The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-11-2018, 05:49 PM

I started on Bass long time ago. I can't think of any drawbacks other than playing by oneself isn't as fun as playing guitar but something about playing with a drummer is really satisfying.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
From time to time I muse about trying to learn bass guitar. I don't know why, since I don't gig anywhere, and mostly confine my playing to my home. I've been playing regular guitar for over 50 years, and still have a lot to learn there. But somehow the idea of playing a short-scale acoustic bass seems like an appealing addition.

For those of you who took up playing bass after you had already been playing guitar, are there any drawbacks? Is it likely to affect my playing of standard guitar. I guess I'm kind of hoping that adding the bass will actually contribute positively to my playing of standard guitar.

What has been your experience?
Can't hurt!

For your purposes, instead of the "acoustic bass guitars" some companies make, I would strongly recommend the Kala U-bass.

Info: https://kalabrand.com/collections/ac...lectric-u-bass

sound example from youtube (plenty more available): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfffmBWCry0
Old 05-11-2018, 06:31 PM

The biggest difference between bass and regular guitars is that bass doesn't work so well on its own. Without a band, a bass guitar player is just a lonely dude playing in his basement. That said, learning bass changed how I listen to music, and helped me get more out of my thumb when Travis picking.

It was nice to play bass for a few months, but I haven't touched one in decades. Don't miss it at all.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:24 PM

I began playing six-string in 1964. In 1973, I took up the bass, electric, Fender Precision. Since then, I have continued to play both. They are distinctly different, but both worthwhile. Music theory, chords and scales, work the same on both. I can’t imagine how learning bass could possibly interfere with your guitar playing.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:24 PM

i found that the acoustic basses that i tried just didn't cut it. really not a great acoustic sound and very difficult to record. they weren't loud enough with other acoustic instruments. so, i went with a electric fender precision and i'm glad i did. other than standup, there are a lot of acoustic acts that use an electric bass.

there are other threads on the AGF testifying to that point but please try it for yourself as everything on the AGF is subjective and you may love the sound.

p.s. as someone mentioned above, the kala ubass or similar short scale basses have a pretty good electric standup bass sound.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

Last edited by muscmp; 05-11-2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: ubass
Old 05-11-2018, 08:01 PM

Default Yeah do it. Bass is cool.

Ok, I've played bass since '69. My brain is wired as a bass player. Started paid gigs at 16 years old and still play 75 to 125 paid gigs a year today, mostly on upright. When I heard Jack Casady play solo bass before Jefferson Airplane started live I loved it. Then taking upright lessons with a symphony pro at 16 my teacher got the same punch, growl and power on a 150 year old Italian bass with a bow as Casady did with a wall of speakers.

Forget acoustic bass guitar and u-bass, unless somebody will pay and insist you play 'em. Uprights and electrics are where it's at.
No acoustic bass, u-bass or electric really sounds like a good upright, they just don't.

I have a room full of basses, uprights, fretless electrics, old fretted electrics, big dollar boutique basses, 5 strings, hand made uprights I got 'em all. All you need is any decent electric bass. I prefer long scale for a punchy sound.

You have to get into the instrument as a bassist. Don't be a guitarist who plays bass 'cause a band needs a bass. That sucks.

There is nothing more satisfying than playing great bass with a great band. There are no drawbacks to playing bass guitar.
various basses and uprights

Last edited by Casey86; 05-11-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:25 PM

I started out on a double bass, then took up acoustic guitar, then electric guitar, and then electric bass. In my opinion, there are no drawbacks with playing any instrument. I've been playing guitar for 50 some odd years now, but I still think like a bass player. Best of luck, just play and don't over-analyze it.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:48 PM

Default Try one more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
To this I wanted to add that it’s much easier to get a good bass tone from a bass with a 34 inch scale than it is from a short scale instrument.

Wade Hampton Miller
Recently I discovered the Ibanez Mikro electric bass. It's a classic solid body cutaway with a pair of pickups and a 28 inch scale. It takes regular bass strings, so you just trim off 1/4 of each. It plays effortlessly, intonates well, stays in tunes and bends notes ably. The three electric guitarists I jam with thought it sounds just fine. It's my first electric bass, so who am I to say? The lowest notes seem a little mushy and less defined, but that could be my basic Fender Rumble 25 amp, or my lack of signal processing. I'm happy with it, and at $180 new, much more than happy!

The side effect of this experiment is a renewed interest in finger picking. I haven't learned proper bass technique, but with thumb and index finger I can keep the notes coming at medium tempo. Taking that right hand technique back to guitar, I'm trending into country blues directions now. Before this, I almost always used a pick.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 05-11-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey86 View Post

You have to get into the instrument as a bassist. Don't be a guitarist who plays bass 'cause a band needs a bass. That sucks.

There is nothing more satisfying than playing great bass with a great band. There are no drawbacks to playing bass guitar.

Exactly! Dabble by all means and if you find you like it then take it seriously. I have played guitar and bass more or less equally since I was a teenager and have worked professionally with both throughout the years: my next gig (paid of course) is playing bass!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-11-2018, 11:56 PM

I played an acoustic before I was invited to borrow my bestfriend's bass rig to be the bass player in the garage band he was forming with his just out of high school neighbor.

I'd already gotten pretty acquainted with the notes on the fretboard, but bass made me really think about it more. Made me see it in terms of root notes, thirds and fifths. And made me more creative in crafting bass lines around chord progressions.

Now I own ~15 guitars, 20% of which are basses.

It makes me a more complete player, and I write my own songs and record them on this laptop (Reaper or SoundLab) and I can record all the parts I need to make a song- using the drum plugin on Reaper to create a drum section, or use acoustic percussion and a mic to record parts.

I say go for it, but realize that even the best acoustic bass guitar won't be heard over an acoustic. You'll still need some sort of amp.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey86 View Post

Totally agree. Bass was the fourth instrument I learned to play, but I think primarily like a bass player. I’d recommend that you spend a fair amount of time really listening to a lot of different styles and songs and players....and really listen to the bass line, how a good bassist lays out a rhythm line and builds it. Also pay close attention to what the bassist does not play, because the space between notes is just as important. But definitely don’t assume you can play a bass just because you can play a guitar. They are two very different instruments that deserve respect individually.

I can’t think of any drawbacks to learning another instrument.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 05-12-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-utim View Post
Started with the bass, then guitar. Going the other way round shouldn't matter.
Same here...being a bass player made me more "marketable" to bands 'cause everybody wanted to be a guitar hero...

Can't imagine any drawbacks to learning ANYthing new...

And, 'woof, I have always wanted a big ol' upright bass...
Old 05-12-2018, 06:57 AM

I can't think of any drawbacks. If you get a 4 string bass they will be the same as the lower strings on your guitar - so nothing to learn there. The space between frets will seem ridiculous for a little while, but you'll obviously get use to that. If you don't read bass clef that will be a learning curve - unless you never read bass music (in which case it won't matter at all).

The only big obstacle is thinking like a bass player. Listen to a lot of music you like with the bass cranked and concentrate on bass lines. Try not to play a gazillion notes.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-12-2018, 07:23 AM

Personally I would skip the acoustic bass and go straight to electric. I bought an inexpensive Squire Jaguar bass and love it. For my needs, ( and my friends) to record and fill in the bottom end its great. You will need a dedicated bass amp, used would be fine for home use,other wise it does not sound too good. If you play already just getting used to the larger strings is the most trouble you should have.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I have a couple of basses and use them for adding a little depth to the songs I record. I'm not very good, but I have fun! Ibanez makes a Mikro bass that's basically guitar scale. You can get one for under $200 and they are quite a lot of fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write