The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-17-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
A classic country band! That sounds like a gas. In my mind the posibilities are endless and fun. Give me a tele and a deluxe and kick me off stage when you can't stand me any longer
It usually is, especially when we get one of our sidemen to play with us. One of the finest pedal steel players in the area, or ... one of the finest dobro players. We perform as a trio, and get pretty good responses.

I also have a full band, and we draw 100-150 two or three times a month. Classic country is here to stay, as long us "old hats" keep playing it, and people keep dancing to it. I just wish I could get off of the bass, and get on rhythm guitar. I love that old cross-over style ... western swing ... but the current line ups won't support it very well.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I love that old cross-over style ... western swing ... but the current line ups won't support it very well.
For some years way back I had a rockabilly band. Western swing in a three piece band, kind of. I could do allot better job of it today than I did back then.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-19-2018, 11:33 AM

After further consideration, I'll go with this:

If the tune itself seems too simple, find a way to play it that makes it interesting.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:00 PM

No tune is too simple to play.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:31 PM

I agree. Sometimes the simple tunes encompass the strongest emotions. Mist Covered Mountains of Home is one such tune.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

Last edited by Wyllys; 05-19-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:45 PM

I think there's a tendency to lose sight of the art form in the narrow scope of a lesson-based mindset. Learning to play guitar as a first focus versus playing music confounds the free spirited muse. I think it's a perspective that could be 180° out.

I learned to play guitar a long time ago and since then have played anything and everything that comes to mind whenever I had a guitar in my hands. Last night I learned Music Box Dancer. It came to mind out of nowhere. I found it to be an easy progression and a couple of simple picking patterns. But, I took it the distance and can now noodle around with yet another chune in the bag.

I like to think that all music is simple because, once learned, it resolves itself that way. Going up the ladder for more and more challenging stuff leaves a trail of simple tunes behind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write