The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-20-2018, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

What is the ns neck profile like on a Rainsong? I'm used to various shaped necks, I like the v-shaped and also the new Martin "low profile performing artist taper" that they're putting on their guitars. I can't seem to see any info on what the "ns" necks are like on the Rainsongs.
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 05-20-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Might be their best sounding guitar. The CH-WS is capable of similar volume and bass and is more comfortable to hold.
I agree with Jon. I think the dread you are looking at is their best sounding model. It's modestly priced too. I have my eye one.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieE View Post
What is the ns neck profile like on a Rainsong? I'm used to various shaped necks, I like the v-shaped and also the new Martin "low profile performing artist taper" that they're putting on their guitars. I can't seem to see any info on what the "ns" necks are like on the Rainsongs.
If you have played any RainSong with the N2 neck, you have pretty much experienced the NS (12-fret) neck. I prefer a Taylor-type neck - the RainSong NS is thicker than that, but not uncomfortably so. RainSong also uses a "flatter" 20" radius on the fretboard, making what I would describe as a D-shape neck (everyone has their own description).

My personal take on the Martin "low profile Performing Artist taper" is that they are making a more Taylor-like profile. Think: a bit thicker than that, but not much. For the record, I have never taken a caliper tool to any guitar neck - I just go by "the feel."

Congrats on your new incoming RainSong!
Old 05-21-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieE View Post
The RainSong 14-fret neck with a truss rod ("New" compared to the original without a truss rod) is a C-shape a bit on the large size. I suspect they got feedback on the size and the (even newer) 12-fret neck is slimmer, still C-shaped, and (I think) just right.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber