The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 PM

Default Would this work? (Tascam DP-008EX)

Can I use the Tascam DP-008EX to record from a mixer board directly into the unit to record a show?

My goal is to record a 1 hour concert from the mixer board.

http://tascam.com/product/dp-008ex/
Old 04-30-2014, 08:20 AM

Yes, you will probably need to adapt from the mixing board's outputs to either the balanced XLR inputs or unbalanced 1/4" inputs of the Tascam. If the mixing board is just doing mono output then you can use one cable/adapter.
A quick look thorugh the Tascam manual did not show how much recording time you get form various size SD memory cards, nor if there is any maximum time limit per track, either.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexfordbridge View Post
…My goal is to record a 1 hour concert from the mixer board.
Hi Rex-f-b…

Beyond the connection to the board are several questions you may want answers to so you can determine if this is the recorder you want/need.
  • What is the largest SD/SDHC card the unit will recognize? How many GB?
  • Does it require SDHC (high capacity) cards to record and store quickly enough - not just a bigger SD card. These days, SDHC Class 10 (fastest) are easily affordable…as long as the unit accepts them.
  • How much memory does it take to record a single track for an entire hour?
  • How many tracks are you planning on recording simultaneously? How many tracks can/will it record at once?
  • Does it record at different resolutions? Does it record in different formats? If not, what format at what resolution does it record?
  • Since they offer inter-connection to PC and Macintosh computers I'm guessing it's a very flexible machine.

Hope this helps…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 AM

I've been using the Tascam DR-07 Mkii for a few years now.

It's a live recorder, not a multitrack one like the DP you mentioned. Do you need a multitrack or are you just capturing mono or stereo at a show?

I've had my DR-07 on a stand (camera tripod), back of the room and recorded mini folk festival stuff and also a function band I work with. Good results using the built in mics. I set the audio to the highest mp3 quality it would allow - the batteries last a long time and the 2GB card got the lot.

It will also take a line from the desk. I liked using the built in mics to get a bit of crowd noise as well at the actual sound out front - including the instruments that were using combo amps on stage for projection as well as a little bit of PA and percussion. You might be surprised what you hear if you just record the PA feed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD