The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Added some acrylic nails and acoustic treatment

Hi Folks,

Been a long time since I have posted here.

After years of intending to try them I got some acrylic nails put on and built five 2' x 4' broadband absorbers. They are 4 inches deep, filled with rockwool, and covered with speakercloth.

I should have been less lazy and done a strict before and after comparison, but here are some tracks if folks are interested. Mics are a pair of ADK A6 in a spaced pair, interface is Presonus Firestudio Mobile. Two panels were setup behind the mics in a V, the other three set in the corners of the room.

No nails or acoustic treatment, track EQ'd and levels raised - https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/bo...dk-a6-mic-test

Nails and panels, no other treatment to track - https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/re...-acrylic-nails

Nails and panels, some EQ, levels boosted, and reverb - https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/oc...welcome-cgdgcd

I am still trying to find my tone with these acrylics. I feel my recorded tone does not have much high end, and looks that way when I compare the freq analyzer to some of Doug Young's recordings.

If nothing else the acoustic treatment helped block out some computer noise. I feel they were well worth it.

Anton
Old 04-25-2014, 11:05 AM

I enjoyed that - nice playing! The final EQ/reverb is nice sounding. I wouldn't mind a bit more reverb myself.

I will say that I find it impossible to compare these so I just listened and enjoyed. Thumbs up
Old 04-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Thank you Scott.

Yea probably not great from a comparison standpoint, as they are not level matched or anything.

I thought I would throw them up and maybe inspire some folks to build a few acoustic panels. I found it a cheap investment to improve my sound.

Anton
Old 04-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Cleaner with the nails. More organic without nails. Both have pluses and minuses.

Either way has a bit of a muffled sound. I think you are mic'ing too close to the guitar and/or pointing a mike too near or at the soundhole. Increase the mike distances.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-25-2014, 02:12 PM

Bass traps (broadband absorbant panels) never hurt!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD