The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-18-2018, 01:40 PM

Default Dazzo and ToneDexter - any experiences?

At the La Conner Guitar Festival, I chatted with Teddy Randazzo of Dazzo pickups and heard him demo a few times. I was truly impressed by the sound quality and have arranged to have a Dazzo installed in a guitar I purchased (Irvin Guitars cutaway - NGD post soon).

I have been using K+K Pure Mini pickups with ToneDexter and loving the sound, although there is some conditioning needed for live use.

Has anyone had success with a Dazzo through ToneDexter? I imagine that it would be similar to K+K, but there may be some additional things to think about.

I did talk with one person (Pat something) that has been through everything, including ToneDexter, and now prefers just the Dazzo with the SunnAudio preamp.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-19-2018, 01:23 AM

I owned a ToneDexter for a short time and had my K&K equippped OM working with it - and it just never clicked for me. (This isn't a criticicm of the ToneDexter as it has clearly produced outstanding results for others).

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a set of Dazzo 70's, and I will be putting the signal through a SunnAudio Stage DI.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 05-19-2018, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the input.

My incoming guitar just got a Dazzo 70s installed, and the luthier says it sounds fantastic to him.

I'm hoping that using the Dazzo + ToneDexter with the anti-feedback feature will give me a high quality signal usable on any stage, anywhere.

2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-20-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Thanks for the input.

My incoming guitar just got a Dazzo 70s installed, and the luthier says it sounds fantastic to him.

I'm hoping that using the Dazzo + ToneDexter with the anti-feedback feature will give me a high quality signal usable on any stage, anywhere.
If your primary goal is playing live, I think you might find that you will achieve a fabulous sound with more hands on control using the Sunnaudio Stage DI.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:54 AM

Hi Gordon, I spent Saturday in the booth with Teddy at the La Conner festival. After that experience, all my guitars are getting the Sunnaudio onboard preamp. I have always run the Dazzo passive into a floor preamp, my favorite being the Red Eye and the Grace Alix. The Grace Alix wins hands down for it’s Uber clean warmth and surgical EQ. I still love the Red Eye and will use it in a pinch but replacing it as my favorite easy go to phantom powered DI is the Sunnaudio. I thought the Red Eye was clean. The Sunnaudio is smoother, makes the Red Eye Sound too crispy. The Sunnaudio compares audiophile wise to the Grace Alix. They are two different tools in my book though.

I say all that because that set up makes my ears believe that I am hearing a mixed guitar without the feedback issues a mic brings. I can get more volume than a mic, I can move around, etc. I am sure the TD is a great tool to fix or correct the flaws of a bad pickup. What if you don’t need to fix a bad sound? Is it necessary? The Dazzo is a great place to start. You heard his harp guitar and old Gibson and maybe the Uke he had at the show through a simple and plain Yamaha powered speaker. Did any of that sound like it needed fixing or anything more? If so, then the TD might be for you.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-20-2018, 09:18 AM

Vancebo,

Good to hear!!

Is it the TD-1 Tone Driver that you are favouring?

Cheers
Old 05-20-2018, 09:45 AM

Now please don’t go talking about the Tondedexter until you have driven it around the block. It is not about making a bad pickup sound better. It is not about a little bit of eq. It is a whole different enchilada. Imagine, instead of 10 bands of eq or 20 bands of eq, you had 2,000 bands of eq. That is the universe you are in with a Tondexter. That is why the improvement the Tonedexter brings to the sound of almost any pickup is about par with the Miracle of Lourdes.

Well I guess to be fair, the Miracle of Lourdes included the appearance of the Virgin Mary 18 times and that has never happened to me when I used the Tonedexter, but most people who have one of these (or who try them out) are pretty astonished at the difference it makes.

In any event, it is a mistake to think of it as just another preamp, something to take the quack off of a pickup. It is an entirely new technology.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-20-2018, 05:38 PM

Vancebo - thanks for the info. I probably walked past you at La Conner as I was there all three days showcasing Irvin. The only time I could see Teddy performing was at Sips with the old Gibson - sounded really good. He did demonstrate how well the pickup sounded merely placing it on a uke top.

I'll be getting my new Irvin guitar on Tuesday so I'll post impressions of the Dazzo alone and with ToneDexter training next week.

2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Old 05-20-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Now please don’t go talking about the Tondedexter until you have driven it around the block.
See my earlier post - I DID drive it around the block....!
Old 05-21-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Now please don’t go talking about the Tondedexter until you have driven it around the block. It is not about making a bad pickup sound better. It is not about a little bit of eq. It is a whole different enchilada. Imagine, instead of 10 bands of eq or 20 bands of eq, you had 2,000 bands of eq. That is the universe you are in with a Tondexter. That is why the improvement the Tonedexter brings to the sound of almost any pickup is about par with the Miracle of Lourdes.

Well I guess to be fair, the Miracle of Lourdes included the appearance of the Virgin Mary 18 times and that has never happened to me when I used the Tonedexter, but most people who have one of these (or who try them out) are pretty astonished at the difference it makes.

In any event, it is a mistake to think of it as just another preamp, something to take the quack off of a pickup. It is an entirely new technology.
Sorry, it is exactly about improving bad pickups. The TD would never exist if we were all happy about our pickups. Yes, it’s a new tech and it’s great us guitar players have that option.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 05-21-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Vancebo,

Good to hear!!

Is it the TD-1 Tone Driver that you are favouring?

Cheers
I don’t have a favorite. I will end up getting various versions in different guitars. Marc from Sunnaudio may come on here and correct me but I think they are essentially the same circuitry. I will also have a floor DI to play around with. Features vary with or without volume and tone controls.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 05-21-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Vancebo - thanks for the info. I probably walked past you at La Conner as I was there all three days showcasing Irvin. The only time I could see Teddy performing was at Sips with the old Gibson - sounded really good. He did demonstrate how well the pickup sounded merely placing it on a uke top.

I'll be getting my new Irvin guitar on Tuesday so I'll post impressions of the Dazzo alone and with ToneDexter training next week.
I was at the Saturday Sips show. I was sitting at the table with the host.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 05-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
At the La Conner Guitar Festival, I chatted with Teddy Randazzo of Dazzo pickups and heard him demo a few times. I was truly impressed by the sound quality and have arranged to have a Dazzo installed in a guitar I purchased (Irvin Guitars cutaway - NGD post soon).

I have been using K+K Pure Mini pickups with ToneDexter and loving the sound, although there is some conditioning needed for live use.

Has anyone had success with a Dazzo through ToneDexter? I imagine that it would be similar to K+K, but there may be some additional things to think about.

I did talk with one person (Pat something) that has been through everything, including ToneDexter, and now prefers just the Dazzo with the SunnAudio preamp.
Haven't had the pleasure of using a Tonedexter, but the Dazzo/SunnAudio combo is a winner. I've quit using my SM 81 in my studio in favor of the Dazzo/SunnAudio combo. Since the object of a ToneDexter is to give you a mic sound plugged in, I guess I'll just say I like the SunnAudio better.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-21-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Haven't had the pleasure of using a Tonedexter, but the Dazzo/SunnAudio combo is a winner. I've quit using my SM 81 in my studio in favor of the Dazzo/SunnAudio combo. Since the object of a ToneDexter is to give you a mic sound plugged in, I guess I'll just say I like the SunnAudio better.
Are you using the internal sunnaudio preamp?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Vance,
The TD-1 and the Stage DI are identical circuits with the only difference being that the Stage-DI has an active XLR balanced phantom power + passive balanced output.
The biggest difference in sound will be the cable running from a passive pickup system to the DI. There will much less difference running from a powered onboard preamp to DI, but still a difference with different cables nonetheless.

The BL-1 Blender preamp is virtually the same circuit in regards to response but is further optimized for low noise with two channels.

The LD-1 Line Driver is a purely a buffer amp that helps you run cable to your passive or active DI with much less cable variance.

Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I don’t have a favorite. I will end up getting various versions in different guitars. Marc from Sunnaudio may come on here and correct me but I think they are essentially the same circuitry. I will also have a floor DI to play around with. Features vary with or without volume and tone controls.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification