The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actaylor View Post
I have a CH-OM and love it. A good friend of mine here in Nashville is a renowned Grammy award winning producer and songwriter. The other night, he tried my new Rainsong and was blown away. I saw him a couple of days later and he said, "I can't get that guitar out of my head. It's incredible. I'd record with it any day." Before I bought the CH-OM, I tested the CH-PA. It is also a great guitar, but I'm glad I went for a slightly larger body style.
I would expect the CH-OM would be very close, if not identical to my Shorty SG (given the common elements of hybrid OM body, short 12-fret scale and unidirectional CF top.) To me, the Shorty sounds 'bigger' than its size would suggest. I'm a bit shocked at the sheer volume it can generate, and how well it adapts to hard strumming. It is perhaps the most responsive acoustic I have played in many years.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all, not sure I want a short scale, but if I have a chance to play one, I won't rule it out. I'm looking for something bigger sounding than my H-OM, though, otherwise it won't pay to buy another.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-21-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I would expect the CH-OM would be very close, if not identical to my Shorty SG (given the common elements of hybrid OM body, short 12-fret scale and unidirectional CF top.) To me, the Shorty sounds 'bigger' than its size would suggest. I'm a bit shocked at the sheer volume it can generate, and how well it adapts to hard strumming. It is perhaps the most responsive acoustic I have played in many years.
According to a rep from Rainsong that I corresponded with back a year or so ago, the dimensions are indeed identical between Shorty and CH-OM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Thanks all, not sure I want a short scale, but if I have a chance to play one, I won't rule it out. I'm looking for something bigger sounding than my H-OM, though, otherwise it won't pay to buy another.
Try a short scale instrument from Taylor (probably easiest to find) if you can't find one to play from Rainsong. It is certainly a personal thing, but once I tried the shorter scale (in my case a GS Mini), I was so sold on the "feel" of it that I have not looked back. It took me a while to realize, though, so try it either long or often unless you just don't care for it right away.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

I have a RS concert series 12 fret parlor that I special ordered. I'm continually blown away by how much I like playing it. My buddy has a 12fret concert OM which I play from time to time. The OM has a notch more richness but I'm always happy to get back to my parlor. It's plenty rich and has a clarity that has spoiled me to other guitars.

I'm a bare fingers player, so my experience might not apply to you.

btw, have found that Thomas Enfield plectrum strings are worth the money for CF guitars.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 05-24-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
For Rainsong, short scale implies 12-fret, long scale 14-fret. 12-fret has bridge lower in body, thus more bass -- don't know what you lose. I haven't heard an A/B comparison. I have CH-WS (12-fret), love it.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
For Rainsong, short scale implies 12-fret, long scale 14-fret. 12-fret has bridge lower in body, thus more bass -- don't know what you lose. I haven't heard an A/B comparison. I have CH-WS (12-fret), love it.
Jim, the short scale Rainsong models are 24.9" scale, not 25.5, though yes, they are 12-fret. I played a CH-WS today and it was surprisingly rich-sounding, though a bit too mellow in the highs for me. Very sweet sound and deep bass, though.

I played a Black Ice, and it was very nice, but the best of what I played today was a Classic WS. It was really balanced nicely from bass to treble. They didn't have a H-WS to compare, though I played an H-OM they had hanging up. It sounded kind of anemic next to the Classic. I wish I had brought my own H-OM because I played it when I got home, and I'm not really sure I even need to upgrade. Mine sounds pretty huge.

I didn't walk out with the Classic, though. First, the dealer (while pleasant) wasn't too interested in negotiating, and I wasn't totally convinced anyway, or trying all that hard. I am going to have a discussion with Ted/LA Guitar Sales, who sold me my original H-OM. He'll be able to help me zero in on a model, should I decide I want, and his pricing is always pretty aggressive.

That being said, if anyone has compared specifically the WS models, H and higher (now that I know the CH isn't for me), I'd still love to hear from you!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 05-24-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Jim, the short scale Rainsong models are 24.9" scale, not 25.5, though yes, they are 12-fret. I played a CH-WS today and it was surprisingly rich-sounding, though a bit too mellow in the highs for me. Very sweet sound and deep bass, though.
Mike, I should have said "short scale also implies 12-fret. I thought it was clear that short scale is shorter than long scale. I've got big hands, but still prefer playing 24.9" scale.

You are fortunate to be able to compare all those models!

Last edited by JimCA; 05-24-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
Mike, I should have said "short scale also implies 12-fret. I thought it was clear that short scale is shorter than long scale. I've got big hands, but still prefer playing 24.9" scale.

You are fortunate to be able to compare all those models!
Yeah, pretty silly remark on my part! I work in IT and can be way too literal. Sorry about that!

Yes, it was really good to be able to compare them. I don't know why, even at 5' 5" tall, I like a more full-scale guitar. The exception is a Taylor GS Mini, which is simply a lot of fun, and has incredible volume given its size.

What was very interesting to me was how much more robust my OM sounded than the one I played at the store when comparing that one to the WS models I played. I know the acoustics of the rooms are different, but it really struck me that mine sounded much fuller and louder all around. That's making it challenging to simply pull the trigger.

For anyone interested:

- The model with the offset sound hole was pleasant, but didn't stand out in any way and it was the first one I ruled out

- The CH, as I mentioned, very rich and warm but at the expense of some of the highs. The bass was not muddy at all, yet I felt it rumble against my chest, so I would call it strong and full, but pretty clear.

- The BI was nice, though a tad thinner sounding than I expected. I don't strum hard, perhaps it needs a little heavier hand to really bring out the best. I just felt it wouldn't really hold its own against another guitar, at least in my hands.

- The Classic ticked the boxes for me. Bass was strong and crisp, trebles were clear and present, enough in the middle to be heard, not too much to compete with my voice when singing. That's the right balance for me. i guess I'm a baritone, if that helps, singing between the 5th string A through maybe 1st string 1st or 2nd fret F or F#. I was able to get good volume with medium/medium light strumming, so it would be a good guitar for me for playing dynamics.

Hope this helps someone else comparing these models.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 05-24-2018, 07:14 PM

Funny, I have guitars with scale lengths from 22.5” (Fender 1960 Musicmaster) to 24” (Fender Duo Sonic, Emerald X7) to 24.75” (Gibson LPs, Guild Starfire) to 24.9” (Rainsong Shorty) to 25.5” (Various Fenders, Martin 000-15, Tak 12-string), and frankly, other than the really tiny Musicmaster, I can move from one to the other and hardly notice it. I think sometimes that the impact of scale length on playability is overestimated.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Funny, I have guitars with scale lengths from 22.5” (Fender 1960 Musicmaster) to 24” (Fender Duo Sonic, Emerald X7) to 24.75” (Gibson LPs, Guild Starfire) to 24.9” (Rainsong Shorty) to 25.5” (Various Fenders, Martin 000-15, Tak 12-string), and frankly, other than the really tiny Musicmaster, I can move from one to the other and hardly notice it. I think sometimes that the impact of scale length on playability is overestimated.
I'm like this with electric guitars. I have a 24.75" custom Telemaster, 25.5" Tele, 25" Reverend and so on. I go back and forth without a concern. I sit with an acoustic and instantly feel the difference and have a definite preference for a 25.5" scale. That being said, it's not like I couldn't take the GS Mini to a gig and play it, or won't enjoy sitting on the couch and working on some songs. Actually gassing for a GS Mini-e Bass! However when I pick up a full scale acoustic, I feel more comfortable and "at home."

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 05-25-2018, 08:50 AM

Actually - a slight correction: I will say that the Rainsong took a bit of adjustment for me - but not because of the scale length - rather because of the neck being joined to the body at the 12th fret. I find that especially at first I had to visually check to make sure I was on the correct fret, because the shorter neck simply didn't line up the same. However, after a couple of weeks, it's become second nature.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure I'd get used to, as well, much as I find I enjoy the occasional session with my daughter's GS Mini. Just had a nice conversation with Dave from Rainsong. Based on my description of what I heard and what I am looking for, he is suggesting a standard scale, either the Classic or Black Ice, with the main difference being visual.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 05-25-2018, 12:36 PM

Rainsong makes a number of nice models. I decided on a H-OM for its playability and electronics. It needed a complete setup but is as playable as my Taylor’s. Really great guitar. If you want great acoustic sound I recommend the Emerald X20 over the Rainsong. In my opinion it’s acoustic sound is closest to a wood guitar. It also has great playability. Emerald offers good electronics or you can add your own. It is a more than an H-OM but worth every penny.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Rainsong makes a number of nice models. I decided on a H-OM for its playability and electronics. It needed a complete setup but is as playable as my Taylor’s. Really great guitar. If you want great acoustic sound I recommend the Emerald X20 over the Rainsong. In my opinion it’s acoustic sound is closest to a wood guitar. It also has great playability. Emerald offers good electronics or you can add your own. It is a more than an H-OM but worth every penny.
Thanks for the input! I tried an X20, really liked it, but it wasn't as comfortable for me as many others here have found them to be. There is something about the body size/shape that made me really wish for a rib bevel to go along with the arm bevel. If I recall, if felt a bit narrower at the waste and other areas, and the edge rested on a particular spot on my rib cage. I'm pretty trim, so I have no cushioning. I went as far as suggesting a rib bevel to Emerald, after all if they can incorporate an arm bevel, it would seem a rib bevel would be something they could do. I guess I'm in a severe minority because they have not added that feature. I did like the tone, but not necessarily more so than my H-OM, and not enough to be uncomfortable. They are beautiful guitars, though.

However, I love the tone of my H-OM, really liked the tone of the Standard WS I played yesterday, and feel I'm not giving anything up in terms of tone by going with Rainsong. My plan is to hang the OM in the house as my "always available" guitar, and bring the WS to gigs.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber