The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 01:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Edwinson Zephyr 00, Brazilian/Beaclaw Sitka, Ultra Primo

Many of you who participate in the AGF Custom Shop board are familiar with the Event of the Season, Tom B'sox's B.I.G. guitar celebration in Spring Branch, Texas, on the last weekend in March. We all had a fantastic time, exhibiting and playing world-class guitars, enjoying excellent food and imbibery, lots of great music, and the camaraderie of forty-some of our AGF friends. Tom and Kathy did a fantastic job, hosting this show, and we all hope this will be the first of many B.I.G. celebrations.

A few months back, Tom invited me to participate as an AGF sponsor and luthier, and exhibit some special guitars. I leaped at the chance, as it gave me an irrefutable excuse to build a couple top-of-the-line guitars, really pull out all the stops, and create some of my most advanced guitars ever.

I now have three new guitars available for adoption to good homes. I will post three threads featuring these. The first guitar I want to show you my Zephyr 00 model, the most high-end one I have made so far. Details and specs below, but first, some photos of this special edition Zephyr 00:

Now, the details:
EZ-S-00, Zephyr 00
Serial Number 1904-114; DOB March 14, 2019

Back and Sides: Premium, pre-CITES Brazilian Rosewood;
Soundboard: Alaskan AAAA Bearclaw Sitka Spruce;
Neck: Spanish Cedar, with red/Katalox/red center lamination;
Scoop cutaway with Macassar Ebony; Back Headstock Plate, Macassar Ebony;
Arm and Rib Bevels with Macassar Ebony Trim;
Bindings: Macassar Ebony with Deluxe three-line, red/Zebra/red purflings; Bound fingerboard and headstock, same woods.
Element style rosette with bound sound hole; Appollo style Ebony Bridge; Pogoda style Slotted Headstock with Swiss-made Schertler Tuning Machines; Mutli-segmented Back Strip and End Graft inlay, with Macassar Ebony, Spalted Maple, Cross-Grain Zebra Wood, and thin red veneer-line purflings;
Dual Side Sound Ports with Sliders in Brazilian Rosewood, purfled with Zebra;
Fingerboard and Headstock inlaid with Swallows in Red Coral and Paua Abalone;
Nigerian Ebony Fingerboard and Bridge, and Front Headstock plate; LMI TRSD two-way adjustable truss rod; Double side construction, with Mexican Royal Ebony (aka Katalox) inner sides; Seagrave Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish…

25” Scale length; 16” fingerboard radius; 1 25/32” nut width, 2 5/16” String Spread; Optimized for Fingerstyle or light Pickstyle playing; EVO Gold Frets.
Included with this guitar is a Hoffee Custom-Fitted, Deluxe Carbon Fiber Flight Case, with Silver Grey exterior finish, Thinsulate lining, Blue Crushed Velvet interior, Deluxe Draw-latches, and padded shoulder strap.

This amazing Zephyr 00 has a highly fluent tone, and it's still brand new. It has lots of clean sustain, articulate and highly balanced response across the spectrum, lovely tone color, and plenty of volume, especially for a small 00-sized guitar. As it comes into full bloom tonally, it will be an excellent recording guitar. The dual side sound ports with sliders have a surprising affect of being able to alter and shape the sound and projection characteristics. Interestingly, the bass response gets a boost from the upper port, played open; while the lower bout port gives the midrange and trebles more presence. Just imagine what you can do in the recording studio with some well-placed microphones!
I will see if I can attract some local friends who are excellent players to help me do some recordings with this guitar, so you can hear what it can do.

Meanwhile, I hope no one buys this one right away, because I want to participate and observe as this Zephyr continues to develop its voice. Heh heh.

This guitar specs out to $13,825, with the custom fitted Hoffee carbon fiber flight case included. Consider this the list price. I am certainly willing to consider reasonable offers.

I know that's a lot of money. If you get that feeling in your heart center that this guitar was made for you, I insist that you try it for several days, in your home, before you make that financial commitment. With the caveat that you are willing to pay the shipping charges, I will send this guitar to you, so you can give it a thorough test drive.

UPDATE, December 13, 2019: This amazing BRW Zephyr 00 is still available, safely biding its time in the case, sounding even more fluent and expressive. Closing out 2019, I am offering this guitar for $10,850, including the Hoffee carbon fiber flight case; or, for a lower price, I will send it out with a Guardian brand deluxe vintage style CG-044-00 case, for $9700

UPDATE, December 13, 2019. This amazing BRW Zephyr 00 is still available, and for a short time, I am offering it for $10,850 with the Hoffee carbon fiber flight case.

If you'd like to see more photos of the Zephyr 00, and two other guitars I have available, HERE is a link to my Flikr album, with dozens of photos to scroll through.

If you have questions or thoughts you'd like to share, you can contact me via PM here on the AGF, or email me at [email protected]

Thank you for looking, and best of Good Fortune to you!

-Steve, the Edwinson

Last edited by theEdwinson; 12-13-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

I just tested the link to the Flikr album featuring the Zephyr and two other available guitars, and it appears to be a broken link. Click HERE to see those photos.
Or try this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/163880...57679525279718
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2019, 08:26 AM

Hello folks.

I recently got to see this guitar in person at a recent guitar event held at my home. I remember a luthier who once told me that people go crazy when they see a little green in BRW, crazy good, not crazy bad. The areas of this Brazilian that look green on these pictures that Steve posted are green folks. That is not a weird lighting issue, those areas are a beautiful green like I have never seen before in ANY BRW.

There are smarter people than I, but if green makes one crazy happy, this guitar will make you crazy ecstatic!!!! Oh, and it sounds great too and the sliding ports are really cool!!!

An amazing guitar by any standard applied.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

As the proud owner of an Edwinson Zephyr spruce over Koa, let me promise you that Steve builds a breathtaking modern 00, and he really has dialed in the magic for evenness of tonal response and a blooming palate that us fingerstyle geeks go nuts for. This Zephyr looks incredible!

I have done Steve's no risk trial before a few years ago for a Falcon model, that led to my Zephyr order and a current build slot for a Falcon. He is a man of honor!
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

This is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever had the chance to play. Believe me when I say it is even more incredible in person. The level of craftsmanship on this guitar is unparalleled--the fretboard and headstock inlays, the rosette, the sliding soundport covers. It goes on and on...

And the sound it produces is the crowning jewel! This is an amazing guitar--someone needs to grab this one quick before it's gone!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-27-2019, 10:17 PM

Default Edwinson Brazilian

Call me 7046850745 I am interested - Mark Prater
Old 04-28-2019, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprater0117 View Post
Call me 7046850745 I am interested - Mark Prater
Mark, I'll call you today around noon- 1:00 PM. Thanks for inquiring!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:32 PM

I hope you sold this one one, Steve, to get temptation behind me! It's one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played, not to mention unbelievably beautiful. Those sliding sound-port covers really do make it a fascinating experience to play.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 PM

I'm not worthy.. I'm not worthy.. I'm not worthy..

Amazing work, Steve.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Still available, Stan. This is not a decision to be taken lightly. Fortunately, if you decide to give it a go, the limit of your risk is the shipping cost. You get a solid week to try it out and decide. And I am very willing to be flexible on the price. My main interest is in facilitating a perfect love-match between guitar and player.
And remember- what is yours will come to you!
Be well, and prosper, my friend!
Old 05-14-2019, 09:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Chistrummer, you are eminently worthy. Always be good to yourself, and make your life a celebration!
Old 06-25-2019, 02:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

This is a lifetime guitar, still available. And sounding better every day. I'm so glad I've been able to keep this one long enough to witness that special magic as a new guitar develops its voice and character. This one is really special. Reasonable offers will be carefully and gratefully considered!
Old 12-13-2019, 12:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

This amazing Zephyr 00 disappeared from the radar screen awhile back when I let this listing lapse, but I still have it. I think it's one of the top 3 or 4 guitars I've ever made, and I was in no hurry to let it go. But to close out 2019 on a high note (particularly for a potential owner of this guitar!), I am dropping the asking price "$3000, to $10,850 with the Hoffee case, or if you don't need such a high-end case, I will provide a Guardian brand deluxe vintage style CG-044-00 case, for $9700. The Guardian case is a very good fit for this guitar, and is perfectly adequate for normal use.

I have been keeping this guitar dormant in the case for awhile, keeping it absolutely pristine and new... I just took this Zephyr out of the case this morning to check it out. Still perfectly in tune (DADGAD), with a nice low, fast setup, and I was delighted to find that even without a lot of playing time, the tone and character of this guitar have still continued to improve. The overtones are really blooming, and it seems louder and richer across the spectrum than I recall from several months ago. It's amazing how that happens.

I am currently working on a new website, and with its debut, I will be raising my base prices on all Edwinson guitars for the first time since late 2011. This guitar will rise considerably in value with the new pricing structure, and represents a good investment.

Again, you will get plenty of time to audition this guitar in your home before you commit to spending the money, provided you are willing to pay the shipping charges. I'm confident that you will be entranced by this guitar's unique voice and vibe. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by theEdwinson; 12-13-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I feel extraordinarily lucky to have a Zephyr. I can only imagine how sublime this must sound. Prospective owners need not hesitate. You will be thrilled!

Circa - Claxton - Furch - Goodall - Hatcher - Kopp - Martin - McIlroy - McPherson - Merrill - Taylor
Old 12-13-2019, 05:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the testimonial, NewPicker! Much appreciated.

I think I'll post a few more pics of this guitar.

These photos don't really do justice to the spectacular Brazilian Rosewood. The figure looks three-dimensional, and when you take the guitar out in the sunlight, the colors are dazzling. There is a pronounced green in the color too- which I've heard is as rare as unicorns. You can see some of this color in the first batch of photos above.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace