The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-25-2020, 09:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Bypass tone variation with EH 720 looper

I recently bought a Grace Alix pre-amp (which I love) and I'm using it between my K&K equipped Martins, Seth Avett D-35 and M-36, and either my Bose S1 Pro or ACUS OneforStrings 8 or ACUS AD. When placing the EH 720 looper between the Alix and the amp with the looper in bypass mode I hear a definite and not desirable variation in tone compared to just going from the guitar to the Alix to the amp. I'm wondering if others have experienced a tonal variation with this looper even when in "true bypass" mode. I like everything else about this looper after trying a couple others (two-button, no noise when turning on or off, easy to create and erase loops, long loop time). But this variation in tone is difficult for me to ignore, to the point that I really don't want to use it when I'm performing.

Are there any other loopers out there with the same features I listed that truly do NOT affect the tone when in bypass mode?
Old 11-26-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
I recently bought a Grace Alix pre-amp (which I love) and I'm using it between my K&K equipped Martins, Seth Avett D-35 and M-36, and either my Bose S1 Pro or ACUS OneforStrings 8 or ACUS AD. When placing the EH 720 looper between the Alix and the amp with the looper in bypass mode I hear a definite and not desirable variation in tone compared to just going from the guitar to the Alix to the amp. I'm wondering if others have experienced a tonal variation with this looper even when in "true bypass" mode. I like everything else about this looper after trying a couple others (two-button, no noise when turning on or off, easy to create and erase loops, long loop time). But this variation in tone is difficult for me to ignore, to the point that I really don't want to use it when I'm performing.

Are there any other loopers out there with the same features I listed that truly do NOT affect the tone when in bypass mode?
I own the EHX 720 as well as the newer EHX 1440. I've never noticed either of these loopers changing the tone in either loop or bypass mode.

I'm not sure where the problem lies in your particular situation.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:29 PM

I have a EXH 720 and don't experience any change in tone or volume while in bypass mode.
2020 Yamaha AC5R
2017 Fender Paramount PM-1 Limited
2003 Ibanez AEF-37 TCS
1969 Yamaha FG150
1974 Yamaha FG-100
1999 Les Paul Standard
2006 Gibson SG Standard
2009 Fender American Stratocaster
2015 Fender American Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification