The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2018, 12:20 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
The GT-1 is a step up from the GT-001 (and the GT-100). It is comparable to the Katana Amps (and I suspect the GT-1000)....
I have read that somewhere, the GT-1 having better converters or something like that, nice to know its true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
I found my AC-33 to be meh... it was OK, but..... For FRFR try to audition an IK iLoud portable amp.... or go in the Aux In of a Katana...
Or a QSC K8.2... Or a Behringer MPA40BT-PRO
Well, I want to believe that my AC-90 is somewhat better than the AC-33, if only for the neodymium 8" speakers + the pair of tweeters, but anyway, I'm not it that search right now.

Just selling some old/insatisfying stuff (Boss RC-300, Voicelive 3, POD HD500) to replace it with some new/exciting gear (A.K.A toys for musicians), just like most of us, isn't it?

I have to admit that after reading your answers, right now the Helix floor seems to have more than a slight advantage over my second option.
Thank you guys!

Last edited by Ed_Saxman; 01-28-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Saxman View Post
Well, I want to believe that my AC-90 is somewhat better than the AC-33, if only for the neodymiun 8" speakers + a pair of tweeters, but anyway, I'm not it that search right now.

Just selling some old/insatisfying stuff (Boss RC-300, Voicelive 3, POD HD500) to replace it with some new/exciting gear (A.K.A toys for musicians), just like most of us, isn't it?.
As I remember, I had no real complaints about the AC-33 (my main complaint was that the handle was so tight I kept breaking off fingernails trying to carry it , but I upgraded to a Fishman SA-220 which was the first real FRFR portable amp for me that was actually useable.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:41 AM

I compared the Helix guitar input and its aux input with my Martin HD28 fitted with a Seymour Duncan Wavelength Duo (great pickup by the way!) and I did not notice any difference in sound.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:35 AM

Interesting. My guitar is a nylon string, and there is a significant difference between "acoustic" amps voiced for steel string guitar and nylon string guitar as opposed to FRFR amps. In my experience, of course. I haven't tried in the Aux In, since the regular guitar input worked so well for me (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)...

The sound is ultimately a number of factors - the guitar pickup/preamp, the effects box, and (especially) the speakers, where "FRFR" really came into being only within the past five years or so. (The first speaker that really worked for me was the Fishman SA-220).

If you already have an excellent guitar it may not make a difference - but nylon string guitars have different voicing than steel string, not to mention electric - and not to mention Flamenco....
Old 03-05-2018, 05:11 AM

Talking

Quote:
So I have 2 choices right now: Helix Floor or AD-10+Helix LT+BOSS VE-20.
UPDATE: Got the Helix Floor!!!
Old 03-05-2018, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 AM

Smile

Quote:
The Helix is just awesome !!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification