The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 AM

Default Lattanze 2019

It’s easy to ramble when posting on forums so I’ll try and keep this concise. The little guy will be two in August which means I can count on one hand how many threads I’ve started since then. He keeps me busy.

I displayed at the Artisan guitar show back in April which marked my first show with my own booth. In shows past, I piggybacked on my mentor Bill Comins in his booth. The show was great and I even took a few orders as a result.

One of the orders came from a friend of mine who was at the show and asked me to take him around the show to play some of my favorite luthiers work. Some of them are regularly seen on here. Most notably is Bruce Sexauer who was gracious enough to entertain our questions and have a chat with us. I’ve been a fan of his work ever since Bob Berger came to Bill and I’s shop to show us his maple flat top/arch back guitar and then later with his Brazilian 0-C, two guitars that are surely some of the finest I’ve ever played.

As my friend and I talked about building him a guitar we both were excited about a guitar inspired by Bruce’s work. I’ve never built a guitar “in the air” or without molds but Bruce’s “living guitar” philosophy intrigued me so I agreed to give it a shot!

My friend, Scott is his name, wanted 14 frets to the joint using my 00 shape. We talked about using a QS set of Jatoba that I had in the shop which seemed right down the Sexauer alley but this waterfall Sapele kept calling out to Scott... As I type, I’ve hot hide glued tentelones or “peones” as Bruce calls them to one side of the instrument. Not a bad result, room for improvement moving forward. It takes much much longer than the kerfing method but at least you get to repeat “tentelones” in your worst Spanish accent as you work.

IMG_0612.jpg
IMG_0561.jpg
IMG_0793.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg
IMG_0620.jpg
IMG_0794.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg

Last edited by AnthonyLattanze; 06-12-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:56 AM

Some renderings of the guitar with more homage to Bruce in the headstock. The rendering features cocobolo but we're using bloodwood in its place.

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 12.54.47 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 12.53.55 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 12.55.03 PM.jpg
Old 06-12-2019, 04:08 PM

That is really cool and there is something very appealing to how Bruce builds with no molds. He has a freedom there for each guitar to be an individual beyond just the appointments. I would think once one gets use to that, would actually seem easier to me.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 06-12-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Glad you are doing this build thread on the 14 fret 00. What's the scale length going to be and what are the box dimensions on your 00 shape?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-12-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Really nice work, Anthony. I remember how impressed I was with the guitar you brought to Woodstock a couple of years ago. It sounded like your hundredth rather than a single digit....Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 06-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Smile This will be fun

I am fan of Bruce Sexauer and will enjoy this thread!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That is really cool and there is something very appealing to how Bruce builds with no molds. He has a freedom there for each guitar to be an individual beyond just the appointments. I would think once one gets use to that, would actually seem easier to me.

Time will tell! I'm sure a few decades of honing his skill ables him to move quickly. A little more patience on my part is needed to make the tentelone glue up cleaner. I should get the other side bent and hopefully glued up over the weekend.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:37 AM

Default Lattanze 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Glad you are doing this build thread on the 14 fret 00. What's the scale length going to be and what are the box dimensions on your 00 shape?

The scale length is 24.9". The size of the box might be more of a Gibson L-00 than Martin. It's hard for me to keep all of those sizes in order with all of the changes Martin does.

Lower bout - 14.3"
Waist - 8.5"
Upper bout - 10.1"
Length of box - 19.2"
Sound hole 3.75"

Last edited by AnthonyLattanze; 06-13-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Really nice work, Anthony. I remember how impressed I was with the guitar you brought to Woodstock a couple of years ago. It sounded like your hundredth rather than a single digit....Robert

Thank you! I learned a lot with that guitar and it still sounds great. Though, I might re-top it one day. My first guitar I really pushed it on the thin side and it's already showing some deformity. I'm building another one of that shape next on the docket for a soldier in Afghanistan. Here's the back. IMG_0679.jpg
Old 06-13-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I am fan of Bruce Sexauer and will enjoy this thread!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Paul

He's the man! If I could build flat tops like him and archtops like Bill Comins...[emoji848]
Old 06-14-2019, 08:59 AM

Very cool!
Old 06-17-2019, 09:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've been at a Bluegrass Festival for most of the last week. How pleasant to return and discover this thread! I am more than happy to answer any pertinent questions, Anthony.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I've been at a Bluegrass Festival for most of the last week. How pleasant to return and discover this thread! I am more than happy to answer any pertinent questions, Anthony.

Thanks Bruce! Your presence on these forums over the years has left a lot of information to sift through so thank you for that as well. I’ve had loads of questions that I found (or at least think I’ve found) answers to in your threads. I still have lots of questions about your voicing process but my gut tells me the answers lie in your intuition and probably not well answered in text. Here’s a question, what’s in your secret sauce?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

I do have a secret sauce! It puts my DNA in every guitar I make, literally. And, as you would guess, it is something unique to myself that I can tel you about but you cannot duplicate EVER. You, however, also have your own secret sauce and it will probably work just as well as mine. When my daughter Laurelyn built her guitar in my shop last summer she refused to use her own secret sauce, preferring to use a synthetic sauce she mixed up using water and dish soap as wetsanding lubricant instead. The Italian violin supply houses will actually sell secret sauce BUT it is somebody else’s DNA, and you have to draw the line somewhere. I do recommend you use your own saliva when wet sanding your finish.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:49 PM

I do plan on trying an oil varnish without filling the pores. The obvious dilemma I face is my DNA has all of those Mediterranean oils in it already.

Last edited by AnthonyLattanze; 06-18-2019 at 02:15 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop