The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-10-2020, 10:55 AM

Default Wanted: All Solid Spruce/Hog - Recording King vs Harley Benton

Hi all.

I don't use these forums much but I hope you don't mind me asking you all a quick question.

Gone are the days when I could afford £1000-1500 on one acoustic guitar ( I couldn't back then either)

But I am in search of a good spruce / hog guitar for recording, possibly busking and gigging too if it's good enough. I have an LR Baggs anthem lying around so don't need a pickup.

It's a toss up of 3 or 4 right now:

Recording King RD-318 Adirondack - £ 480 ish

Harley Benton Custom Line CLD-41S WN - £259

Yamaha - Yamaha FG3 Red Label - £649

Alvarez Masterworks MD60BG - £449 (new contender)

*Note - just added the Alvarez to the list. The Canadian guy who reviewed the RK also loves these guitars and I value his opinion.

I don't really want to spent that sort of money ( the Yamaha ) but it does look sexy to me and I've always liked Yamaha.

I was a big Furch fan, still am, but their standards dropped vs price in recent years... still great... but not sure I can afford one.

I own an Auden chester (the cedar hog £899 one) and it's gorgeous, I traded it for a cutaway version of the same guitar and actually like the cutaway one less. My first one was sweeter sounding so lesson learned cutaway not worth it! Not that that was the reason, but the other sounded better... anyway...

This is what I've got it down to.. I own a Blueridge Br-160 Sprice Rosewood. Aged lovely over 12 + years but I've never liked the treble and lack of warmth on Rosewood. It competes with my voice too much. I like to sing over the warmth of mahogany.

Issues with each guitar

1. The RK I played RK guitars in shops in the past and was never impressed but I think this was due to old strings and bad setups. It's the one that makes the most sense. correct woods, decent price. But it's not a wildcard.

2. HB is walnut back and sides. they don't seem to do an all solid spruce hog which is just weird... I'm going to call them monday and ask...

I like walnut on banjos, but I think it's a bit thin sounding on a guitar. It's between rosewood and hog to my ear. Prefer it to rosewood though, I think.

3. Yamaha is, really, just too expensive, but only a touch. I could always make sacrifices to stretch to it if it's worth it.

Last option is second hand and classifieds but I'm wary of older guitars because of warped necks and dodgy action. I actually think modern guitars play a lot nicer than vintage ones, just my experience, but I am open minded.

I think I want dread. If not dread, it has to have a body big enough to growl a little.

Last edited by MarioSavio; 10-12-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:25 PM

If you can just stretch the budget a bit I would definitely go with the Yamaha. Just my 2 cents. Those red label Yamahas are really nice. Is there any where you can play one?
Old 10-11-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

I'll second the Yamaha - every one of the new Red Label series that I've played has been stellar.

I'm not familiar with Harvey Benton guitars, and I've yet to play a Washburn that made me want it.

As far as Recording Kings are concerned, only a couple of RKs out of the many I've tried has ever floated my boat. One was an all-solid 000 for around $500 new but the fret ends needed work so I kept looking - sounded pretty good, though. The other was a used all-solid 00 for a low, low $195. Why didn't I buy it? I was shopping dreads so I put it back down and turned my attention elsewhere. A lady enters the shop and, as she glances at the RK, I say "That really is a nice guitar for the money!!" She picks it up, strums it, ten minutes later she's walking out the door with it, LOL!!

So, in order, I'd go Yamaha, RK (if all-solid), then Washburn.

Oh, did I mention what I did buy instead of that RK 000? A used Eastman E1OM for $300 shipped. Super nice guitars - you really should consider those.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 10-11-2020, 11:54 AM

In my experience Recording King guitars are excellent value for money.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

The Recording King RDS 11 sells for $459 here in the US and it seems like a tremendous value although I haven't played one. I will when the opportunity presents.
JP Cromier is a monster Canadian player and he loves these things...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I have a RK RD-316 and it’s fantastic. Big D-18 like sound. I believe the 318 is very similar only with an aged top.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:56 PM

Have you considered an Eastman E1D? I got a stellar used one for <$400 and it is a fantastic guitar. All solid spruce over sapele.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I’ll second the Recording King series 11 line. Solid wood and a nice dry vintage flavored tone. I’m strongly considering one to back up my Martin 000-17 for rowdy gigs.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-11-2020, 02:45 PM

I had an RK RD328 a while back, and it was a great guitar (both quality and sound).
Old 10-11-2020, 04:55 PM

I would say, why not wait a few months and save up that money. You have a good guitar now, if you continue saving for 6 months, couldn't you get a great guitar?
Old 10-11-2020, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I’ll second the Recording King series 11 line. Solid wood and a nice dry vintage flavored tone. I’m strongly considering one to back up my Martin 000-17 for rowdy gigs.
I really don't "need" one either (and they are hard to find now?) but I thought about grabbing one to leave at my river cabin. Maybe...we'll see?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-12-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
If you can just stretch the budget a bit I would definitely go with the Yamaha. Just my 2 cents. Those red label Yamahas are really nice. Is there any where you can play one?
Yeh, maybe in Portsmouth. I could also order one online and I have two weeks to send it back. That might be better tbh. I'm thinking of buying 2 maybe 3 guitars (ain't got the cash for more haha!)
Old 10-12-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinTac View Post
Have you considered an Eastman E1D? I got a stellar used one for <$400 and it is a fantastic guitar. All solid spruce over sapele.
I have concluded a while ago I am not the biggest fan of Sapele it can't seem to cope with punchy playing or digging in so much as regular mahogany. It's sweet sounding though, nice for fingerpicking.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I really don't "need" one either (and they are hard to find now?) but I thought about grabbing one to leave at my river cabin. Maybe...we'll see?
I do in some senses 'need' it because my Blueridge is Rosewood and I've never ever got on with it. I appreciate it, but I don't love it if you get me.

I used to think cedar hog was my magic bullet and have that with my auden, but over time, when I want to play loud or aggressive, I've really noticed my Auden can't deliver and sometimes I need a brighter crisper sound... but the Rosewood Blueridge is too bright and treble full for me.

So the only thing that fills that gap is spruce and mahogany. I play so many different styles I need to tonal options to create what I want to create, have been playing nearly 15 years so have had the time to think about what I want hehe.

Need is subjective I guess. But for me to achieve what I want to, I plan to sell the blueridge and buy one, maybe two more guitars.

I may literally order the Harley Benton just because I love walnut and it's so cheap, and try one of the Recording kings too, if I don't feel satisfied, I may just order the FG3 and compare and just keep either the Yamaha, or the other two cheaper guitars.

We shall see.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
I'll second the Yamaha - every one of the new Red Label series that I've played has been stellar.

I'm not familiar with Harvey Benton guitars, and I've yet to play a Washburn that made me want it.

As far as Recording Kings are concerned, only a couple of RKs out of the many I've tried has ever floated my boat. One was an all-solid 000 for around $500 new but the fret ends needed work so I kept looking - sounded pretty good, though. The other was a used all-solid 00 for a low, low $195. Why didn't I buy it? I was shopping dreads so I put it back down and turned my attention elsewhere. A lady enters the shop and, as she glances at the RK, I say "That really is a nice guitar for the money!!" She picks it up, strums it, ten minutes later she's walking out the door with it, LOL!!

So, in order, I'd go Yamaha, RK (if all-solid), then Washburn.

Oh, did I mention what I did buy instead of that RK 000? A used Eastman E1OM for $300 shipped. Super nice guitars - you really should consider those.
I'm in the UK. One thing I like about the Yam is the Ebony fret board. Rosewood can be a little sticky.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, harley benton, recording king