The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-18-2019, 01:25 AM

Default Switching from 10s- go with 9-42 or 9-46s?

Getting older and string bending is harder on my hands than it once was, and want to experiment with something lighter than my standard 10-46 sets on my LP. Trying to decide if I should go with 9-42 (super light) or a 9-46 (custom light) set. I tend do near all my bends on the 3 high strings and I play mostly southern rock and classic rock on it, some country and jazz. Any thoughts?
Old 05-18-2019, 02:57 AM

D'Addario 9.5-44
Old 05-18-2019, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

I play 10-46 on my electrics because I love the feel, but both BB King and Billy Gibbons play(ed) 8s and they have/had some of the meatiest, fattest tone of anyone. Gibbons said he used to play considerably fatter strings until he played with BB once and saw BB playing a set of 8s and still getting that fat BB vibrato and perfect BB bends. And BB said to him something along the lines of ‘son, you’re working too hard’, so he tried a set of 8s and loved them and has played them since.

So, evidently, the string gauge doesn’t have a whole lot to do with the sound you’re getting, so play whatever your hands can play best... I still love the feel of 10s, but I played 9s when I was a kid and I’m fully prepared to go skinny again if my hands tell me to at some point...

-Ray
Old 05-18-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
Getting older and string bending is harder on my hands than it once was, and want to experiment with something lighter than my standard 10-46 sets on my LP. Trying to decide if I should go with 9-42 (super light) or a 9-46 (custom light) set. I tend do near all my bends on the 3 high strings and I play mostly southern rock and classic rock on it, some country and jazz. Any thoughts?
Tuning down a half-step gets you there too.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:32 AM

Try 9-42 to see if you like it. I have a couple of Les Pauls setup with 10s and a couple others with 9s. 9s definitely easier for me to solo on.

After trying 9-42 then try the 9-46.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:37 AM

I also like 9.5-44 strings as an alternative to 10-46 sets. The higher strings bend easier without a big loss in tone. Now a hybrid set like a 9.5-46 would be nice...
Old 05-18-2019, 06:53 PM

I've got 10's on my Telecaster but I've left 9's on my Stratocaster and switching between each is seamless. (Mind you, nothing lighter or heavier for me).
Old 05-18-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Try 9-42 to see if you like it. I have a couple of Les Pauls setup with 10s and a couple others with 9s. 9s definitely easier for me to solo on.

After trying 9-42 then try the 9-46.
I'm going to go with your suggestion. I can always keep my lower three 10-46 strings and try those if I want to see what 9-46 is like.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I play 10-46 on my electrics because I love the feel, but both BB King and Billy Gibbons play(ed) 8s and they have/had some of the meatiest, fattest tone of anyone. Gibbons said he used to play considerably fatter strings until he played with BB once and saw BB playing a set of 8s and still getting that fat BB vibrato and perfect BB bends. And BB said to him something along the lines of ‘son, you’re working too hard’, so he tried a set of 8s and loved them and has played them since.

So, evidently, the string gauge doesn’t have a whole lot to do with the sound you’re getting, so play whatever your hands can play best... I still love the feel of 10s, but I played 9s when I was a kid and I’m fully prepared to go skinny again if my hands tell me to at some point...

-Ray
I've tried 8's and it felt like my guitar was strung with piano wire.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I've tried 8's and it felt like my guitar was strung with piano wire.
Anything thinner than 10s FEELS wrong to me at this point - I get that. I’m just responding to the OP that if they feel the need for lighter strings for whatever reason, there shouldn’t be any problem still getting good tone if players like BB and Billy Gibbons get the sounds they got / get with 8s... I’m not planning to use them and hope I never feel the need to, but it’s kind of comforting to know it’s possible should the need arise...
Old 05-19-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Anything thinner than 10s FEELS wrong to me at this point - I get that. I’m just responding to the OP that if they feel the need for lighter strings for whatever reason, there shouldn’t be any problem still getting good tone if players like BB and Billy Gibbons get the sounds they got / get with 8s... I’m not planning to use them and hope I never feel the need to, but it’s kind of comforting to know it’s possible should the need arise...
Yeah I know ….. was more about how it felt for me playing 8's upon saying Billy Gibbons and others were able to successfully do so.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
I'm going to go with your suggestion. I can always keep my lower three 10-46 strings and try those if I want to see what 9-46 is like.
Let us know how you like it. I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. I've read they bend a little easier than some other manufacturers but I don't know if that's accurate or not. Perhaps others here know.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:28 AM

I keep 10's on my Epiphone Dot for jazz/blues tone. I use the D'addario 9'-42 on the tele for steel guitar bends on country tunes..same on the strat for rock bends.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:41 AM

Seriously, I would definitely also try 9.5 to 44s, any decent store should stock them.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:02 AM

I recently tried the SIT, Stay In Tune Strings on my Telecaster.

https://sitstrings.com/products/elec...lectric/s9.544

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars