The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-05-2014, 01:15 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent
Default Shure 55SW

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I bought a sorry looking Shure 55SW from a chap at a vintage market. Once I purloined an Amphenol MC3M to XLR adapter I found that the mic did, indeed, work just fine. But it's in a state. Filthy, foams rotted away and the internal shock mounts have perished and disappeared. So, given that the mic records, I think I'm going to restore this little puppy and I'm trying to research some info on it. It's surprisingly hard to find good information on these mics. I know the smaller 'S' mic was introduced in 1951 and the SW came out in 1961. I know it has to be sometime between 1961 and 'the late 1970s' when, it seems, the 'H/M/L' impedance switch was removed.

Anyone have any ideas or information? This is what I can say about it:

1) It has the original 'cartridge' rather than the SM58 cartridge that they started putting in the late 1980s
2) It has the H/M/L impedance switch
3) It has the original Amphenol three pin connector rather than XLR

And this is how she looks at the moment:

Of course it doesn't matter what year it was made... but I'm curious and I like to flesh these things out.

Thanks

M

Last edited by DesolationAngel; 05-05-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Found the date of launch for the 'SW'
Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Bumping this... just in case someone knows how to date 55s.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:12 PM

I have one of those old ones! I replaced the foam myself, which was pretty easy. As far as the sound, it is okay. It works. Nothing really great, just great looking. I cleaned mine up with fine steel wool. Sorry I don't have any other info for you about it.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 PM

Thanks for chiming in, Rick. Yeah, they're really great looking and I think I can get this one looking really nice with a bit of effort.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 PM

I'm supposing you found this reference: http://www.coutant.org/shure55/index.html

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I feel certain Shure Brothers would be glad to help you source the foam and find the info you need. I wouldn't be surprised if they also offered some restorations services for a classic like this. Their service number is (800) 516-2525.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD