The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 04:40 PM

Default Attitude and self critiquing:

Saturday night I played and recorded one of my originals several times, and swore I'd have to give up singing. I felt like selling all my equipment and giving up on my retirement dream of playing small venues for a little extra money. Yesterday morning I picked up my guitar and put the capo on the 5th fret, and remembered that is where I sing this song the best. Saturday; no capo and sinuses were acting up a little. Sunday; Capo on the 5th fret and less sinus issues. My newest song sounds good and will be even better when I've played it 100 times. Crazy how a day or two, a capo and my attitude can make things seem good again.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:48 PM

Happens to most of us.

"The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow."

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-15-2019, 04:52 PM

I know that process all to well. Though the lows can be so disheartening.

It is when we are firing on all eight cylinder as they say, there is a feeling of internal magic and this is what make us continue.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:01 PM
Musical minimalist

My voice is about 60% this time of year......know the feeling!

Old 07-15-2019, 05:02 PM

There's a lady who never announces her arrival, nor departure, but all her visits are celebrations of music. Lady Inspiration is her name and patience is the only invitation she'll honor.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Sorry, I'm not trying to come across rudely, so please take this as a genuine question.

The difference between playing/singing on the first or the fifth fret is huge(for me at least!), and I'm wondering how that would not have stood out to you as being the issue on the Saturday?

Sure, I understand it may have been some time since you last played the song, and everyone's mind works differently, just seems like a glaring oversight.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 07-16-2019, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Nice job not trying to come across rudely.....
Old 07-16-2019, 06:36 AM

No question confidence helps produce better music. But some days the sinuses do what they do and you soldier on the best you can. If it was all easy we'd probably be bored.

I love those days when it all comes together and the magic happens.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-16-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Sorry, I'm not trying to come across rudely, so please take this as a genuine question.

The difference between playing/singing on the first or the fifth fret is huge(for me at least!), and I'm wondering how that would not have stood out to you as being the issue on the Saturday?

Sure, I understand it may have been some time since you last played the song, and everyone's mind works differently, just seems like a glaring oversight.
1) Saturday was 14 hrs straight at work, no breaks. 2) New piece I'm Still working on. 3) I always move the capo around on most songs I write to find my sweet spot and to stretch my vocal range, Knowing that it wont all sound good. 4) Sometimes I forget where I left off last time. 5) I have 3 new songs I'm working on. 6) Yes, it was a glaring oversight, and thank you for the feedback. Not rude at all and I appreciate that you care enough to respond as with everyone else.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion