The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-31-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
If by salt you mean sodium chloride you would be better off using potassium carbonate. Table salt can be used to calibrate to a RH of 75%, whereas potassium carbonate equilibrates at 43%, which is much closer to where you want to calibrate your hygrometer. You can order potassium carbonate on Amazon, and find the calibration methods with a google search.
Thanks for your reply! I'll definitely order Potassium Carbonate on Amazon to calibrate my hygrometers more effectively. I'd like to have the most accurate reading possible.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Just curious. You hanging you're guitar on the wall? Keeping in a stand? Or keeping in the case? Whichever is the case. I'd move it out of the basement.
Thanks for your reply! I was originally keeping it on stand, but after all these issues I returned it to the case. Seems to be slightly safer that way.

I'm seriously considering moving the guitar upstairs, if I'm not able to optimize my studio's environmental conditions soon.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I don't think that D'Addario's humidipack system works as effectively at drying things out as it does at preventing dryness. My experience as someone who lives on or near the water in the Pacific Northwest suggests that other forms of desiccant packs will be more effective.

I just wouldn't ever store a guitar in a basement, even within a case. In my cabin in the San Juan Islands, I keep guitars up in the loft, the driest place I have, especially in the winter when we keep the wood stove fired up. Regardless, running a dehumidifier in a basement while the guitar is stored in a case seems a bit futile.
Thanks for your reply! I figured that the Humidipak system wouldn't cure the issue that I am having. Might be good to have if the guitar ever becomes too dry. I've read that Silica Gel Packets can be effective so I may try those next.

I will definitely move the guitar out of the basement if I'm not able to optimize my studio's environmental conditions soon.

I agree that it's futile to run a dehumidifier while the instrument is in the case. I now have the guitar in the case with the lid open, and I have noticed a slight improvement.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Is this the in-case RH gauge with or without a Bluetooth transmission system? When I first read your post, I took it to means the gel filled Humid-paks. They are pretty good at adding moisture to a dry case, but do a poor job of absorbing excess humidity beyond their set point - unless they are already dry to the point of being crunchy.

I don't use the salt test to check the accuracy of my hygrometers. I put them outside for a few hours and compare them to the official aviation weather reports. The NWS weather station is at the airport 3 miles from my house. Even so we water the large lawn so our outdoor RH is often ~5 points higher than the official number.
Thanks for your advice! I have the D'Addario Bluetooth Transmission System as well as the Humidity Control packs. Maybe I'll save the gel packs for another season when the guitar is too dry.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
My guitar room is a 71% RH at 19 deg C at present. It has been over 70% RH for a couple of months. The necks on my guitars haven't moved. The action on my guitars hasn't moved.

There's something else going on here, not just humidity issues. There is something structurally not right. But without seeing the guitar I couldn't say what it was. A guitar shouldn't be moving that much that quickly unless there is a significant structural weakness (young woods fast dried, thin sides badly sawn, poor bracing etc).

This is an expensive guitar; to be displaying such instability is just plain wrong!
Thanks for your reply! I'm starting to suspect that there is something else going on. Even at it's highest, my humidity was never more than 55%-60%.

If the problem persists past a few weeks, I'll have to take it back to my luthier for inspection.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
What was the humidity at leading up to all this? Do you even know?
Thanks for your reply! The humidity level was around 60% when the issue began. When I brought the guitar home from my luthier, it was about 55% (My hygrometer said 50%, but I recently calibrated it and found it was off by 5 percent).

I didn't realize that that level of humidity would cause so many problems. I've managed to get it down to the mid 40s now. Hopefully after a few weeks I will notice an improvement.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssynhorst View Post
I'd stick the hygrometers inside the case for a while; it might have different humidity than the room. Meanwhile you could put the guitar someplace upstairs for a while and see what happens to it. There is something going on somewhere that you need to find. - Stevo
Thanks for your advice! I purchased an Oasis Hygrometer so I can accurately monitor the conditions inside the case. I think this will help me find the issue.

If I'm not able to correct the issue soon, I'll definitely move it upstairs and see what happens.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
Other have replied to the cause and effect of the humidification, but I'll add my recommendation for the Acoustic Remedy cases.

I have 2 for my acoustics and so far I haven't needed to use the Humidipacks provided. The indicated humidity has amazingly stayed between 40-50% consistently. That's even in the sticky humid summer weather we have in SW Pennsylvania.

Thanks for your reply! That Acoustic Remedy case looks awesome! I'm seriously considering investing in one but, living in Canada, it would be very expensive with the USD to CAD conversion, shipping etc. However, it sounds like it would be worth the investment.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Kiln. Dried. Woods.

Quantity over quality...

Had similar problems (among others) with two CFM IV-era Martins of my own, seen a number of others among the local musical community over the last quarter-century or so...

Welcome to the "new normal"...
Thanks for your reply! That's a really interesting point. I'd be interested to read more about the changes to Martin's manufacturing process through the years.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengstrom View Post
I bought my GPCPA4 in the fall of ‘18. All that winter, the Relative humidity in my practice room was in the low 40’s. When summer came around, the humidity rose to about 70%. I began to notice a higher action. I kept shaving the saddle to get the action lower until there was almost no saddle showing out of the bridge and the break angle was almost nothing.

The neck relief hadn’t changed, so I thought the top had bowed with the added moisture. I thought that once winter came around again, the action would go back down. Nope.

This Spring I took it to an authorized Martin repair shop. Long story short, the shop sanded the bridge down so the saddle could be shaved some more. The pins sit lower so the break angle is better. I thought a neck reset was in order but this is all Martin would pay for. (They said they were doing it as a “courtesy”. So much for their warranty, but that’s a topic for another day.)

The guitar plays much nicer, and sounds better, but I can’t help wonder if whatever moved in the first place will move some more. To help deter that, I won’t expose it to 70% relative humidity again.

John
Thanks for your reply! I was wondering if the issue would resolve itself after spending a few weeks in the ideal environment but, based on your story, I don't think that will be the case.

I may need to make another trip to my luthier for a repair and then make sure it never experiences such high humidity again.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telephototyler View Post
Thanks for your reply! That Acoustic Remedy case looks awesome! I'm seriously considering investing in one but, living in Canada, it would be very expensive with the USD to CAD conversion, shipping etc. However, it sounds like it would be worth the investment.
They often run special discounts, so keep checking in with them if you are interested.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, humidity, john mayer, martin, set up