The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-25-2019, 12:53 PM

I've played those Taylor GS Mini bass a few times. They are quite nice and can put out some acoustic volume if played hard. But I already have my Kala U-bass so it would mostly be redundant. The U-bass requires amplification. I was initially worried a bit about the custom string set for the Taylor Mini Bass, but they seem to be selling enough units, plus the competing ABG's use the same strings, so they will likely be in production for a while.

I have also heard these played on another U-bass, but have not yet tried a set myself. They sound pretty good, with a bit more edge to the tone compared with the stock "rubber" strings. https://kalabrand.com/collections/u-...ant=6032410753
Old 10-26-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgph View Post
That Rob Allen is a very classy looking bass. But as a guitar player who occasionally pretends to play bass for a jam group, the scale is undoubtedly too long for me. I am lovin' my guitar scale Ibanez.
If anyone has an interest in the Rob Allen Mouse (short scale) bass, I can relate that I'm totally pleased with a similar 30" scale bass that I designed and built. There's an entire build topic on Talkbass as well as a free downloadable construction plan. Not for someone unfamiliar with instrument construction, but it's a very nice instrument.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/30%...build.1251494/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments