The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: Which CF guitar???
Emerald X20 17 42.50%
Journey Roadtrip RT660 0 0%
Rainsong Shorty/CH-OM 23 57.50%
Composite Acoustics OX 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2018, 09:56 AM

Default Upcoming N(CF)GD - choices, choices...

I've been trying to thin the herd a bit (not easy - people aren't really buying these days), but have decided that there's one niche I need to fill: I want an 'everything' acoustic. Something that I can leave out on a stand, throw in the trunk for roadtrips, and even potentially bring on longer trips. I've had an Emerald X7 for a few years, and have decided that for this sort of thing, CF (carbon fiber) is just the thing. I've had too many wood guitars require extensive adjustment (e.g. neck resets, etc.) and want something that is just plain ready.

I've been a good boy and have been saving up my referee money through the HS and spring seasons, and am getting close to buying. My current thinking is that I will buy either:
  • Emerald X20
  • Journey Roadtrip RT660
  • Rainsong CH-OM (or used Shorty SG - both 12-fret)
  • Composite Acoustics OX

Right now, I have enough to buy any of the last three options, and would need to save a bit more to get the Emerald.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I voted Rainsong CH-OM. I just got one about a week ago, and it is one of the easiest, most comfortable guitars I have ever played.
The clarity of sound is amazing, very piano-like, which I love.

Let me add, I've never played any of the other 3 guitars.

Last edited by jricc; 05-03-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I have an X20 on order that I should have in a couple of weeks. I made this decision due to having owned a 6/12 Emerald Chimaera, so I very much know what to expect, plus the X20 gets a lot of love here, arguably more than any other, so I feel very comfortable and am looking forward to getting it.

I’ve owned a couple of CAs...still have an ‘08 Cargo (bought new) that I love which serves its purpose well and then some...sold an ‘08 GXi (just to help fund the Chimaera) which was a nice guitar. It was a tad base heavy for my taste though. The OX is reported as a very good all-round guitar, and if the neck profile and tone is anything like the other two CAs I’ve had, it would be a contender. Some real good deals used can be had on OXs.

The only Rainsong I’ve ever played was a P14. The CH-OM is also a well liked guitar here. I’ve thought about the CH-OM myself, but haven’t encountered one to try it.

I haven’t played the Journey, but based on what I’ve learned about them, there is a niche they can fill, but it would be the last of your short list I’d consider.

Your list is kind of an apples and oranges one. If a full size guitar is what you want, the choice is really between the X20 and the CH-OM. The OX is a little smaller and thinner. The Journey more for travel and arguably the least desirable tone (based on hearing it in videos and reading reviews).

The CH-OM costs less, but it likely will come down to whether you like the Emerald tone (arguably more mellow, woody) or Rainsong tone (arguably more clear, chimey). Imo, the X20 is worth the extra money for what I want in a CF guitar. The Opus cost isn’t a whole lot more than the CH-OM, and is the same guitar other than color options and a few minor upgrades that have nothing to do with tone or playability as the much more expensive Artisan. To me, the Opus is a great deal...mine on order will be a custom, but not much variation from an Opus.

Hope this helps. Good luck deciding!
Old 05-03-2018, 11:12 AM

I've owned an OX and currently have a CH-PA and a CH-WS. If the CH-OM splits the difference between my two current CH instruments, then that is what I would recommend.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-03-2018, 11:50 AM

I voted for the CH-OM. I own the CH-PA and it is fantastic. If space in our vehicle on camping trips, etc. was not at a premium I would likely have opted for the CH-OM myself, since it is almost the same size as my Taylor 322ce 12-fret.

Later
Rob
Old 05-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Guest 928

I think the Emerald and Rainsong are the dominant players in your lineup. Before purchase, I'd make a point of playing them both. The choice will not be easy--both guitars are stellar.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:24 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I will add, if I’m not mistaken, the CH-OM is a 12 fret whereas the X20 is a 14 fret. Also, the Rainsong is a more traditional design/look whereas the X20 has a modern/avant-garde design/look. The soundhole placement is very different where the X20 is a combo soundhole/soundport which likely creates a somewhat different sonic experience for the player.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:10 PM

I would waste no more time and go straight to the classifieds here and buy that beautiful red X20 Artisan for $1700 ,
or possibly the Rainsong Shorty at only $1300 .

I bought my X20 second hand for that kind of price, mine is an earlier model (trapdoor pre-amp) than the one on offer ;
I still feel like I stole it.

Used is every bit as good as brand new with c.f. and stainless steel frets

I have never played any other c.f guitars , so I can only tell you my X20 is a terrific all-rounder and I love it.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

Last edited by Long Jon; 05-03-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: PS. I did not vote, cuz I have never even seen the others
Old 05-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I would waste no more time and go straight to the classifieds here and buy that beautiful red X20 Artisan for $1700 ,
or possibly the Rainsong Shorty at only $1300 .

I bought my X20 second hand for that kind of price, mine is an earlier model (trapdoor pre-amp) than the one on offer ;
I still feel like I stole it.

Used is every bit as good as brand new with c.f. and stainless steel frets

I have never played any other c.f guitars , so I can only tell you my X20 is a terrific all-rounder and I love it.

Good Luck whatever you decide.
The X20 in that ad (here) is a beauty. From what I see, the seller is presently asking $1,750 paypaled, but buyer pays shipping from Hawaii (not sure if that cost could be a deterrent). It never hurts to try and negotiate a better deal.

Jon also made a good point that the X20 has SS frets, whereas I believe the CH-OM has nickel.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:50 PM
Guest 928

Maybe it's time to take a trip to the island? Pick up a guitar and fly back together. Just think of the shipping charge you could avoid.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

I've owned three of your choices (the top three). I voted for the Emerald. While all three of them that I've owned were great guitars all three also had things I did not like about them. And only Emerald allowed me to order a custom model that took care of those things.

Since I was looking to pare down to just two guitars - one wood, one CF - it made sense to get exactly what I wanted and while pricey (although well below what a custom wood guitar would cost) it was still very much worth the added expense!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Seems to be pretty evenly divided between the X20 and the CH-OM. I owned a Shorty - it was a nice guitar. Currently have the X20 (and an X7) - they made the cut over the Shorty for me.

Human nature being what it is, people are most likely to vote for the guitar they have or have had experience with. Any of the 4 are nice guitars and would serve you well. The X20 has that great soundhole that imparts a great playing experience, and the comfort of that guitar (to me) leaves the others behind.

The Shorty (or CH-OM) is a safe choice, because it is more traditional in terms of what guitar players are used to seeing. The modern look of the X20 shows the design thought put into it - carbon fiber allows the designer to step out of the "traditional," and it seems to me that Alistair and crew from Emerald have best taken advantage of that fact.

Above all (again personal choice), the guitar has to sound great. I would again vote for the X20 above the other three in that regard, as well.

Ultimately, it comes down to what guitar does it for you. Not easy to find any of these in your local guitar shop, but the RainSong has the widest distribution.

Price is important, but this is a buying decision you will likely live with for a long time. Each of them are worth the price. One of these will be a great guitar for you.

Good luck with the decisions.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

If the Shorty sounds and plays anything like the Smokey I'd go for that....I just picked up a Smokey Hybrid and a CA GX Performer to A and B them and found the Smokey sounded more like what I was use to compared to the wood guitars that I owned. The CA GX will be going on the Auction block.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I should add that if not for going the custom route, I would probably go for the Shorty over the X20. I had the APLE model which with it's unidirectional top had really good tone unplugged, better for me than the unplugged X20. I didn't like the neck shape of either guitar, also did not like the stock pickups on either one. The Shorty did have a short scale (much preferred over the X20 standard scale) and also the neck joining at the 12th fret and body size/shape made it a more comfortable guitar as I preferred generally 00/000 size guitars.

Going the custom route for my X20 I was able to change the things I didn't like to what I preferred - short scale (24.6"), soft V neck shape, K&K pickup and then of course that beautiful cocobolo woody finish with amber back and sides. But if I was just considering stock options I'd likely lean towards the Shorty although I'd look for an APLE or an APSE as I'm not a fan of the plain black finishes of most stock CF guitars, Emerald included.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:24 PM

Tuff call..I have them all except my Journey folds up
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber