The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you do with your original parts after an upgrade???
I sell my original parts to help offset the upgrade costs... 4 7.55%
I generally keep the original parts to include with the guitar should I ever sell... 49 92.45%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2019, 06:46 AM

Default Do you sell stock/original parts during upgrades?

I'm currently upgrading my Taylor GPs saddles to bone and tuners to different finishes. I'm just curious what you guys do with your original parts after you confirm you are happy with the upgrade? Do you sell and offset a portion of the upgrade, or do you keep and have it to include with the guitar if you ever decided to sell it?
Old 07-16-2019, 07:54 AM

Unless it is vintage I'll try and flog tuners, less to offset costs than to keep from having a box of old parts rattling around. If the instrument is vintage I'll keep the original parts.

Selling an old saddle? Good luck with that one.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

I'm a hoarder I keep everything.
Anyb0dy want a dozen UST, a box full of saddles and nuts, a LARGE box full of picks, some antique capos, and and a LARGER box of old strings - which I'd really like to pass on to someone that could make use of them.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Same logic as Mycroft here. Why keep a drawer full of tuners?

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-16-2019, 08:06 AM

I changed the tuning buttons on my J45, kept the originals.
The ones I used are the Tortoise look and I like them w-a-a-y better.
I also have swapped out a saddle and some bridge pins. I kept everything.
I doubt if I'll ever need to sell it which is the only reason I would.
It's got my grandsons name on it when I depart this earth.
If he wants to restore it to original, he will be able to.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm a hoarder I keep everything.
Anyb0dy want a dozen UST, a box full of saddles and nuts, a LARGE box full of picks, some antique capos, and and a LARGER box of old strings - which I'd really like to pass on to someone that could make use of them.
Same here. Anything I swap out, be it tuners, saddles, nuts, etc., I hold onto. Exception being old strings which I generally throw in the recycling bin - although I've seen them used for jewelry so I may have to explore that option. I've used old tuners in a pinch when needing to swap just one out. This way I've always got some parts to work on a project guitar.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Tuners and stock pickups I’ll sell to offset cost plus don’t need them lying around. Nuts, saddles and bridge pins I just keep as not worth moving on/no value in them

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 07-16-2019, 08:55 AM

I didn't vote/choose an option because I tend to sell the electronics I take out of guitars and keep most everything else. I'm not sure that I will ever have a use for the cheap old tuners or slotted, plastic bridge pins but I've got plenty of room and the boxes of parts don't take up much room.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:04 AM

It's always a good idea to keep the stock stuff. Taylor replacement one saddles can be purchased for $15. So what's the point of the effort of selling the original micarta saddles? If you go to sell it, perhaps the buyer will want the original saddles.

I used to mod Stratocasters and always kept the original parts. It seems that I was able to sell the Strats with the original parts and sold off the upgraded parts separately, actually making a few $$ more than had I left the Strats modded.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-16-2019, 09:27 AM

I always keep the original stuff, so I can always go back to stock. Sometimes I find that I want to go back to stock after a little while, but of course any mod that isn't easily reversible (without additional expense) devalues the guitar and I don't want to do that even if I intend for now to keep it forever. The buyer almost never wants your mods, they want a stock instrument that they can mod to their choice, if they desire.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:32 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

I always keep the originals so a new buyer can have the option to go back to standard. I have no idea why anyone would want to downgrade the upgrades...but you never know what’ll be in a potential buyers head.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I learned, the HARD WAY, to keep track of the original equipment parts of guitars I'm upgrading... trust me, somewhere, sometime, far down the road, you are gonna wish you had saved them!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-16-2019, 01:48 PM

For me, the value of a stock(untouched) top end electric guitar, (Gibson, Fender, etc) is greater than a modified one. In fact, I generally don't consider advertisement for a modified instrument that's for sale.

So yes, I keep the original parts, and I won't change anything that requires cutting wood.

Mind you, I still have almost every guitar that I've bought over the years...
Old 07-16-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I always keep the originals so a new buyer can have the option to go back to standard. I have no idea why anyone would want to downgrade the upgrades...but you never know what’ll be in a potential buyers head.
Not every mod turns out to be an upgrade... There's a lot of hype in the replacement pickup/tuner market.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:28 PM

I've changed saddles, bridge pins, and nuts in many of my acoustic guitars, always keeping the originals. I don't think the cash derived from selling plastic bridge pins or saddles worth the effort . . . and you never know. I've upgraded pick ups in several electric guitars with DiMarzios and SDs, but I have the original pickups because again I'm not sure the cash derived from stock Ibanez, Squier, or Epiphone pickups is worth the effort. My 40th Anniversary Am. Std. Strat and (120th Anniversary) Gibson LPs are stock.

Old/used strings get tossed, although my cheese cutter has an electric B string that has worked for over two decades.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion