The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 12:53 PM

I wouldn't disagree with the original post, fortunate I don't have to choose . That said, certain guitars make the song or genre come alive. My old Gibson LG2 drives me down a vintage blues road that makes those tunes beg to be played. If I was a bluegrass player, I'd find it lacking. At some point the tool comes into the equation.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 05-21-2018, 01:25 PM

i agree with the only change being that since i write my own songs, then i do own them already. so, now do i need another guitar? ha!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-21-2018, 01:33 PM

I question the “owning” of a song based on my lack of understanding what the OP considers owning.

I only play and sing songs I’ve written, and only play songs my friends have written. Of my songs I’m not sure I even “own” them. They’re mine, but they haven’t been mastered or played the best they should be played, I’m only working toward that with repetition. I’ve been playing some of them as long as I’ve played guitar, over 40 years.

So I doubt one will “own” any song penned by another, given the vast amount of time “ownership” actually takes.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-21-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Like most guitarists, there are a lot of guitars out there that I would love to own. However, there are also a lot of songs out there that I would also love to own ("own" in the sense that I could totally master them and wring every drop of musical quality out of them).

Given the choice, I would rather own the songs. The guitars are easier to acquire, but the songs are ultimately what make the journey memorable.
I don't see this as a "versus" that makes sense. You own the guitar AND learn the songs as best you can. If owning multiple guitars distracts you from focusing on playing, then, maybe, you shouldn't own too many guitars. For me, personally, different guitars inspires me to learn and compose more songs.

But if your point is simply that playing and improving is more important than buying a bunch of guitars, I think everyone would agree.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:43 PM

Im not trying to flatter you -but actually being a great player is more important than owning a great guitar -I think you have it in a nut shell -
many of the folks here spend alot of money on their guitars but really are not masters of them.
Practice, practice , practice -and make it yours - Your one smart person !!!!
Old 05-23-2018, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
Im not trying to flatter you -but actually being a great player is more important than owning a great guitar -I think you have it in a nut shell -
many of the folks here spend alot of money on their guitars but really are not masters of them.
And it has been said that no one can “master” the guitar. Think about that.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

I find that the amount of guitars I own has nothing to do with the amount of songs I can write or learn. But maybe I'm weirdly not attracted to false choices and bathtub philosophy.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
And are you a master of yours? No offense intended but I highly doubt it.

How much money one spends shouldn’t concern any outside of his immediate family. It also isn’t related to mastery of the instrument or lack thereof.

His point was “owning” a song. One can own a great guitar and feel that they can “own” a song. Perception is reality and one can have both, either, or neither and it’s their opinion that matters.

Knocking people with fine instruments and linking it too poor playing (“not masters of them”) seems very familiar and never goes down well with me.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-23-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Like most guitarists, there are a lot of guitars out there that I would love to own. However, there are also a lot of songs out there that I would also love to own ("own" in the sense that I could totally master them and wring every drop of musical quality out of them).

Given the choice, I would rather own the songs. The guitars are easier to acquire, but the songs are ultimately what make the journey memorable.

I think what he means to say is - keep your gratitude greater than your expectations and to live in the moment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion