The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-15-2010, 08:23 AM

Default Zoom Q3HD - early release?

So I was under the impression that Zoom's new Q3HD was originally projected to be released on 11/30/10, but was later delayed to late December.

However, I was browsing around on Sweetwater this morning and they have changed their Q3HD "stock status" from "pre-order, coming in soon" (paraphrased) to "Hot off the presses, our very first shipments of the new Q3HD handy HD video recorder will be arriving in our warehouse this week."

Does this mean that Samson is releasing the Q3HD much earlier than projected or is Sweetwater trying to do some bait and switch tactics?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:42 PM

Sweetwater doesn't do bait and switch ... they are a class act, one of the best. Maybe they know something you don't?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 PM

Well, I just ordered one on-line, but they left me a voicemail saying that the pre-orders are big enough that I would have to wait until the Dec 22 shipment. So I think this early release is already spoken for. I'm going to cancel my order and try to find it early somewhere else.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 PM

it seems strange it's the same price as the h4n but it also does video. i guess that's because the h4n can do some processing?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewoodtree View Post
it seems strange it's the same price as the h4n but it also does video. i guess that's because the h4n can do some processing?
The H4n is a four channel recorder with overdub capability. It has a second complete audio subsystem with P48 phantom on balanced XLRs. It also has effects, an internal mixer, and so on.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-16-2010, 05:53 AM

I ordered from Sweetwater and received a call from them just to let me know that it was "not is stock" but should start coming in "soon". My dealings with Sweetwater have been nothing but fantastic.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 11-16-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The H4n is a four channel recorder with overdub capability. It has a second complete audio subsystem with P48 phantom on balanced XLRs. It also has effects, an internal mixer, and so on.

Fran
thanks for that information!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:15 PM

I got an in-stock notice from B&H Photo last week, hopped on it and should receive it out here in Calif. tomorrow. I'm such a Zoom-slut, I have the H2 for band practice (4-mics, no waiting), H4n for high-value recordings, an H1 for atop my DSLR and now the Q3HD which will be for "video snapshots."

Every one of them is cosmic. They put up with heavy use, deliver beautiful sound. I couldn't be happier as a customer.

/john

p.s.: Have done business with Sweetwater and was happy. B&H just got their first shipment in ahead of Sweetwater, that's all.....
Old 11-18-2010, 06:24 PM

Mine shipped today from Same Day Music. Wife won't let me have it until Christmas though. Sheesh, I'm 54 years old! Maybe she wouldn't treat me like a child if I didn't act like one?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:14 PM

Inspired by Tom, I surfed around and found them in stock at Adorama and BSW. I got shipment confirmation from BSW today.

I don't have to wait until Christmas to open mine. Not that I'm being mean or anything <grin>.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 PM

LOL Fran. You're my hero! A man who puts his foot down and GETS his new recorder. Well, gotta go. I don't want to miss my weekly assertiveness class.

Seriously, you really set the standard for video. Can't wait to see the results you get with the new "toy".
Old 11-24-2010, 12:25 PM

Thank you Fran! I put an order in with BSW photo - tracking # shows that it should be here on Friday. I'm going to cancel my spot on the wait list at Sweetwater.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:04 PM

FYI this place has them in stock ready to ship...Enjoy !!
http://www.georgesmusiconline.com/pr...er-100854.html
Old 11-26-2010, 09:06 PM

Default Zoom Q3HD sample up

So my Zoom Q3HD came in today and I just spent the past couple of hours playing around with it. Here is a sample video that I shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waV4YbhuzGY

Notes:
- I recorded using the highest video resolution setting - 1080x30.
- for audio, I used aac with the sample rate 48kHz and bitrate 320 kbps
- I set the mic gain to high
- The recorder was set on top of my wooden coffee table on a tripod, about 3 feet away in my living room.
- I trimmed the video using the trimming tool that is built right into the recorder. It was fairly easy to use.
- That brings me to my first significant chunk of information. The included Handyshare software (on the PC) introduced some timing problems in the audio/video sync. The audio got just slightly ahead of the video. So I couldn't use the software to do the trimming or uploading. I haven't taken the time to dig deep into this problem yet.
- The Handyshare software also has some basic mastering settings which seemed to bring up the levels and make it sound even better, but since the audio and video were out of sync, I couldn't use it. Instead I just copied the .mov file to my computer and uploaded it from there without any other processing.
- the attached USB jack is nice the way it tucks away and is permanently attached, but it also means you have to unscrew the recorder from the tripod everytime you want to upload something.
- I have absolutely zero experience recording or youtubing, so I won't be able to answer any questions that aren't covered in the above points.

It was also an interesting experience recording for the first time. I chose a song that is relatively easy and straightforward, yet it still took me something like 15 takes to get a good one (and there are still flubs!). I just couldn't get in the pocket tempowise, and even the easier parts could send my fingers flying all over the place in ways they had never done before (in a bad way). I have even more respect and admiration now for those of you who consistently put up high quality playing in the show and tell section!
Old 11-26-2010, 09:17 PM

The video is nice and the audio too but the playing is smooth and great to watch! Nice playing, St Stephen!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD