd cancel, except that I really like the podcasts, and while I've listened to his stuff for close to fifteen years, he's just getting by, so I support him both ways.

But he (and I) are unhappy about Patreon's constant changing of terms of use. First, they bill in $US. Then, they switch to EUR. And the people who are getting paid keep getting raped by the company, too. If my guy dropped Patreon, so would I.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
I would never use a DEBIT card for stuff like this. A credit card should allow you to just do a chargeback for any unauthorized charges. How did Patreon even get your new debit card number?

Edit: I misread your post. Surprised your bank couldn't just block all charges from Patreon.
Supposedly they did: twice. Only final recourse was to cancel the card apparently. I got a form letter from Patreon about cancelling. It didn't address my question about cancelling. Just about a refund. Crooked in my opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write