The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD! Gibson content

So, I had sworn off dreadnoughts because they were just too uncomfortable to play. However, I happened to stop in to my local GC and went in the high end room and there were a few that weren't locked to their hangers. I started checking them out, strummed a few and first of all was surprised to see that unlike in the past, all the guitars were set up decently and in tune.

I happened to pick up a Gibson Humming bird Avant Garde and was immediately struck by how comfortable it was to play. I started doing some research and found that Gibson has several models now that had a slightly thinner body and that's why I found it so comfortable. Anyway, I have always wanted a slope shoulder, so the hummingbird wasn't for me, but I read reviews regarding the new J-45 studio and decided to jump in. Sweetwater had some nice ones so I picked my choice and it showed up Saturday.

I am really blown away with this guitar. The body is only fractions of inches thinner, but it makes a huge difference in comfort. The back is slightly curved also. Whatever they did, for me it works. The neck is beefy enough without being too much for my smallish hands. The walnut back and sides adds a really nice clarity to the tone that I don't seem to hear in standard J45s. I'm sure the purist will be put off by that, but to me it sounds like heaven. There is still plenty of bass there, especially when you dig in, but even then, it is much less dark sounding to me. I have only heard others play the standard J-45, so other than that, I have no way to compare. But if you are looking for a slope shoulder dreadnought and have stayed away because of arthritis, shoulder issues, etc, I highly recommend this guitar.

My only concern is the bridge pins. The two treble pins are pushed in so far I don't know how I'll get them out to change strings. Anyone ever seen this before?

The rest of the pics:

Old 07-15-2019, 08:33 AM

Congrats! Gibson does sunbursts so well!
G7th Capos
Old 07-15-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post
Congratulations. Enjoy. Can you push/twist the bridge pins out from underneath (after removing the other strings for access)?
Old 07-15-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Excellent!
Enjoy

madhat.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:06 AM

What JC said should work. I bet it sounds really good. Nice looking too. I just got a Eastman E20ss a few days ago and I really like it. Different woods then yours but it is a slope shoulder too.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:08 AM

That's a beauty!
Those pins may come out easily after you loosen the strings.
If not, there are several tools which you can find here:
stewmac.com

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Congratulations. Enjoy. Can you push/twist the bridge pins out from underneath (after removing the other strings for access)?
That's what I plan to try when I change strings. I have two different pin pullers from stewmac, but both of them require some room under the end of the pin to grab. That high E string is the only one I think I might have to push from below.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post
Thank you! I loved picking a guitar from Sweetwater since you can look at high res pictures of the different guitars they have in stock. I liked this burst the best, but it didn't even register at the time that I chose the only one without a pickguard.

I'm not sure if I want one or not, but does anyone know where I can get a genuine Gibby pickguard?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Hi Backdoc,

I bet that guitar is very comfortable to play. I love my Gibson slope--and imagine that if it were a bit thinner, it would be even more comfortable.

Play it with joy, of course.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-15-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Very nice guitar. I’d probably refit some new pins, but it’s probably fine the way it is. Congratulations.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Seems like Gibson is turning back towards the Ren Ferguson era of building some great guitars. I'm all for that!

Anyone know who's heading up the Montana office these days?
Old 07-15-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Gibson! If you decide to add a pickguard, reach out to Taylor Mullins at Holter Pickguards to make a custom guard.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfair View Post
Seems like Gibson is turning back towards the Ren Ferguson era of building some great guitars. I'm all for that!

Anyone know who's heading up the Montana office these days?
Not sure about that, but I do think they are doing things right in Bozeman. I've seen many reviews on this and other current offerings from Gibson and have yet to hear a complaint. I ordered only from pictures on the sweetwater site, but the fit and finish under close inspection is even better than what I was expecting. The setup on this guitar was just perfect out of the box. I can't think of a thing I'd change other than the strings.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:31 PM

I hear you about the relative comfort issues with dreads and like you I found that particular Gibson body shape to be a lot more comfy due to the slope shoulder design, short scale, body depth & nice neck contour.

Nice guitar...I ultimately sold mine just because I have too many, but playing comfort was by no means the reason I moved on. Best flatpicker ever.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 07-15-2019, 02:42 PM

Congratulations, a beautiful guitar!

I've used a Q-tip with most of the fuzz cut off apply a little poly to peg holes that seem to be cut too much. I'm sure there are forum members who can provide a better remedy if removing the two low pins is an issue.

The walnut back is also really nice and I agree with previous post that Gibson does seem to do a very good job with their sunburst on acoustics. Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion