The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-21-2018, 07:26 AM

Default 1930s/40s Harmony Mandolin

We've found a 30s/40s Harmony Mandolin on the in-laws farms that was my wife's grandfather's. Strings have to be 50 years old, humidity crack on the surface that will Ned to be cleated, but otherwise, she plays and has a bright, powerful sound. Top is solid, I think spruce. Three of my four kids are exceptional violia/violin players, and can already find their individual ways around the instrument,my youngest, 10, wants to master the mandolin. All "good news", but my questions are these; what value do these old Harmony mandolins have, in terms of fixing it up, or should I find a more contemporary student model for my daughter's "launch" into the wonderful world of "mandolin"? Thanks.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-21-2018, 01:13 PM

You might try just re-humidifying the mandolin. If the crack is stable & not too unsightly ("mojo" ) maybe just leave it. Here's a bunch of mandolin guys talking about possible scenarios for repairing cracks:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...p/t-19048.html

If you were to offer the mandolin for sale it would maybe draw bids in the $100-250 (US) range. Least expensive decent beginner mandolin I know of would be the Ibanez M-510, round about $150 (US) (it will need a professional setup when it arrives, and it does not come with a case, so figure those into the total cost).

On the other hand, the family heritage element with the Harmony is, as they say, "priceless". If the crack can be taken care of (or ignored), and if it plays well, I'd say stick with that for a while.

Re the emphasized part above: mandolins can be tough on a beginner's fingertips at the best of times; make sure the Harmony's action is not discouragingly high. Also, make sure the intonation is OK, it's really discouraging to be doing everything right and still not have the notes be quite in tune. (Those are things you'd have to check with a new beginner mandolin also).
Old 05-21-2018, 02:27 PM

My first mandolin was a Harmony, and I still have it. Its about the most valuable Harmony, their "batwing" faux F-style, and it still wouldn't sell for more than a few hundred dollars.

They can be made to play well enough and they sound pretty good until you play it next to a really good instrument. They just can't achieve the clarity and cutting tone of better instruments. But, they were good enough for Led Zeppelin and Yank Rachell.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
You might try just re-humidifying the mandolin. If the crack is stable & not too unsightly ("mojo" ) maybe just leave it. Here's a bunch of mandolin guys talking about possible scenarios for repairing cracks:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...p/t-19048.html

If you were to offer the mandolin for sale it would maybe draw bids in the $100-250 (US) range. Least expensive decent beginner mandolin I know of would be the Ibanez M-510, round about $150 (US) (it will need a professional setup when it arrives, and it does not come with a case, so figure those into the total cost).

On the other hand, the family heritage element with the Harmony is, as they say, "priceless". If the crack can be taken care of (or ignored), and if it plays well, I'd say stick with that for a while.

Re the emphasized part above: mandolins can be tough on a beginner's fingertips at the best of times; make sure the Harmony's action is not discouragingly high. Also, make sure the intonation is OK, it's really discouraging to be doing everything right and still not have the notes be quite in tune. (Those are things you'd have to check with a new beginner mandolin also).
My 10 year old's tuning her up now. She doesn't think the action/strings are too bad. I've closed humidity cracks before w/an Oasis humidifier, time and patience. This will get the same treatment, new strings and a proper set up and we'll have her back to life. She'd been hanging on the wall at the farm for decades - amazing she didn't just fall apart!

Thanks, one and all.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments