The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 05:40 PM

Default Does This Appearance Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2 View Post
Five thousand dollars is a lot of money for this guitar. I just don't get it.
What's the surcharge for doing this to the top? Is it also on the sides and back?
Actually there is no surcharge for the distressed finish. P*W charges the same $ for a nearly pristine non-relic’d finish or their highest level of distressing. The list of great players who own one if not a few of these guitars is pretty impressive and plenty of folks who own true pre-war guitars have purchased these P*W guitars. The proof is in the sound and craftsmanship. Play one and then let us know what you think.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-15-2019 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 07-15-2019, 05:49 PM

I've played 2 pre war guitar company guitars now and neither of them sounded very good. Not terrible or anything but nothing special. They certainly didn't sound like the actual pre war instruments they are trying to emulate. The relic job on both looked pretty fake as well. Hard pass from me.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
To each their own, but the relicing thing doesn’t appeal to me at all. From ‘76 until ‘02 I owned a ‘58 Strat that had a lot of natural wear, but 95% wasn’t by me, but by those players before me...which was ok because at least it was put there honestly.

People always refer to player grade guitars as having “honest wear” and it made me wonder what “dishonest wear” was. Now I know.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeD View Post
do they make them without damaging/scratching them up?

I would opt for that.
Yes...level 1 is pretty much nonexistent. I just finished reading this entire thread. I'm amazed at how volatile this subject of relicing is. I can see both sides of the argument but I also hear the quality instruments these Pre*War guitars are. I wouldn't opt for the (2.5 level) one the OP posted...a little too relic'd to suit me but someone else might love it. I own two of Wes & Ben's guitars (D & HD Braz) and both great instruments. Both level 1 relicing. They are not going to be for everybody...nothing seems to be? Put ten people in a room and get them to agree of a flavor of ice cream. Impossible! So I just take it as what it is. All I ask of the folks who don't like them is to play one if the opportunity presents itself...that's all. And if you're more into modern voiced guitars they might not be for you. But at least then you'll know.

I can't help wondering how Pre*War Guitar Co. would have been perceived as a quality built instrument had they forgone the whole relicing aspect. I think it's important to get past the aesthetics and recognize the "beauty" below...how they're built and how they sound. Just my two cents...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 07-15-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:17 PM

Are they made in China?
Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

I'm literally stunned at the responses in the hours since I last posted in this thread. Based on Pre*War's wildly successful debut and currently 1 year wait list, not to mention the few used guitars that sell at practically brand new pricing, I'd say they're doing a lot right. They are in high demand everywhere and are sold nearly as soon as they arrive at the few dealers that currently exist. I strongly advise those of you commenting negatively about the merits of artificial relic'ing to actually play one of these guitars if you get the chance. If you like the Martin tone, these guitars are INCREDIBLE.

Earlier this year, I was graciously invited to the home of forum member 'aintitthelife98' to play his Pre*War Adi/BRW OM and Adi/Hog Dread. Both guitars were awesome but the OM was in the top 2 best OMs I've ever touched (and for 8k new it had better be!). It was Level 1 relicing, so just had the finish crazing, but the volume, bass, superb playability, and incredible tone FLOORED me. Dry and vintage voiced like an old Martin.

Play one and thank me later!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-15-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2 View Post
Are they made in China?
Yeah man we get it, you don't like it.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Yeah man we get it, you don't like it.
Either that or he can’t read
Old 07-15-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I'm literally stunned at the responses in the hours since I last posted in this thread. Based on Pre*War's wildly successful debut and currently 1 year wait list, not to mention the few used guitars that sell at practically brand new pricing, I'd say they're doing a lot right. They are in high demand everywhere and are sold nearly as soon as they arrive at the few dealers that currently exist. I strongly advise those of you commenting negatively about the merits of artificial relic'ing to actually play one of these guitars if you get the chance. If you like the Martin tone, these guitars are INCREDIBLE.

Earlier this year, I was graciously invited to the home of forum member 'aintitthelife98' to play his Pre*War Adi/BRW OM and Adi/Hog Dread. Both guitars were awesome but the OM was in the top 2 best OMs I've ever touched (and for 8k new it had better be!). It was Level 1 relicing, so just had the finish crazing, but the volume, bass, superb playability, and incredible tone FLOORED me. Dry and vintage voiced like an old Martin.

Play one and thank me later!
So this has gotten off track from my original intent. I didn’t expect personal challenges. We can all like what we like. What I was trying to frame in my OP was related to our attitudes regarding appearance of new guitars and what was acceptable.

We continually see threads where we ponder whether we should return a guitar because it has a few scratches. I for one (and you too I believe) do not like guitars with runout. I don’t think many of us would accept a brand new guitar with a top full of finish checks — consider all the threads about waiting to open shipping boxes during winter months. How often do we hear — the only thing that matters is the tone, yet appearance of Pre War guitars is front and center as contrarian ...etc., etc., etc. So when I saw the Pre War guitar at TME today I thought: how is this different? There seems to be an inconsistency that I wanted to explore. That’s all there was to it.

Is it different because the builder says they intended to design these same flaws into a new guitar? If I was interested in purchasing a $5k guitar from Pre War, I would expect the same high standards in play & appearance that I expect in any other guitar I bought. I don’t get it, but that’s ok. I was hoping to learn/understand that given any new $5K guitar should sound great — why do players choose to pay for (what I see as) pre-damaged appearance.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
What I was trying to frame in my OP was related to our attitudes regarding appearance of new guitars and what was acceptable.

We continually see threads where we ponder whether we should return a guitar because it has a few scratches. I don’t think many of us would accept a brand new guitar with a top full of finish checks — consider all the threads about waiting to open shipping boxes during winter months. How often do we hear — the only thing that matters is the tone, yet appearance of Pre War guitars is front and center as contrarian ...etc., etc., etc. So when I saw the Pre War guitar at TME today I thought: how is this different?
Paul, I think the main difference is that you know what you’re buying when you order a Pre*War. The company openly touts the benefits of the ultra thin finish and the checking helping the instrument to breathe right out of the gate. When they first started, you could order no relicing. Now Pre*War won’t do anything less than Level 1 because of the positive tonal effect they believe the checking imparts.

It’s also my personal opinion that Pre*War’s astounding success has contributed to the sudden surge of Martin Aged Authentic purchases we’re reading about here and on UMGF. Like PW, the only way you can get Martin’s ultra ultra thin finish is to by the Aged/Relic’ed version of the D-18A or D-28A.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-15-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
When they first started, you could order no relicing. Now Pre*War won’t do anything less than Level 1 because of the positive tonal effect they believe the checking imparts.
Whoa! Dude. Seriously?
So relicing is a million hours of Tonerite? Sign me up.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:18 PM

I would never buy a guitar that is made to look like that, no matter the sound. I agree with the poser comment earlier. Besides, I take the best care I can of my guitar. (Comes from not having much as a kid, I suppose)

If anyone needs theirs relic'ed cheap, send it to me. I have an active German Shorthaired Pointer, and fully clawed cat, kids, and grandkids. I'll just leave it in the middle of the living room and check on it every couple of days until it's right.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

This level of distress is not my cup of tea, but I could understand someone finding it cool or different enough to buy if their budget allowed AND the playability and tone is there*. Fender has been doing "relics" for a number of years. Not everyone would buy one, but I don't think anyone complains about them except when the aging doesn't look authentic, which I do think can be a fair point.

*I haven't had the chance to play a "Pre-War" but a friend said he was quite impressed with the tone.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 PM

pager & ALBD

The China question was based on some misinformation.
Sorry it touched some nerves.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:04 PM

I wouldn't pay 5 grand for something that beat up. Lots of very nice new guitars for that price.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion