The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2020, 09:12 AM

Another vote for one of the Elite Acoustics amps. I have the D6-8ii and it is simply wonderful!

One thing not often mentioned about EAE amps is that they use class A preamps. High quality class A preamps going into an incredibly featured digital mixer, feeding a high quality bi-amp powered studio monitor quality speaker and tweeter! Just fantastic sound for both guitar and vocals!
Old 11-30-2020, 09:23 AM

I play my Taylor 412/K&K, and vocals through a Fishman Loud Box Mini. Reverb is available for the vocals. It can be sent to a FOH PA if desired. It has plenty of power. It is small. It does the job quite well. I don't search for anything else.

I also have a Fire Eye which is great to have, but I do not need it with the Loud Box.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 11-30-2020, 09:26 AM

Just one thing about the Bose S1. I have two of them (which I use as extension speakers, monitors, AV speakers, etc.). I also have the Elite Acoustics D6-8 and a Schertler Roy. Both the D6-8 and the Roy have class A preamps.

There is an absolute world of difference between the sound of the S1 using the guitar and mic inputs directly and using the S1 fed from the preamps of the D6-8 or the Roy. I don’t really like the S1 all that much directly, but it sounds pretty incredible as an extension speaker from something that has high quality preamps!
Old 11-30-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
Have a look at the Elite Acoustic products. Could solve the problem.
Just an add:
I have the Elite Acoustic D6-8 amp - great unit.
But more often I use their floor pedal mixer StompMix X6 and connect it to a QSC K.8
Here is a vid I did last year demonstrating the X6 in a vocal / multi-instrumental setting.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 11-30-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Just one thing about the Bose S1. I have two of them (which I use as extension speakers, monitors, AV speakers, etc.). I also have the Elite Acoustics D6-8 and a Schertler Roy. Both the D6-8 and the Roy have class A preamps.

There is an absolute world of difference between the sound of the S1 using the guitar and mic inputs directly and using the S1 fed from the preamps of the D6-8 or the Roy. I don’t really like the S1 all that much directly, but it sounds pretty incredible as an extension speaker from something that has high quality preamps!
I have kind of found the same thing. Not impressed at all direct, but running through something like a Yamaha MG06X it really shines. I still have trouble with it feeding back on a few notes, mostly B. D, or E and that can get annoying, but it doesn't sound bad otherwise.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
I would like to not use a mixer.
IMO, this may be the simplest approach, although it may mean another bag/case to carry.

I have a Behringer X1204USB mixer that gives me multiple inputs, three-band EQ, compression and twenty different effects (only one at a time), so I can also apply reverb on a per-channel basis. It also gives me a stereo pair out via USB for recording, Zoom, etc. They sell new in the U.S. for about $220-250, and you can find them used for much less. Also, other models, with fewer inputs and/or without USB sell for less, and obviously there are similar products from other manufacturers.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-30-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Grace Felix in place of Fire Eye?
That was my first thought and what I’m using currently.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:44 PM

Another vote for the Elite Acoustics gear. Its a great start with very high quality tone. You can add a Bose S1 Pro later if you play for larger groups or want a separate monitor. I use my Elite Acoustics as a monitor and two Bose S1Pro's for my mains. I also use the Elite Acoustics Stompmix6 for a mixer, effects, mute, etc. That would be all you ever need until you hit the stadium tours.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:04 PM

I just cannot get a good sound out of my S1 Pro. Either way too bassy and I get that low rumble feedback or way too bright and everything is kind of ice picky. Frustrated because I really want to love it! The size is awesome and it does get loud. I also have a QSC K10.2 that I can stick with. That StompMix 6 sounds really interesting though! I may have to really look into that!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification