The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM

Default Rode Nt1-A,Nt2-A or Audio Tech.AT 4050

Have to make a decision now been wasting to much time because no one to help me. Want to record on my Tascam 2488 I sing loud and use just acoustics guitars. If just one mic this is my first condenser mic, which one. I like to get it right the first time.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:54 PM

I have the Rode NT1-A and absolutely love it. It has the lowest internal noise of any mic under $2K (and higher) and delivers a very clean and clear image of what is being recorded. It is extremely sensitive (it can pick up the sound of bubbles on your teeth), so a loud singer will have to stand back from it. It captures both the warmth and sparkle of my acoustics, and I sometime pair it a dynamic mic (EV N/D 767) for a nice wide stereo sound when recording. I would recommend it as an all-purpose over the NT-2. I have not worked with the Audio Tech, so I cannot give you an opinion on it.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 PM

I own an NT2 and an AT4050. The 4050 is by far a much better mic plus has multiple polar patterns.

I have not heard the NT2A so cannot comment but there aren't too many pros
who speak highly of Rode mics.

Jim McCarthy
Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Why Those Mic Choices, Donter? Let Your Voice/Ears Decide -In Advance!

Aloha Donter,

Questions:

- Why did you narrow down your choices to those three very disparate mics?

- Are you located near music stores where you could try your voice out on those mic's with the right preamp match for them?

- Have you considered renting all three of those mic's to try on your rig so you could make a more informed decision or make a better choice?

- Are you aware that vocal mic's are COMPLETELY voice specific & so it doesn't matter what others' opinions are?

- Did you know that the Audio Technica 4050 is a variable pattern condenser mic that is a great utility mic found in most studio's & favored by many engineers? It's not the greatest for any one specific task such as lead vocals, but it is very useful for so many studio applications.

It's true, Donter. The 4050 is so much better than ANY model of Rode mic for anything. But it still may not be the right vocal mic for you. It would however, provide more options for you miking voice & guitar as you get into recording.

And if you're thinking about the 4050, you should also probably look at the AKG 414-ULS or XLII, its closest competitor in the price range. Those are industry standards that could sound great on acoustic guitar or voice. There are plenty used ones around for all three of those mic's.

It's also true that you really need to let your voice & ears make the final decision on the vocal mic for them. Go to a store. Take a trip if they are far away. I go to the Mainland every year just to check out equipment because Hawaii's music stores suck!

RE: Rode mic's. I know they are popular mainly because they are cheap. But those two Rode mic models you list are more popular with entry level players than they are with pro engineers in most cases & with a few exceptions such as the NT4. There are good reasons for that, and you should research them in advance.

For recording acoustic guitars, I think you need to look at a pair of small diaphragm condenser mic's (like the Rode NT5's if you're really into Rode's) or other better ones like the Oktava MK-012's. There are so many to try out. But a pair of S/D's often will give you better stereo recording results on acoustic instruments, especially if you're starting out with X-Y or spaced pairs, close miking.

For a more cost effective alternative to the 4050, you should look at the large diaphragm condenser CAD M179, which provides variable patterns & could be used on vocals or guitar - around $150 new.

Again, go try some mic's out before you buy anything. Your voice could surprise you with its choice, & you may find that a pair of MXL SP's ($84 each) could be the bomb for your acoustic recordings. Let your ears decide.

Try as many out as you can in advance. I mean, if you really want to "get it right."

Check out the mic shootouts at Gearslutz. Work your way through these samples at the Listening Sessions:

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/sessions.htm

Finally, buy used! Check out Craigs, Ebay & Gearslutz as a start.

And then there's your signal chain? Room Treatment? Etc.? .........So you can maximize your mic's & sound in a given space?

Good Luck, Donter!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 11-16-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I own an NT2 and an AT4050. The 4050 is by far a much better mic plus has multiple polar patterns.

I have not heard the NT2A so cannot comment but there aren't too many pros
who speak highly of Rode mics.

Jim McCarthy
The NT2A does have multi polar patterns and is a great mic.
Many pros do speak highly of Rode mics. Their Classic and Classic2 valve mics are exceptional at any price.

Anyone can quite easily get a really bad sound out of a great mic without really trying.
The opposite is also true.
It's all about your environment and where you place the artist and the mic in that space.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:46 AM

No one to help you? Be careful what you ask for.

It's about how any mic combines with the preamp you're using as well.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 11-17-2010, 01:53 PM

Wow alohachris a lot of food to digest thanks for spending so much time replying. Just picked Rode because of what people have said about them they like them. You sound like a pro who is picky about what he uses. I must say I am also when I purchase my acoustics guitars. But I allowed to spend time with them alone, hasn't been the case when trying out mics, just have to make time my problem. I was told recording is a money pit I believe it now. Wouldn't bother me to spend the money if I could fly with it.Guess I also need a decent preamp. Thanks for the help everybody.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:36 PM

I have nothing to add - I just want to say "excellent advice" to alohachris.

I own both the CAD M179 (I have mic demos on guitar up on this forum) and the Oktava MK-012 (I have recorded A LOT with this one).

All I can say is that I'd REALLY like a second one of both mics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD