The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-12-2018, 06:16 AM
Guest 720

Default strings again....

Put Martin retros on my Rainsong, and honestly didn't like them the first couple days, then, after not having an opportunity to play for two more days, played it on day 5 and wow! Entirely different tone and feel to them after they apparently settled a bit. Sharp and bright the first day or two, but warm and mellow day 5 and thereafter. Really liking there tone a lot now. Just thought I'd share!
Old 05-12-2018, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the inspiration Hammerhead. I’ve got some retros in the drawer, in both light and medium gauges.

I have put some medium retros on my Martin dread and ,,, not sure ,,, but it prolly likes the trusty old PBs better.
Just been lazy (ok, cheap too) about trying them on either my X7 or 20 so far.

Mmmmm.... I could reclaim the strings off the long Martin and put ‘em on the short X7 . Bingo !

EDIT: In another flash of inspiration it just hit me that the fairly recent PB mediums that are on the X7 could then go on the even shorter scale GSMini , which really NEEDS new strings, the new PB mediums I had lined up for that can then go on the dread instead !

Live cheap, live happy.

Last edited by Long Jon; 05-12-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Put Martin retros on my Rainsong, and honestly didn't like them the first couple days, then, after not having an opportunity to play for two more days, played it on day 5 and wow! Entirely different tone and feel to them after they apparently settled a bit. Sharp and bright the first day or two, but warm and mellow day 5 and thereafter. Really liking there tone a lot now. Just thought I'd share!
Only string on my Rainsong for several years!
Love them, Love them!
Right now the Custom Lights(11-52's) have been in play the last several sets.

I totally agree with your discovery!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-12-2018, 11:31 AM

I tried the Retro monels on my RainSong Concert OM. I liked them, but I like the phosphor bronze Ernie Ball Paradigms better.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:29 AM
Guest 720

They are so different in that they literally sound way better after settling in, more so after a week or two.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber