The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin Dreadnought Jr. "Hot Rod" Possibility

I got a wild hair this weekend and bought another all-Sapele Martin Dreadnought Jr. to replace the one I sold a year ago and missed. I've had a couple, and they are so consistently good small-guitars that I can't wait for this one to hit my hands.

The only beef I have with Martin on these guitars is that they come setup with really high action, and I like mine quite a bit lower...kinda like James Taylor says "Just this side of buzzy", so I'm pretty sure I'll get my local luthier/tech to set it up right before I really spend time with it. But, has anybody really done the "real guitar" deal with one...like bone nut/saddle/pins, slot the bridge, lower the action and all? Has anybody had somebody like Bryan Kimsey "hot rod" the braces and stuff?

Does it make a great deal of difference in the sound/tone/playability?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:02 AM

Maury's sells options where they'll install a bone saddle and whatever type of pins when you buy it. They'll also do a custom setup, which would obviously be the best time to change the nut if you like. Not sure about who does what for scalloping the bracing and whatever else.

When I bought mine from him a couple years ago, I had him add a bone saddle and got a Geib-style case specifically for the Dread Jr.

Nick
Old 04-23-2018, 08:12 AM

I have the spruce top Jr. and had put bone pins in it (thanks, Maury!!).
A couple years later I was messing around and decided to try ebony pins.
The ebony added a bit more depth and a noticeable increase in volume and projection.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond View Post
I have the spruce top Jr. and had put bone pins in it (thanks, Maury!!).
A couple years later I was messing around and decided to try ebony pins.
The ebony added a bit more depth and a noticeable increase in volume and projection.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try the ebony pins in the DJr. I have Bob Colosi bone pins in my OM28, and can't tell any real difference...in sound I mean, cause they look real pretty! Your's is the Spruce top though. Wonder if they will crank up the volume/projection in the Sapele top?
Old 04-23-2018, 11:17 AM

I've had a Sapele topped D Jr completely overhauled by Jake Tuel of Burning River Guitars in Ohio. List of mods-
  • Complete refinish of body and neck-mahogany stain on back, sides and neck, aging toner on top and nitrocellulose gloss
  • bone nut and saddle (he sent me three finished saddles to dial in action and intonation)
  • Rosewood Headstock Veneer with CF Martin Gold Foil Decal
  • Grover Sta-Tite Tuners
  • K&K Mini Pickup
  • Also Added Bone Pins

Before, for reference

In Process

Finished Product

Not mine, but the back of one another AGF'er (Drplayer) had done by BRG. This is the guitar that inspired me to have mine done.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 04-23-2018, 04:57 PM

Jake did my D Jr. in the same manner he did DrPlayers. Its an amazing guitar now. I was telling Jake the other day that since I got my hot rodded D Jr. back from him I have not touched any of my other guitars. I love this thing. A dreadnought for the rest of us. Small folks unite!!!! LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion