The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-08-2018, 02:39 AM

Default Cube EX with Jensen Mod8-20 speaker upgrade (opinions?)

I'm thinking about upgrading the stock speakers on my STREET CUBE EX with the jensens (which is common) I like the sound of the EX with an electric but the acoustic guitar sounds very thin and to my ears horrible (I have an ac33 and that sounds very nice with an acoustic, though it has its draw backs)

do you feel the jensens dramatically improve the sound of an acoustic guitar when installed on the EX?

my other alternative is to buy the new Fishman loudbox mini charge (which I know will sound better even with a speaker change) but If I sold my EX then I wont have an electric amp. I love the cube EX for how versatile it is, its a grate all in 1 amp. for acoustic guitars it sounds terrible (even my K&K equipped acoustic sounds terrible through the EX) . so if I could significantly improve the sound of the amp with some Jensons then I will do that. I just wanted peoples opinions?
Old 04-08-2018, 06:21 AM

I have a Loudbox Mini Charge and used to have a Street EX. There is no comparison between the two regarding how much more real volume and bass the Charge can reproduce. Also, my Les Paul with and without a Tube Screamer clone, sounds pretty good into the Charge. The Charge is now in my practice room and the electric guitar amp is gone. It was good enough. The Mini Charge sounds excellent with my K&K and Baggs Element equipped guitars. I plan to mix my duo into it for this summer's no AC gigs (passive resistance mixer for the two guitars and an XLR Y-cable for our mics).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-08-2018, 07:34 AM

That's good to know. so I could effectively use the fishman amp as an electric amp. sounds like I could use the fishman for a versatile amp. (will mainly be using it for acoustic but sometimes electric) but yea I think you have sold me on the fishman amp. all I have to do now is sell my EX and wait till the mini charge amp is released in the UK

you feel the fishman mini charge is better or not as good as the EX for electric guitars?
Old 04-08-2018, 11:02 AM

The Jensen speakers to significantly improve the sound of the Street Cube EX. The improvement is in the lows and low midrange frequencies: exactly where the Street Cube EX is weak.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisme View Post
That's good to know. so I could effectively use the fishman amp as an electric amp. sounds like I could use the fishman for a versatile amp. (will mainly be using it for acoustic but sometimes electric) but yea I think you have sold me on the fishman amp. all I have to do now is sell my EX and wait till the mini charge amp is released in the UK

you feel the fishman mini charge is better or not as good as the EX for electric guitars?
I did not own both at the same time and this is just too hard to answer for another person regardless. I was not that happy with the Street Ex overall and thought the power rating (retired EE) out of 8 AA batteries is the kind of laughable joke that used to get governments involved to regulate. Though that said, I also knew I was not going to get, and did not need, 50 watts of sound. At best, in the electric guitar world where distortion is a feature, it is a 5 watt amp.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-09-2018, 10:27 PM

This may not help much, but I put 2x8 Jensen Mod speakers into the baffle of a Silverface Fender Bandmaster Reverb.

I works ok as an acoustic amp, but it sounds quite good with an electric guitar through a dirt pedal.

Out of curiosity I am tempted on trying Fenders AcousticSonic Jr replacement speaker which has a much greater extended range at both ends of the spectrum.

I do find the Mod 8's to be a little weird in the bass response in an open back configuration. They would probably be adequate in a tuned cab.

Overall for the 50 bucks a pair I soent on them... Way better than expected.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic guitar, jensen, speaker upgrade, street ex