The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-27-2019, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

As others have commented, I'm sure if a person filtered out a bunch of bass from the recorded sound of any 12-fret guitar, a competent engineer could get a good sound.

I have gotten rather spoiled with being able to record my 14-fret acoustic guitars without removing any bass at all, and in fact, leaving the EQ flat. Obviously, recording a 12-fret guitar, particularly the one I have (essentially a Taylor 812CE 12-fret), is going to involve a fair amount of EQ.

I have recorded my Martin 000-28VS a lot and it's a 12-fret guitar, but it has a very different sound from the Taylor 12-Fret. I can record the Martin 000-28VS leaving EQ flat and it sounds wonderful. Here's an example:

Regarding the use of a 12-fret guitar in a band setting, I personally don't think this is a good choice unless heavy EQ is going to be used. I think the predominant lower frequencies of a 12-fret guitar are going to get in the way of the bass and other low frequency instruments unless heavy equalization is applied. To me, it's just an added hassle when 14-fret designs solve much of this problem.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 03-27-2019 at 11:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD