The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-13-2021, 09:49 PM

Default Recording rookie tries condenser mic

Hello gang,
I just tried out my new AT 2035 mic, running it into a Spire Studio (which supplied the necessary phantom power). I wasn't actually recording, just listening to the signal of the preamp output through headphones. All of this took place singing and playing in an untreated room with lots of soft surfaces.

I was very surprised by two things:

1. The extraordinary sensitivity of the mic at both ends of the sound spectrum.

2. My perception of the sound of the vocals as emphasizing the higher tones, significantly so. This, as compared to what I had been used to with my Audix i5 dynamic mic.

I'm wondering if I should return the AT 2035. I know that many of you have emphasised the importance of treating the room, but the reality is that I am unlikely to do that, as we may be moving to a new home within the next year. I am not trying to make professional quality recordings, just good quality ones to share with family.

I invite your opinions! Thanks,

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:40 PM

You're just hearing what's actually there. Don't blame the mic in this case.

The Audix dynamic mic is going to naturally have way less high end, that's what it's designed to do for the most part.

Your Spire has EQ available to taylor the sound to your liking.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:52 PM

I was shocked at the sound of the first condenser I used after years of a Shure 57. But after awhile I adjusted. Experiment with mic placement. Maybe record with both mics.

I wouldn’t give up until you’ve worked with it awhile. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:16 PM

Both of these responses are extremely helpful to me. Thank you!!

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:01 AM

make acoustic treatment panels, even a few will make all the difference. so what, you are getting a new house..what does that change?
Old 01-14-2021, 05:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

My first exposure to a condenser was enlightening. Along with many other factors it led me to a career in recording. My thought? Gobos are your friend. Gobos are moveable acoustic panels. They can be as fancy a standup frame with an acoustic panel within it to a boom mic stand holding up a thick quilt to dampen high-end returns.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

There is definitely going to be noticeable difference between a Stage dynamic and a Studio Condenser

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-15-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

I have a couple of AT-2035 that I use to record a single instrumental acoustic guitar. The large condenser AT-2035 are warmer to my ears than small condensers. I do not have any dynamic mics to compare them to though.

Just recently I did an experiment using a puffy and large bean bag "ball/chair" that belonged to one of my grandsons as an acoustic treatment between my guitar and the wall across the room. It gave me a bit more clarity, less muddiness which surprised me.

So as Bob pointed out you don't have to build panels as room treatments, you might be able to use a blanket or two draped in front of you, back a couple of feet to prevent reflections.

Before going down the rabbit hole of spending hundreds on new mics looking for "the one", a bit of room treatment might help.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-14-2021, 09:55 AM

Again, thank you for all the responses so far. I will be keeping the microphone and trying the suggestions offered.

I have also learned through experimentation that there is a considerable proximity effect. Singing closer to the microphone seems to provide a more accurate sound.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:11 PM

I used two 2035s to record most of an album at home this past summer, and having done that, I will not do it again. Compared to other mics I've tried and purchased since, the 2035d have a hyped, brittle response in the high end that can make bright sources and sharp transients sound distorted and spitty. I still have one that I might use on occasion (for backing vocals or as a dog toy), but I'll never allow one in close proximity to an acoustic guitar again. For a mic in the same price range, the Lewitt 140 is way more clear and balanced.

My .02 (or .04, since I had two of the ****'d things),

Trent
Old 01-16-2021, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent in WA View Post
I used two 2035s to record most of an album at home this past summer, and having done that, I will not do it again. Compared to other mics I've tried and purchased since, the 2035d have a hyped, brittle response in the high end that can make bright sources and sharp transients sound distorted and spitty. I still have one that I might use on occasion (for backing vocals or as a dog toy), but I'll never allow one in close proximity to an acoustic guitar again. For a mic in the same price range, the Lewitt 140 is way more clear and balanced.

My .02 (or .04, since I had two of the ****'d things),

Trent
I'm not a AT fan boy, but my two 2035 mics don't exhibit that kind of tone. I don't pretend that there aren't better mics out there though. Here's a tune that I recorded with them:

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 01-16-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:44 AM

OP here. After having experimented more with my AT2035, especially with respect to distance from the mic, I am pretty satisfied with it. I haven't even tried any of the room treatment effects yet, but I will have to do so. When singing and playing a 12 string, the voice is overpowered by the guitar, even when singing pretty directly into the mic. Room treatment will likely help a lot with that.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
OP here. After having experimented more with my AT2035, especially with respect to distance from the mic, I am pretty satisfied with it. I haven't even tried any of the room treatment effects yet, but I will have to do so. When singing and playing a 12 string, the voice is overpowered by the guitar, even when singing pretty directly into the mic. Room treatment will likely help a lot with that.
Yes a 12 string is a different animal
Arguably it is putting out twice the sound energy from the same amount of physical energy put into playing technique.

So while Room treatment may help reduce the level of reflected energy

Altering your playing technique will accomplish more and or perhaps altering mic position as well
#1 learn to play the 12 with less relative energy.
#2 instead of having the mic straight up and down vertically , try angling back and up towards you mouth Or try having it positioned horizontally (just below mouth) and rotate it more upward.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-19-2021, 05:33 PM

Thank you, KevWind. Great suggestions!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD