The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 11:45 AM

Default I'm loving my Yamaha LL-TA

I don't know if it's the guitar or me, but I can't take my hands off the guitar, and I'm becoming very unproductive in other spheres of my life. A luxury and pitfall of being a self-employed musician.

For the first string change, I put on the originals, Elixir 80/20 Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze. I wanted to hear the guitar as Yamaha intended. It sounds fantastic, but I don't know enough to opine about guitar strings.

I used to play at a professional level for pop music but a beginner next to the Al Dimeolas, Leo Kottkes, and Molly Tuttles. I hadn't played in 10 years, and keyboard has been my main instrument for 20 years.

I am having so much fun in my struggle to stretch far enough, squeeze hard enough, move my fingers fast enough, pick accurately enough. It is like yoga for my left hand. I love unusual chords, like barring the 3rd fret C chord with my pinky, so I can get the suspended F note on the first fret of the E string with my index finger.

I do wonder if I would have an easier time with a thinner neck, but I'm going to stick with this guitar for the foreseeable future. I do like getting that light reverb without having to plug in. I haven't warmed up to the chorus.

As someone who has been playing synthesizers and digital piano, I am mesmerized by the tactile feel of the instrument, and I even feel a sado-masochistic pleasure at the pain I'm inflicting on my uncallused fingers and weak left wrist.

Anyway, keep on jamming!
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Congrats! Those Yamaha LL's and the TransAcoustic guitars specifically are really great.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:31 PM

Yamaha make quality guitars for people at all levels of playing. Whether you're a beginner or seasoned professional they make a guitar for you. I just put a new Tusq saddle in my all laminated Yammy SCF08 dread and it's a very nice improvement in tone and playability even. The original saddle is plastic.

Having a guitar you're happy playing certainly brings inspiration. If it keeps making you want to play that's a good thing.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
For the first string change, I put on the originals, Elixir 80/20 Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze. I wanted to hear the guitar as Yamaha intended. It sounds fantastic, but I don't know enough to opine about guitar strings.
FYI, all of my guitars are strung with Elixir PB 12's. EXCEPT for my two Yammy's (F335, and FS-800). For some reason, the PB's sounded horrible. These two guitars sing with the Elixir 80/20's, also .12's.

Go figure!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

I have the FS-TA and it's gorgeous to look at and to hear. The effects are a nice touch and I have to say hearing reverb and chorus coming from the sound hole with no amp helps inspire playing this guitar longer than my others. I don't know how Yamaha did it but it's pretty innovative.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I have the FS-TA and it's gorgeous to look at and to hear. The effects are a nice touch and I have to say hearing reverb and chorus coming from the sound hole with no amp helps inspire playing this guitar longer than my others. I don't know how Yamaha did it but it's pretty innovative.
I'm glad you like your Yamaha as well. What made you choose the concert size? I'd like to compare the two some time.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
Yamaha make quality guitars for people at all levels of playing. Whether you're a beginner or seasoned professional they make a guitar for you. I just put a new Tusq saddle in my all laminated Yammy SCF08 dread and it's a very nice improvement in tone and playability even. The original saddle is plastic.
The LL-TA has a urea saddle. I heard that it has the same density as bone, but I think I'll switch to bone next year or when I get the guitar tuned up.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I'm glad you like your Yamaha as well. What made you choose the concert size? I'd like to compare the two some time.
I find the concert body a lot more comfortable these days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion